Hey I just stumbled across this guitar at a music store, and i loved it. The finish, style, pickups, neck, tone everything really. When I came home to look it up, i figured out it was discontinued. What did it go for when it was out, and does anyone think I could ever find a used one for around 300?

EDIT: I figured out the more specific model is an ESP LTD H-401FM (strat style body)
~~~...:::My Gear:::...~~~
~.:.ESP LTD H-1001FM.:.~
~.:.Peavey Vypyr 15W.:.~
~.:.DigiTech RP355.:.~
~.:.Roland MicroCube.:.~
Last edited by Diesel Weasel at Oct 2, 2011,
thats not it. it wasnt a viper, and it was orange with an amazing flamed maple top
Just don't buy ltd. With EMG 81&60, and their bad wood, they have lots of noise, and a bad sounding heavy bass. And for 300$, it won't be easy to find a good guitar with emg.
EDIT: I figured out the more specific model is an ESP LTD H-401FM (strat style body)

It had duncan pickups, mahogany body, set maple neck, and a bright orange flamed maple top

I always thought mid range LTD's were a good buy?
LTD's are a good midrange guitar. I don't belive they make that color right now, so it most definately is an older model. I prefer the MH style a little better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just keep an eye on ebay. There are a lot of LTD models that are pretty rare now (rare finishes etc.), so all you can do really is just keep checking the used market. Stuff pops up every now and then. I don't think you'd be able to get a 400 model for $300 though. More like $400.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Is this guitar worth it? It really does have everything I want, but not sure. I was thinking about an Ibaneez Rg2ex1 with new pickups but this might be worth the extra cash
I have whole ton of Ibbys and this exact guitar. To be honest I find myself picking up the LTD more often. Might be cause it's new. I dunno. I have the exact guitar your looking for though. I'd consider selling it if I could get enough cash for it. PM me if your interested. This one right?
Quote by Diesel Weasel
thats not it. it wasnt a viper, and it was orange with an amazing flamed maple veneer

Fix'd

Anyway, LTDs are good low-midrange guitars, I'd say if you liked it, go buy it.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Is this guitar worth it? It really does have everything I want, but not sure. I was thinking about an Ibaneez Rg2ex1 with new pickups but this might be worth the extra cash

An LTD 400 model is a far superior guitar to an RG2EX1. 400's are at least double the price new.

Not saying that the RG2 is a bad guitar, I actually quite like it and recommend it a lot, but the 400 is just in a slightly different league.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah, I understand that. I need a reason to justify a larger budget to my parents though :P

Also, Levi, could I get a mini-review on the guitar? Like the neck, I normally dislike glossy necks, and prefer satin, but this might be worth it anyways. Also, I know it is a Mahogany Body, but I've also hears it's fairly bright because of how thin the body is. That true?
bump?
Sure man. The neck is pretty medium sized I'd say. Ever since I've been serious about guitars I've played Ibanez. I got this guitar cause I got a good price and wanted to try some other brands. I'm actually really glad I got it. When I first put it in my hand the neck felt great. The neck is glossed (satin necks aren't really the norm by any means) but isn't sticky at all like some necks It's fast but isn't super thin. It's still pretty thin though. I never put this guitar down for 3 or 4 days and when I went to play on of my Ibbys I realized why people say they're so thin! And I actually did find this pretty bright for Mahogany. The body isn't super thin or anything but I guess it's a little thinner than my RG's. Seriously though, definitely an awesome guitar for the price. I like this guitar more than some of the ESPs I've played. Quality control is like like that sometimes though. Sometimes you get an awesome one out of the bunch and I definitely did. This guitar feels amazing. Grab it before I put BKPs in it and keep it!
alright, ill let you know if I can afford anything right now, i still have yet to completely make up my mind to spend more than intended.

Also, in your picture the guitar looked a tiny bit faded and not as vibrant as what i remeber from seeing it. is that just the picture/lighting?
The 401 & 1000 deluxe series are great guitars. I use an LTD H 200 with emgs as a backup live, but it feels great for a 200-300 dollar guitar. You should save and get the LTD H 1001 in amber sunburst though. The Seymour Duncans are alot better than the emgs. I love the tone of the jazz set in my Schecter C1 classic over my emgs anyday.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Yeah, I understand that. I need a reason to justify a larger budget to my parents though :P

Tell your rents this...........

The LTD is a quality line. FIt's an investment. Generally with the LTD series 400 and above is a keeper. It's quality. It's not a guitar that you will find yourself investing much in (bc stock it comes with everything you need - grover tuners, good electronics, tonepros, SD/EMG pickups, etc). It plays really, really well. This isn't a guitar you will sell a year later for something else. This is a guitar that if you purchased a higher end, this would be your back up and a solid one.

I've owned 5 LTD's. My EC 401vf actually played better than my EC1000. My PB 500 was one of my all time fav.
Thanks mwalluk. And about the LTD H 1001, I would love to get the blac version of that, and swap out the active EMGs for SDs or Bkps, but thats just too expensive for me right now.

Ill be checking out the guitar at the same music store again on Saturday. Feel free to keeping throwing suggestions/comments at me.
Quote by Diesel Weasel
Thanks mwalluk. And about the LTD H 1001, I would love to get the blac version of that, and swap out the active EMGs for SDs or Bkps, but thats just too expensive for me right now.

Ill be checking out the guitar at the same music store again on Saturday. Feel free to keeping throwing suggestions/comments at me.

Depends what's your price range? Are you willing to go used? Guitar center and Craigslist usually have them for $400-500. Seriously check out GC's used gear, they had Gibson Sg and flying V go for $450. I got a $750 Schecter for $350.
Just my 0.02... The Thin U is one of the greatest profiles of all time.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ill keep looking around. I did find an EC-1000 on my local craigslist for $350, which I know is pretty good, but I would only take it if it was the one with SD's. Other than that Im still wanting to go for the 401FM for now, so Levi stay tuned haha :P
Quote by Diesel Weasel
ill keep looking around. I did find an EC-1000 on my local craigslist for $350, which I know is pretty good, but I would only take it if it was the one with SD's. Other than that Im still wanting to go for the 401FM for now, so Levi stay tuned haha :P

woah woah woah! Buy the ec1000, then replace the pickups down the line. Don't let the fact that it has emg's deter you from getting it. It has more upgrades than the 400 series. PLus emg's ain't that bad.
I don't know.. Im not to fond of LP style guitars but ill give it a try I guess. And If its red I really dont know, I hate the look of red on a guitar like that. Just too dark to be a "good" red imo
Quote by Tom 1.0
Just my 0.02... The Thin U is one of the greatest profiles of all time.

QFT.

Someone should make a Kanye picture about this.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X

for expedience.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
lol
Oh, and I tried out an EC-1000 and it was just to dark for my taste. I really like a brighter natural tone. Plus, it was a LOT heavier than the H-401FM, and I'm a pretty small dude so yeah.