Hey guys, I know there are plenty of head and cab threads out there, but I figured I'd do one myself after searching around on the forum.

I've been using a UX2 with PODfarm for all my electric guitar work and I miss the sound of my old amp, so I'm in the market for a new one . As of now I'm planning on a head with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab as I'm starting to jam with a lot of other musicians and I did wish I had a head and cab as opposed to my combo when I did some gigs back in high school.

I'm looking for a jack of all trades sort of amp. I primarily play heavier stuff a la Protest the Hero, August Burns Red etc, so a solid heavy gain sound is my main concern. However I do find myself going back some some indie/alternative (The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys) and bluesy type stuff. A nice sparkly clean tone would be fantastic as well.

I'm currently looking at the Peavey 3120, 6505, JSX, Traynor YCS, and possibly a Mesa Dual Recto or other higher end amp (Splawn, Orange).

Now I will go and try out as many amps as possible and pick the one that has the best tone to my ears, but I'm kind of noob in the cab department and I was wondering what cabs you guys recommend and what head + cab combinations you guys have used/liked so I can go try some out.

Thanks a bunch!
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
I'd like to only spend $2000 on both the amp and cab, but I can spring a bit if it's something that blows me away.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
mesa dual recto, roadster 2x12 combo (used)

Im GASsing so hard for that or a roadking ombo right now, and I think itll suit you well for your styles.

Oh, btw if you have any questions about the 6534+ or 3120, ask me, i have the 6534, my buddy owns the 3120.

and 2x12 cab for sure, i hate having a 4x12 ad though there are benefits, its just too big for me
Quote by Seanthesheep
mesa dual recto, roadster 2x12 combo (used)

Im GASsing so hard for that or a roadking ombo right now, and I think itll suit you well for your styles.

Oh, btw if you have any questions about the 6534+ or 3120, ask me, i have the 6534, my buddy owns the 3120.

and 2x12 cab for sure, i hate having a 4x12 ad though there are benefits, its just too big for me

Kinda thread jacking here. But, I was actually wondering about the 6534 and the 3120. How are they for heavier tones? Cleans? And more of a Pop-Punk sound.
Austin Les Paul
Alvarez Acoustic

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100
Peavey 5150 2x12 60watt combo
Orange Micro Terror
Jet City Made in USA 2x12
3120 in general has more high end than the 6534+

me and my buddy find for metal rhythyms the 6534+ is better, and it has ok cleans, better than the 6505+ but an also easily be beaten by other amps.

the 3120 is more versatile but then again both we find are very metal oriented. the 6534+ is not much more versatile than the 6505+. I once did a show where me and a couple of my friends we doing some paramore covers, and finding that kind of tone is kinda difficult on my 6534.

his 3120 we havent gotten out live much yet, but the 6534+ has more low end and the 3120 has more high end. so in a metal band, we find they blend nicely if you use the 3120 for leads. but for heavy rhythyms, pretty much everyone ive mentioned it to agrees, the 6534+ is the best for that. (not out of all amps ever, but from whats locally available and affordable)

and regarding 6534+ vs 3120 cleans. the 6534 clean are still kinda sterile but for some reason, the 3120s clean channel just feels a bit more "clean" if that makes sense.

and having the 3 ch of the 3120 is very nice, especially with the ch vol and master vol.
Egnater Renegade head, a Boost/OD pedal and whatever cab you feel like should do the job I think.
I'm really interested in the 3120, maybe a boost could tighten it up for some tight rhythm tones. No cab suggestions? The only good speakers I know of are V30's, any other recommendations?
Gear:
Line6 UX2
the 3120 and a closed back orange 2x12 is super tight and doesnt need a boost although almost any amp will benefit from it. its a very tight amp, the 6534+ is if anything not as tight but like just feels a bit heavier and more suited for rhythyms, but yea, between the 2 for your needs, deff go with the 3120 if you decide peavey, although i truly think the roadster 2x12 combo is your best bet.

and for what you want a V30 cab is what will probably work best. theres mesa, orange, avatar, and white box that all make well priced 2x12s with V30s.
I hate to revive this thread, but I got two amps I'm really set on buying. One is a 2008 Mesa Roadster (originally a combo converted to a head, looks legit) for $1450 and the second is a mesa single recto for $1000. I was originally planning on getting a Traynor YCS50H, but I figured I might as well spring for the mesa's as I've been GASing for one forever and I'm just wondering which would be the better deal.

As for the cab I'll be getting a Marshall 1936 (made in England version) as it is the only used 2X12 I've found and I don't want a 4x12 right now.
Gear:
Line6 UX2
Quote by mrxtreme_4
I hate to revive this thread, but I got two amps I'm really set on buying. One is a 2008 Mesa Roadster (originally a combo converted to a head, looks legit) for $1450 and the second is a mesa single recto for $1000. I was originally planning on getting a Traynor YCS50H, but I figured I might as well spring for the mesa's as I've been GASing for one forever and I'm just wondering which would be the better deal.

As for the cab I'll be getting a Marshall 1936 (made in England version) as it is the only used 2X12 I've found and I don't want a 4x12 right now.

Dude, youre in ontario? Im pretty sure I saw that roadster too and it looks legit.

and just hold off for a mesa 2x12, trust me. January I find is kinda slow for used gear but by march therell be tons of stuff for sale, and mesa 2x12s seem to be very common