Today when I was in Long and McQuade I picked up an Epiphone Zakk Wylde LP, and the neck was slimmer than I expected. It was alot different than my old teachers studio, which just felt awkward to me. Is this just the Wylde LPs with this neck? Or can I find a something similar that is both Gibson and doesnt have such a.. uh... distinctive paint job? Lol
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
IIRC, the Zakk Wylde Les Paul is made with a slimmer, maple neck. The standard Les Paul is fatter, though there a several different types, namely 50s and 60s profiles. The 50s profile is fatter and is the standard Les Paul Studio neck, while the 60s profile is slimmer and is on the 60s tribute Studios. If you see a Les Paul Studio with a faded finish and P90s, that is likely the 60s tribule, so you could try that out and see how it feels. I don't believe the 60s tribute will be nearly as thin as the Zakk Wylde sig though.
There's way more neck profiles than that for both Epiphone and Gibson. They do asymmetric ones, flat D ones, the 60s one comes in both 60s and 60s slim taper, there's the 50s neck and then the 57-59 neck that the custom shop has, the neck on the prophecy guitars, the SG profile, the neck of the Eltisits and then with Gibson you gotta remember those necks are sanded down by hand so there's some slight variation there too no matter what the spec says the neck is meant to be like.

This thing about Gibsons and especially Les Pauls having gigantic necks is blown way out of proportion. In truth even the thickest Gibson neck is only about 1.5mm thicker than most Fender necks which are in turn only about 1mm thicker than most ESP and Jackson and Ibanez necks, other than those 17mm Ibanez necks which are like playing on a piece of paper.

For a real thick neck try a real old Telecaster. Those ones can be over an inch thick at the 1st fret.
Usually what most people complain about on Gibson necks isn't really the thickness, but more or less the shape. Most I've played are real wide and flat, not my cup of tea. I'd go with the other guys and try the 60's tribute Les Pauls, those would maybe get closest to that shape.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Haha well if I ever get that chance I'm sure I'll jump on it.

The problem I had with that particular neck wasn't so much the thickness as it was the shape. It was more U-shaped I guess, too much for my girlie hands to hold lol. Anyways, I looked on Gibsons website (as best as I could on my phone at work) and couldn't really find a name of the particular neck on that guitar.
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
You know it's funny, my Epi feels VERY different from any other epi I've played, the neck is considerably slimmer and less cumbersome.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hmm I guess I will just need to try out a lot of guitars when I come to that bridge
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby
I think Zack has a custom neck and maybe they copied that. I could be wrong! I have a standard lp neck and it's pretty thick but it's no problem. A lot of people prefer wider slimmer necks but I never have. I think the problem with the lp neck for some is the thumb grip but each to there own.
Quote by grohl1987
This thing about Gibsons and especially Les Pauls having gigantic necks is blown way out of proportion. In truth even the thickest Gibson neck is only about 1.5mm thicker than most Fender necks which are in turn only about 1mm thicker than most ESP and Jackson and Ibanez necks, other than those 17mm Ibanez necks which are like playing on a piece of paper.

The exaggeration probably comes because those slight differences in measurement translate to a massive difference in the feel of it.
60s slim taper all the way. i have the epihpone custom and im pretty sure its got a 60s slim taper. if i doesnt, it certainly has a thinner more graceful neck than just about any other gibson/epiphone ive ever held.