Page 1 of 2
how was your guitar teacher?, see with mine he never did much music theory and always was go by eye or check youtube alot, i never saw him much he charged 15pounds per 45mins but i never learnt much, found i learnt more from piano teacher as she did theory and practical, these days i just self teach myself guitar, is your guitar teacher any good?, they probaly charge more than 15 these days i bet.
,sorry i ment to say 'go by ear' i was always confused lol 1st few weeks wernt very progresive, he had a 'come and go' feeling to him as he kept texting saying he cant make it for lesson but kept saying to check online for tips.
I had no teachers. I'm self taught, but a couple of years ago I decided to try some lessons at my local music school just to see if I could meet some people to form a band. My teacher was a fingerpicking guy and didn't have experience with rock and metal. I had 4 lessons but I didn't learn anything, he just gave me a few scales patterns to practice with.
I Teach guitar lessons, and as a teacher I am disgusted that people actually do that. not only was dude wasting your time, he potentially took business from someone who couldve offered you alot of insight. I am a firm believer in teaching music theory, reading sheet music and tabs, but most importantly i focus on my students. I give them 100 percent of my attention to ensure maximam retainability.
i had a good teacher but he needed to be kicked in the ass at times. one of the things that a lot of teachers seem to fall back on is just showing students how to play songs. more often than not they don't teach you why a guitar player chose to play the lead that way or how the chord structure etc works theory wise. i totld him i didn't want that i wanted to learn things that would make me a better guitar player. once you learn your way around a guitar you can learn to play others songs by your self. i challenged him and he challensged me so it worked out well.
I'm self taught as well but i took guitar class one year at school and.i pretty much had to unlearn ALOT of stuff, needless to say it was very tedious and made guitar feel like a chore.more than a hobby. Plus he had that "Im a badass guitar player and y'all suck" attitude. Plus he was a showoff. Most classes he'd bring in his huge pedal board and we'd watch him play guitar. "Consider it learning"
Didn't really like the guy just becuz of his arrogance, and the fact that his example of a perfect song was "Dig" by Incubus.
,im more rock, i find rock solos have more feel to them, dont get me wrong tho metal solos are advanced but rock solos from the black mages and akira yamaoka do it for me, its like ear candy if u hear 'theme of laura' from silent hill and 'battle with gilgamesh live' from the black mages.
He's the best. He's self-taught and knows a lot about theory, which helped a lot when he gave me a lesson on it. It was basically the notes on a piano + guitar and the names of the modes and stuff. The day before I moved he gave me a two hour arpeggio/sweep picking lesson. It was the shit. Also, I'm 16 and he's 19, so being pretty close to being the same age made him really easy to get along with and hang out with.

He works at Best Buy and they charged $20 for a 30 minute lesson. Since the store employees don't give lessons anymore they have a guy from another company come in to give lessons but he got fired for stealing stuff (I never met him though). Now I'm looking for a place to take lessons at, but in the mean time I'm teaching myself. I have no problem with that but it can boring + playing with new people is pretty fun.
,yea man u see its supose to be equally rewarding to play guitar and to teach it.
I had a teacher for like a month then I just taught myself it is allot easier that way. But it just depends what kind of person you are.
My teacher is very focused on "learn the techniques so you can apply them in a melodic sense" and theory a bit too. Good teacher, too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by monwobobbo
i had a good teacher but he needed to be kicked in the ass at times. one of the things that a lot of teachers seem to fall back on is just showing students how to play songs. more often than not they don't teach you why a guitar player chose to play the lead that way or how the chord structure etc works theory wise. i totld him i didn't want that i wanted to learn things that would make me a better guitar player. once you learn your way around a guitar you can learn to play others songs by your self. i challenged him and he challensged me so it worked out well.

I agree with you my teacher is very good on theroy but when i learned how to play aura lee without needing a book ( aura lee better known as elvis presley love me tender) he got real mad at me and i was so excited to show him so i totaly agree about tht alot people on guitar world think im anoying and stuff for taking poles and stuff but i do that so i could try to become better at lead i can play 7 nation army all the way throught by the white stripes but i would really like to play stuff like yngwie malmsteen , children of bodom, john 5 , and of course stuff by kiss theyre my fav band so learning to read music like dosent help me at all i need to read tabs so dont give me comments and stuff like this dude sucks
Ok, I get to give this spiel again.

My Teacher

Former Professional Musician...played with the group "Mount Rushmore" in the 60's.
Featured in Rolling Stone Magazine as part of their "top 100" bands of 1968 I believe.
Played in the Psychadelic rock band "Iron Butterfly", toured as well.

Currently played here in Idaho in a blues/Alt band.
Focused on theory/Blues improv. First song he had me learn was "Hotel California"

Great Teacher.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Mine's incredibly good. Lessons always felt more like a jam session where I was equally involved, and even with that atmosphere I'd walk away from most lessons realizing I'd just learned something completely new. Mostly self taught, but lessons with my teacher were great.
Never had a guitar teacher. Over six years since starting playing guitar, I started taking piano lessons, though.

We started off with basic music and sight reading, and she made me get my piano technique right before I could get into bad habits myself. She asked me to do scale exercises with proper fingering and technique, which I obliged, and I'm having a good time.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
My last teacher toured for years as the guitar player for Oscar Peterson, and a fair bit of other people I've studied under have won Juno's and Grammy's, and all of them had very solid grounding in theory and technique, no cheapo guitar store 'lets learn smoke on the water' sorts.
Never had a real guitar lesson. Might as well be that this wednesday I'm getting a lesson from Jake Bowen of Periphery. Figure my first lesson should be one of the best possible lol
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
i haven't had the best luck, but ironically today i just made arrangements to take a lesson on tuesday. he is a stellar guitarist and very down to earth, no BS kind of guy. i know him a little bit from seeing him playing with his band and my finacee took lessons from him last year. but hopefully he will do me some good.

it is funny when i walked into the store before i set up the tuesday lesson told me that they didn't have any teachers who could help me in my phrasing of lead in natural minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor.

but i am the type to take 2-3 lessons every six months to kind of resteer me in the right direction when i am in a musical funk. in which i am now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
My Teacher is great! It´s always kind of a Jam session, where we play something completely new together, and at the end of the lesson I realise hat I´m now able to play something completely new. Hé´s not the "Music Theory Type", so he doesn´t bringit in that much, but you learn about it too. I think this "balance" is important to help you when learning your instrument..
My teacher is fantatic, teaches me theory and how/why tunes are put together and when he senses my head is going to explode teaches me some cool licks to ground me!

His group, Verses, has just been voted one of the top 10 unsigned bands in the UK and they are about to start a tour supporting Puddle of Mud and Fozzy.

They have an EP in the can and are due to release it at the end of October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uJumjlLQFI&feature=feedu
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Last edited by CarbonToe at Oct 4, 2011,
He was a classic rock player who focused on guitar theory. I only took lessons for maybe a year because I wanted to be a brutalz shreddzor.
Check out my band Disturbed
Never had one?

Quote by DamagingExcess
Never had a real guitar lesson. Might as well be that this wednesday I'm getting a lesson from Jake Bowen of Periphery. Figure my first lesson should be one of the best possible lol

This is quality
My teacher is awesome! He's a brilliant player and he likes all the stuff that I like. He knows his stuff, and teaches me what I want to learn. I'm getting a much better understanding of theory than i've had previously, and i'm learning Vai stuff that I never thought i'd be able to play. I think he enjoys teaching me also, because i've been playing for 8 years already and have a good grounding. The only thing is he's only a year older than me which can be quite depressing, because he's very good!
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Me and my teacher are both college students, so that makes things less awkward. And I've learned more in a month about chord construction and theory and shit than I ever did from my marching band instructors when I played flute for five years. He plays mostly jazz and I play mostly old-school prog and melodeath type stuff, so we trade musical ideas all the time. It makes improvising really interesting. And he only $15 for 30-min lessons.
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Oct 4, 2011,
in my experience through guitar lessons i have maybe had a total of 20 guitar lessons over the last 7-8 years, i have learned that.

a good teacher doesn't teach you what you want to learn.

a good teacher teaches you what will advance you to the next level.

teachers who teach different aren't necessarily bad, but the first types will benefit you more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
He looked a lot like Satch, and he also liked Satch.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by StewieSwan
He was a classic rock player who focused on guitar theory. I only took lessons for maybe a year because I wanted to be a brutalz shreddzor.

And just look at you now.

Self taught. Guitar for Dummies was incredibly insightful.
My teachers were good but I never practiced. My second teacher I tried a bit harder for but that was because he was trying to teach me stuff for my A-Level course recitals.
OUT OF ORDER
My guitar teacher was awesome, really knew his theory and knew how to play so many styles. Piano teacher was an idiot though.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I've never had a teacher.

Though I wouldn't class it as teaching myself since I never sat down and learnt theory.
I just play along to tabs and look up youtube vids for techniques and fingering patterns for sections I can't play in a song.

To say I've been playing for 4/5 years I'm ok, but could be so much better. I'm just lazy because I don't bother with difficult leads, but can pick up a rhythm a lot quicker than most people seem to.
I taught myself how to slappadabass.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
You can hire a guitar teacher? Huh, how about that?

I might take some lessons this summer.
Smile when you say that.
Love my teacher like family, and I hate hearing people use a single bad teacher to typify all guitar instructors - It's all about finding a good teacher. I took a summer off from lessons, and when I went back I figured I was an awesome hotshot and would blow him away with what I'd figured out. I was humbled within the first minute, and ever since. He's never rubbed it in though, killed the ego without killing the confidence.

A good teacher will send you soaring when others are getting their footing down, and I'd definitely call mine good - jazz(See: Jazz) session musician(See: Guys who's entire job relies on doing everything well) from the 80's(See: Age of shred and complexity in commercially viable rock and pop music with guitars), he knows what he's talking about - he got me started on the basics I'd need to learn to be able to apply the theory to the instrument, build the ear so I can actually use the theory(Knowing theory without sharpening your ear first is like knowing a language's etymology without knowing the language. Cool, now what can you do with it?), then started working on the theory stuff with me, and applying more complex things to guitar.

People who say lessons turn you into a pantomime of your teacher are full of it. Yes, you can be good without formal instruction - there are plenty of examples. But it's a lot easier to avoid pitfalls that'll hold you back when you have someone who knows what they're doing telling you the proper technique. It's a lot easier to learn to drive with an instructor than sitting in the driver's seat and thinking hard.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
My teacher was really good. He taught me from primary school to my 6th form years.

His man focus was classical/finger style guitar, but also was well versed with jazz, blues and rock guitar.
He taught me how to read music (although I was a bad student and forgot most of it/didnt study) as well as tabs/chord graphs and scales-when to use them and why, how certain scales link with chord progressions etc etc.
He encouraged me to learn music theory a lot and pieces of music he had picked out to help me learn a certain scale or whatever, but also helped me learn a few songs I wanted to play.

Really good teacher, I was lucky.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
he was an amazing
technical player, he
played everything
perfectly, he didn't
teach me much
musical theory
probably because
he didn't know any
Whenever the Will to Power, in no matter what form, begins to decline, a physiological retrogression, decadence always supervenes.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
My first teacher really helped me learn how to play the instrument with proper technique, and taught me how to read music. He tried to teach me some theory, but I found it boring and it all kinda washed over me. I found another teacher for a year who was more into the feel of a song and how it was composed. I learned a bunch of theory from him, because the way he taught it made me actually interested, but my technique wasn't advanced much.
I should find another teacher sometime soon. I miss guitar lessons.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Page 1 of 2