So I have been playing on a 30 year old Peavey musician series 400 for a while ... and a couple weeks ago it kicked the bucket. The repair cost estimation is $200 ... and as its 30 years old I think its better to get a new amp.

I now know that volume power isn't just based on watts but also ohm resistance. My Peavey was 200w, I have a 4 ohm cabinet and a 2 ohm cabinet which I have learned today is probably what did my amp in and I need to get them rewired to 8 ohms a piece I guess... the watt and ohm stuff is very confusing to me. If I get them rewired to 8ohms and get a cheaper amp like a 100w@ 4 ohms will that be a lot less powerful?

I want to try and stay around $350 which is pretty low for amp standards ... will it be possible to get something that isn't terrible? Nice tone hopefully? And actually an FX loop and/or amp loop feature would be nice too ... I don't know if this is even a realistic budget or not but any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
We need to know what type of sound you're after. Throw some bands at us, not just genres (because a single genre generally has about a billion different tones).

Also, would you be willing to buy used? If so, where are you located (so we can scan sites like Craigslist).

Do you need something for gigging or is this more for home use?
That's not resistance you are talking about, it's impedance. Resistance and impedance are totally different things. And volume power isn't really dependant on it. It mostly depends on the efficiency of your head. For example a Class A 30 watt tube amp will be just as loud (if not louder) as a 100 watt solid state because they translate volume better
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Quote by sammo_boi
That's not resistance you are talking about, it's impedance. Resistance and impedance are totally different things. And volume power isn't really dependant on it. It mostly depends on the efficiency of your head. For example a Class A 30 watt tube amp will be just as loud (if not louder) as a 100 watt solid state because they translate volume better

You're right in the fact that resistance applies to DC circuits and impedance applies to AC circtuis, but impedance does affect over all volume. The higher the impedance, the less volume your amp will put out.

With that in mind, you don't want to mismatch impedance in an attempt to get more volume. When you're cab is rated lower than your head, its like trying to pick up a barbell that is lighter than you think it is - you brace yourself for it and you end up over exerting energy. If you're amp is rated at 8 ohms then its expecting an 8 ohm load to be plugged into it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You're right in the fact that resistance applies to DC circuits and impedance applies to AC circtuis, but impedance does affect over all volume. The higher the impedance, the less volume your amp will put out.

With that in mind, you don't want to mismatch impedance in an attempt to get more volume. When you're cab is rated lower than your head, its like trying to pick up a barbell that is lighter than you think it is - you brace yourself for it and you end up over exerting energy. If you're amp is rated at 8 ohms then its expecting an 8 ohm load to be plugged into it.

I kinda figured it did affect volume I was more trying to say don't worry about the impedance, because it's more important to have it matched. Impedance shouldn't even factor into a decision on an amp
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
nah I don't really "gig" I just play at home and at youthgroup with friends. Youthgroup doesn't hold nearly the weight of a gig but I still need some power to max out the enjoyment. I don't really know what im talking about and that is why I posted on a forum ... I don't really know how tone is described .... I know effects aren't that important to me because Im going to be getting a digitech pedal later this year (I was going to get soon but now I need a new amp which is more important). Im not entirely sure what the difference is between tone and effects?? :S I like having control over my tone if that helps .... like for example when you kick on a boss metal zone MT-2 your tone control totally goes away, and there is no difference between gently brushing the string or slamming on it.

for a band example how about something like this? Project 86 - the Butcher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVBwLROY6t8

And as for used I would get refurbished or used from a retailer but I don't think I would want to risk used directly from an owner like on Craigslist.

Sorry if im not making much sense .... hopefully you will not lose patience with me
Quote by Blackdrag
nah I don't really "gig" I just play at home and at youthgroup with friends. Youthgroup doesn't hold nearly the weight of a gig but I still need some power to max out the enjoyment. I don't really know what im talking about and that is why I posted on a forum ... I don't really know how tone is described .... I know effects aren't that important to me because Im going to be getting a digitech pedal later this year (I was going to get soon but now I need a new amp which is more important). Im not entirely sure what the difference is between tone and effects?? :S I like having control over my tone if that helps .... like for example when you kick on a boss metal zone MT-2 your tone control totally goes away, and there is no difference between gently brushing the string or slamming on it.

for a band example how about something like this? Project 86 - the Butcher http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVBwLROY6t8

And as for used I would get refurbished or used from a retailer but I don't think I would want to risk used directly from an owner like on Craigslist.

Sorry if im not making much sense .... hopefully you will not lose patience with me

Tone is the overall sound of an amp - it includes the equalization (how the lows, mids, and highs are set) along with any clipping (distortion).

As far as buying used - its totally your call to make, but you can find extremely good deals buying from people on Craigslist (often times, people are hard up for money and will let things go for a ridiculous price). Stay clear of retailers when buying used because they generally charge more than what the amp is worth.

I'm assuming that you're gonna want to stick to solid state amps for now, since tube amps can be a bit confusing to some people. Have a look into the Peavey Vypyr series or the Vox Valvetronix series for starters and see if you find anything that strikes your interests.
Alright cool thank you I will look at those! Yah I am planning on going solid state for now. A friend offered to sell me a Marshall JCM somethin at a really good price but Id rather go the solid state route for now.

edit: but even a good price for that is still a little too high
Last edited by Blackdrag at Oct 1, 2011,
So on the Peavey website Vyper seems to do guitar modeling stuff .... i don't know if I know what im talking about but I don't want guitar modeling I just want some preamp to poweramp and maybe some built in overdrive on a second channel or something.

edit: actually ... im not sure if the concept I just stated applies to solid state amps .... solid state amps still have preamp and power amp right??
Last edited by Blackdrag at Oct 1, 2011,