Avant-Garde Technical/Progressive Instrumental metal band from New York, formed in 2001.

The band focuses upon complex song structure coupled with complex phrasing and dissonance, which yields this amazingly strange and unique sound.

Guitar is Mike Lerner, Warr guitar is Colin Marston (Who is also now playing for Gorguts), and the drummer on their releases is Charlie Zeleny. (Who played on Blotted Sciences "Machinations of Dementia".

Zeleny, who left the band in 2008, was replaced by Weasel Walter in 2009.

They've released demos in 2002, a Split release with Orthrealm, and two full albums, Nano-Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning in 2005, and Skullgrid in 2007. They also confirmed in 2009, that they are writing "new, more extreme material from scratch."

Behold... The Arctopus - Wikipedia

Songs of interest.

"You Will Be Reincarnated as an Imperial Space Attack Turtle"

One of their more straight forward songs, I've been almost obsessing over it for the past several hours. Points of interest are 1:47 and 3:40, although theres a lot more great material than that. I can't help but imagine a turtle flying through space at the ending.

Canada

2:40 is a great section, really unique song.

Some Mist

Great atmosphere throughout the song, probably one of their most conhesive and melodic.

I searched and couldn't find a thread, which kind of surprised me. Can't wait until they release another album.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Oct 1, 2011,
i am quite fond of this band.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I like 'em. People love to shit all over that video they have though of them playing one of their songs.

I don't think that "Alcoholocaust" does the band the justice they deserve, as its this video that everyone thinks of when they hear Behold... The Arctopus.

Alcoholocaust (Guitar One)

Drums and production do wonders for the song, as this is about a hundered times better.

Alcoholocaust (Album)

Honestly, I think these guys are geniuses.

Edit: Holy shit, 1:40 in the album version is ****ing awesome.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Oct 1, 2011,
this thread is
relavant
to my
interests

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
BTW, I plan on learning "You will be reincarnated as an Imperial attack space turtle" by ear. I should be able to get the first half pretty easy as it's fairly straight forward. If I get it, I'll try to make a tab and submit it. Wish me luck.

I'm also going to stop posting in here for awhile, let it try to get some momentum on its own.

Edit: Heres another one that I think is a gem. Probably my second favorite next to Space Turtle. Which I've learned the first 4 minutes of by ear.

Exospacial Psionic Aura
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by Life Is Brutal
I don't think that "Alcoholocaust" does the band the justice they deserve, as its this video that everyone thinks of when they hear Behold... The Arctopus.

Alcoholocaust (Guitar One)

Drums and production do wonders for the song, as this is about a hundered times better.

Alcoholocaust (Album)

Honestly, I think these guys are geniuses.

Edit: Holy shit, 1:40 in the album version is ****ing awesome.

You're absolutely right, it is 100 times better on the album.

Still don't like it. I will admit that it is interesting, though.
Meh. It's all impressive technically but it serves no purpose. No ideas expressed, themes explored, emotions brought out, etc. You could argue that there is some meaning with all of the dissonance like they are trying to create some tense, schizophrenic mood but you'd be wrong. They obviously went far out of their way to make sure everything was as complex as possible. Definition of wank. Originality doesn't instantly make a band good, it only counts if the music was decent in the first place.

EDIT: That and it's extremely tedious to listen to, grating really. Lacks the mass appeal and catchiness to be successful popular music and has no artistic merit from what I've heard.

Last edited by Born Headless at Oct 2, 2011,
i remember when skullgrid came out and i thought it was the best thing that had ever happened. but i really don't care for them at all anymore. i suppose i will at least check out the new stuff when it arrives.
Quote by Magero
I am a deathcore musician. I am above mere mortal minds.
Still sounds like pretentious wank to me... I don't think I'll ever get this band... nor do I really want to.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Born Headless
Meh. It's all impressive technically but it serves no purpose. No ideas expressed, themes explored, emotions brought out, etc. You could argue that there is some meaning with all of the dissonance like they are trying to create some tense, schizophrenic mood but you'd be wrong. They obviously went far out of their way to make sure everything was as complex as possible. Definition of wank. Originality doesn't instantly make a band good, it only counts if the music was decent in the first place.

Well put.

This band fails in a way that many death metal bands actually succeeded, the utilization of the riff-salad song structure. Whereas death metal acts used this structuring to free their compositions from expected or accepted formations in their exploration of the macabre, this band uses it out of a combination of laziness and lack of coherent vision.

Their use of dissonance and weird shit seems of much less significance than the aforementioned.