Hey,

When I walked into my local music store (Long & McQuade) I noticed something.

Whenever somebody would go to try out a guitar or amp every few minutes (it was a busy day at the store) they would play the same kind of blues:

You know: Stevie Ray Vaughan/John Mayer/80's-now Clapton/clean Hendrix played with a fender/clean amp and a fair amount of reverb.

I don't judge against people's playing or what artists they like (people can do whatever they want, free world, right?), but again and again new people would be testing out something and be playing in the same style.

But isn't it weird that there are so many people playing in the same style? Shouldn't a guitar player try to find their own "voice" or their own personal style?

You never hear anybody playing anything by Muddy Waters, Son House or Howlin' Wolf...... shouldn't there be more consideration for where blues music originated from?
Well yeah, but the type they play is easier, requires less music knowledge, and is more commonly found. Look up Jimi Hendrix tabs and look up Howlin' Wolf tabs, which has more?
you're a stone fox
Quote by RGallagherFan
Hey,

When I walked into my local music store (Long & McQuade) I noticed something.

Whenever somebody would go to try out a guitar or amp every few minutes (it was a busy day at the store) they would play the same kind of blues:

You know: Stevie Ray Vaughan/John Mayer/80's-now Clapton/clean Hendrix played with a fender/clean amp and a fair amount of reverb.

I don't judge against people's playing or what artists they like (people can do whatever they want, free world, right?), but again and again new people would be testing out something and be playing in the same style.

But isn't it weird that there are so many people playing in the same style? Shouldn't a guitar player try to find their own "voice" or their own personal style?

You never hear anybody playing anything by Muddy Waters, Son House or Howlin' Wolf...... shouldn't there be more consideration for where blues music originated from?

bold and red contradict.
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Last edited by Controlpanel at Oct 1, 2011,
It's safe. It's really easy to forget how to play at guitar center.

Also, people are into a certain tone, so it makes sense that if they want to sound like SRV, they would play SRV when testing out gear.

The real question here is: Why do you care what someone else is playing?
Sometimes its because its all they know how to play. It seems that in all the guitar stores I go to everyone plays to show off. Its quite annoying really. I'll go in there and actually test out the guitar or the amp. I'll specifically test out all the frets and the response from the pickups or see how the amp responds at certain volumes and settings. I get the worst glares from people when I do this. They either think that I suck or that I'm some douchebag trolling the store. For some reason they just think its customary to play something everyone in the store can enjoy, which is why you'll hear more Hendrix and Clapton over Muddy Waters. Bsides, Muddy Waters isnt as well known, so they probably wouldnt get attention or pats on the back for playing his music. In other words, these are attention *****s trying to look cool or people that feel pressured to play something impressive. Not everyone feels comfortable playing in front of other people.

I completely agree though, its important to know where the music originated, but its not always the most popular route.
^^ agree with this. I forget 90% of my musical catalog whenever i go into a store (and hit myself later for not trying a particular thing out) and there's just those songs that are fun to play and sometimes you got to see how the sound differs on the store equipment vs. your equipment. Also, what kind of delightful music stores do you go into where you hear too much blues instead of certain...other genre's.

edit: ninja'd
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Quote by RGallagherFan

If they don't wanna play this they they don't have to. They're trying out what they will use the gear for. Don't get me wrong i love everyone you've named but they should just play what they are going to play.

Also other stories reminded me of a time i went into my local shop and heard a dude playing The Wind Cries Mary. I thought it would be lolage to play it with him and maybe even get to know him. About 2 seconds in he shreds his ass of and it almost seemed like a contest. lol. He just responded to a Jam jesture with " STFU i'm shredding bro!". Needless to say standing at the cash next to him was awkard
Well honestly it's not "Sterile" blues. Blues is probably one of the most expressive ways of playing. When people begin to play no matter at what age, they don't have that much if any control over the instrument. So their technique will obviously be just as flawed, it may sound sterile but that person is legitimately trying to express themselves and what they feel. Some people just can't, my friend plays funk and blues and it's sloppy yeah but he trys extremely hard and he's not trying to show off. He just doesn't have that kind of control you're hearing on the CD's from professional guitarists.

Of course, people are there to show off too. But whenever I'm at a store and I'm testing out an instrument, whenever I go through genres to test how it can fare in each setting people actually enjoy it and listen. Honesty goes a long way, I enjoy playing jazz for it's satisfying and relaxing feel, I also love country but I am terrible at chicken and hybrid picking. Doesn't mean it's sterile, I just haven't harnessed that technique enough to "impress" you, the other customer at that store. Which I'm most definitely not there to do.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez RGA121 (Employee Custom)
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
And you care about what people play at a guitar store?

I play uber chugs and magically switch into 12 bar blues solos. There's nothing really wrong with that, unless you hate both of those.
when i go to a music store and am looking at either a guitar or an amp here is what i do and why.

if i am trying out a guitar, i plug it straight into an amp that i am familiar with if i didnt bring one in. i set the amp on the midst of breakup and will adjust the volume and tone pots on the guitar and get it to the point where it is strictly pick sensitivity between clean and dirt. so i have a few bends i will throw up for that, and do play a few isolated bars of blues to just see how she feels. i will play a few scales up and down the neck, and if it passes that it either goes up on the rack, or if i am in the mode to buy, than i check the fret levels, and really get her all checked out. i will rotate the tuning pegs both directions to see if there are nut issues for all strings (i retune, so dont think i am one of those people who just detune everything), and that the tuners are solid. after that i am out the door. however i usually know about what i am looking for when i go there.

if its an amp i wont buy unless they can pull a brand new one out of the back. tube amps get abused too much in a shop.

it doesn't matter what anybody thinks of my playing, although i have met a few people i jam with occasionally if they come over and take interest in my playing.

but again i go there to buy not sit on a bench and woo people with their playing abilities.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
look at it like this....

at least they aren't part of the elite team of spider sweepers.....

damn i hate those guys
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
look at it like this....

at least they aren't part of the elite team of spider sweepers.....

damn i hate those guys

I'll never understand the hatred for sweep picking. It's really hard to learn, I've been at it for over a year and am barely getting 5 string sweeps down. It sounds really awesome when perfected. I know it's seems to be popular to hate show-offs and try-hards these days, but if that's how someone wants to play, let them.

There's not right or wrong thing to play. If one person feels like playing "smoke in the water" or "stairway to heaven" at the music store, that's up to them. If another feels like noodling, that's their choice. Even if they don't do it justice, they have to play something.
People are probably equally tired of you playing your shitty metalcore songs. Give them a break and don't judge.
Quote by W4RP1G
I'll never understand the hatred for sweep picking. It's really hard to learn, I've been at it for over a year and am barely getting 5 string sweeps down. It sounds really awesome when perfected. I know it's seems to be popular to hate show-offs and try-hards these days, but if that's how someone wants to play, let them.

There's not right or wrong thing to play. If one person feels like playing "smoke in the water" or "stairway to heaven" at the music store, that's up to them. If another feels like noodling, that's their choice. Even if they don't do it justice, they have to play something.

I think it's the general consensus of people who can't really tell if they need to practice and work on their playing that piss people off. Sloppy continuous sweeping is extremely annoying, but if I hear someone pull it off cleanly I'll tip my hat to them because that shit's hard haha. I've just started slowly practicing 5 string sweeps.

And once I played Stairway in a more swingy, R n'B style and the people that worked there enjoyed it haha.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez RGA121 (Employee Custom)
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
not that i hate sweeping, i love it actually.

but people just grab an ltd, head over to a spider

and dont stop sweeping.....the good ones OR the bad ones....its just to generic in my area
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I play the same few basic classic rock riffs whenever I try any gear out in a shop. Not because that's what I play or what I want to play, just because it's easy, we've all heard it a thousand times before so it makes a great reference point when trying out gear. If you try out two guitars but play different things on each then you're not really comparing them very well. If you try out two different amps and set them for two different tones then you're not comparing them well. When I try gear I play the most standard, middle of the road classic rock rhythm and blues lead lines possible. I have the amps set with all EQ controls in the middle and I play the same thing on every guitar.

Yes, it's boring. But it's the best way to compare two pieces of equipment.
that sounds like me

EDIT: serious answer, though- when i'm in a guitar shop i'm trying guitars (or amps or effects), i'm not showing off my chops or most obscure influences.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always play The Kids Arent Alright to test the overdrive and Johnny b. Goode to test the clean but its redundant anyway because my local guitar shops have booths for testing guitars