Hello.
I've been playing the guitar for almost 3 years now but almost entirely playing while sitting down. I'd like to start practicing in standing position. Are there any suggestions on how to get started? How can I improve? How low or high should the guitar hang?

Thank you in advance.
David
ESP/LTD MH-100QM See-Thru Blue
Behringer GM108
Vox Wah-Wah Pedal
i find it has most to do with the height of the guitar. I tend to wear mine a bit higher because I like to play intensive things, but if you're mostly chording etc. then you can let it hang a little lower with no problems.
Quote by daverockz
How low or high should the guitar hang?
Try different heights and find the most comfortable for you. I like it low, you may prefer it high a la Tom Morello. There's nothing special to do really.
Its all about what's comfortable to you IMO. I used to play low at my waist but now i play with the guitar parallel to my stomach. I've also found it depends on the guitar as well. Les paul body types are a bit akward for me.
It's all about comfort and playability. Have your guitar at a height that suits you and your playing. Just play what you know when you are standing until you're comfortable, you'll then become fine with playing standing up.

Also, cumpolsary
Some general rules that can help you: lowering the guitar helps your right hand (a more natural, relaxed position), while the higher guitar positions help your left hand (better control and speed). Extremes in any way are not good. Your playing style determines what is better for you.

Also, try compensating with the position (angle) of the neck in relation to your body. I have my guitar quite low to maximize the potential of my right hand (I play some punk songs with my band so there is a lot of fast down picking), but I angle the guitar's head closer to me so it's easier to play for my left hand. Check this picture out:

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/0/7/107_artist.jpg?0639

Try different strap settings for some time and see what is best for you.
Last edited by ivan987 at Oct 1, 2011,
I have a bit of trouble playing whilst standing as well.

Find a height that comfortable to you (some people play the guitar down by their knees, others play it with the guitar almost choking them, find a height that suits you)

Practice the same way you do sitting down. Chromatics, chords, alternate picking, stretches etc. I'm guessing you have your own practice regime yourself so do whatever works for you.

Remember to have fun. If you're not having fun while doing it then you're going to resent playing.
is it a problem that it doesn't feel perfectly comfortable atm? will it improve?
Behringer GM108
Vox Wah-Wah Pedal
Try making sure your guitar is the same relative distance from you as when you're sitting down. It means you don't have to almost learn things twice - once sitting and once standing
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
this advice is 3 years late, but you should wear your strap in a manner that lets you play in the same position either on foot or sitting..
thanks for all the help.
Behringer GM108
Vox Wah-Wah Pedal
Sit with your guitar like you normally would when practicing/playing. Take your strap and put it on your guitar while still sitting. Put on the strap and adjust the length till it's tight around you. Done.
Quote by daverockz
is it a problem that it doesn't feel perfectly comfortable atm? will it improve?

No, you'll get used to it. You may even get to a point like me where you NEVER sit down to play. Actually, I can't play worth a shit sitting down. Moving around is part of my playing, I guess. I see no reason to change.

Plus, it's kind of hard to headbang when you're sitting down.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by daverockz
Hello.
I've been playing the guitar for almost 3 years now but almost entirely playing while sitting down. I'd like to start practicing in standing position. Are there any suggestions on how to get started? How can I improve? How low or high should the guitar hang?

Thank you in advance.
David

Stand up... put your guitar strap on, and play it at a comfortable height.
Did you really have to post a question on this?
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
Stand up... put your guitar strap on, and play it at a comfortable height.
Did you really have to post a question on this?

did you really have to give a stupid response?
the height has to be the same while sitting, if its comfortable for him to stand up with his guitar down to his knees its totally gonna f** him up when he sits and plays.
if its comfortable for him to play it at a weird angle that makes his wrist bend in an extrem way its gonna f** him up.

Refrain from useless advice when you have no idea or dont intend to explain, you could actually do harm.
Quote by Slashiepie
did you really have to give a stupid response?
the height has to be the same while sitting, if its comfortable for him to stand up with his guitar down to his knees its totally gonna f** him up when he sits and plays.
if its comfortable for him to play it at a weird angle that makes his wrist bend in an extrem way its gonna f** him up.

Refrain from useless advice when you have no idea or dont intend to explain, you could actually do harm.

Completely untrue. It doesn't have to be at the same height. There can be more than one comfort zone. I wear my guitar higher up when I stand that where it is when I'm sitting and I don't have a problem.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
To summarize all the bickering and such people have been doing:
It should be at a comfortable, playable height. It depends heavily on what guitar you have and such. Play around with it.