Page 1 of 2
I've been playing for about 7 years, and even though I'm 14 my guitar teacher said he'd let me teach his new students (just beginners).

I have my first student coming in next week, and I get about $8 for a half hour, $16 hour.

I'm pretty exited

Yeah just thought I'd share with you guys, i'm just really exited so I needed to share it...

Pointless thread, sorry.

Cya
Literally nothing to contribute, you could have easily turned it into a thread and asked for pointers or experiences etc but no, you didn't and here we are in this awkward thread with nothing to talk about...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by StewieSwan
Excited has a C in it.

So does Cocksure. In fact, it has two!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Venice King
Literally nothing to contribute, you could have easily turned it into a thread and asked for pointers or experiences etc but no, you didn't and here we are in this awkward thread with nothing to talk about...

this

congratulations i guess
Quote by Saint78
You aren't getting payed much...

Paid...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Cool Story Bro

Edit: I see that UG is now filtering out my caps lock. Whats with that?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Saint78

This. Charge $20 for hour long lessons and don't even do half hour lessons.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by StewieSwan
Excited has a C in it.

i think he was referring to how his guitar teacher exited him after a nice practice session. that's why he put the emoticon instead of or .

Quote by GibsonMan321
Edit: I see that UG is now filtering out my caps lock. Whats with that?

IT HAS ALWAYS DONE THAT.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Saint78

Nor should he. A 14-year-old really shouldn't be teaching in the first place.
Check out my band Disturbed
Oh and for the first lesson, I'll teacher her how to play Eugene's trick bag. Pretty easy piece I guess.

Kidding, I'll teach her the parts of the guitar, what they do, how to hold the pick and guitar, and how to play a note.
Quote by J Mud
Ya... how much do you really know for being 14

Well considering he's been playing for SEVEN YEARS.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
$16 an hour and half of that goes to your boss? You're getting ripped off dude.

You can easily start your own classes, for more. Assuming you know how to teach.

Just the fact that you are having to give HALF to your boss while he does nothing is a ripoff.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
A few years younger than I was, when I started. But it should be doable, if you have the patience. Not every good guitarist is a good teacher.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by ryan_nadon
Well considering he's been playing for SEVEN YEARS.

I've been playing for 9 and I doubt I know enough to teach anything besides the basics....

My theory on teaching is, unless you have guitar theory committed to memory, and you can play pretty much anything you want, you should not be teaching. You're just ripping off your students in the end.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by rockfan7
Be prepared to teach kids songs you hate.

This. Lots and lots of this.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by rockfan7
Be prepared to teach kids songs you hate.

**** them! We're gonna be learning exercises and theory, bitches!
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
She wants to learn Taylor Swift and play country music.
I'll teach them whatever they want to learn...

I'll probably send her to my boss for him to teach her once she knows the 7 modes of major/minor, scales, technique and can improvise. (same with my future students)

Yeah I know giving half to my boss is kind of cheap, but he is hiring me even though I'm young and he's trusting me. Also, I have to work for about 10 hours for $42 every week doing outside labor, so this is a lot better compared to that.
Quote by ShredWithEd

I'll probably send her to my boss for him to teach her once she knows the 7 modes of major/minor, scales, technique and can improvise. (same with my future students)

Yeah I know giving half to my boss is kind of cheap, but he is hiring me even though I'm young and he's trusting me. Also, I have to work for about 10 hours for $42 every week doing outside labor, so this is a lot better compared to that.

Genius.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by ShredWithEd

Don't teach theory. Leave that to your boss.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by ShredWithEd
If you have any other ideas feel free to tell me them instead of laughing.

Just can't believe you didn't mention the harmonic minor, melodic minor, diminished scale or anything about classical fingerstyle.

In all seriousness, most students just need to know open chords then want to start playing songs.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King
Just can't believe you didn't mention the harmonic minor, melodic minor, diminished scale or anything about classical fingerstyle.

In all seriousness, most students just need to know open chords then want to start playing songs.

I'll teach her those too, and fingerpicking too since she likes country.
I will teach her classical guitar if that's what she wants.
Quote by ShredWithEd
I'll teach her those too, and fingerpicking too since she likes country.
I will teach her classical guitar if that's what she wants.

I was joking because what you plan on doing sounds dreadfully wrong.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King

Yup. I feel bad for the kids he is going to "teach".
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Venice King

Any serious constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.
Quote by ShredWithEd
Any serious constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

I already said.

Teach beginners a few open chords, then instantly get them started with songs THEY want to learn. Keep learning songs and gradually introduce more and more chords/techniques that will advance them. Don't talk about theory. Very few people want to take that approach to music and at the very beginning is just not appropriate.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Wow geez haha, can't see this ending well. When i was 14, i had the attention span of a 13 yr old and God knows you need to be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr patient w/ beginners.

Also, find the n? xD

Edit: Pfft, UG messed it up
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by Lennon993
Wow geez haha, can't see this ending well. When i was 14, i had the attention span of a 13 yr old and God knows you need to be verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr patient w/ beginners.

Also, find the n? xD

Edit: Pfft, UG messed it up

So I'm assuming you're atleast 15 right now.

Well that's depressing.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Quote by Venice King
I already said.

Teach beginners a few open chords, then instantly get them started with songs THEY want to learn. Keep learning songs and gradually introduce more and more chords/techniques that will advance them. Don't talk about theory. Very few people want to take that approach to music and at the very beginning is just not appropriate.

That's what I'm going to do, but don't you think she should know what each part of the guitar does and how to hold it and a pick?

Once she can play a note I will have her bring in some CD's with songs she wants to learn, I'll tab them out for her/teach her how to play them.

Eventually after she knows all proper technique and the modes scales ect I'll send her to my boss for him to teach her.
Quote by ShredWithEd

Seriously?

You probably don't really even need to know modes so your beginner students definitely don't. Good luck I guess but you should definitely come up with a solid lesson plan before the lessons start.

In my opinion the teacher's job is not to teach the student just what the student wants to learn but more importantly what they need to learn. The student can learn the songs they want on their own time. As the teacher your job isn't to teach them songs but to teach them the techniques and the information they'll need to learn any songs they want/need to.
o.O How is that depressing?

And i'm actually {15*3}+9}/2}
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
I'll teach the student what they want to learn so they don't get bored.

When they get bored of playing the pentatonic scale over and over again I will teach them the modes. I'll try to keep them interested in the guitar, not bored. But yes they will learn theory and everything else.
boo hoo, it doesn't matter if the student is bored for a half an hour or an hour a week. If they want to learn the instrument they'll be playing for at least another 1 hour each week (preferably each day if they have time) and they can play what they want then. I've taken lessons where the teacher just teaches what the student wants to learn and you know what it leads to? Nothing.

Also, why not teach them the actual major and minor scales before the pentatonic versions?
Page 1 of 2