Page 1 of 2
For my birthday, which is coming up I said I want a guitar (which will be my first) and right now I'm looking at 2 models, a B.C Rich Warlock NJ Deluxe: http://www.beyondeleven.com/BC-Rich-NJ-Deluxe-Warlock-Electric-Guitar-p/bc-rich-deluxe-warlock-njdlxwo.htm

Or a B.C Rich Joey Jordison Warlock: http://www.beyondeleven.com/BC-Rich-JJSWBS-p/bcrich-jjswbs.htm (it says $1,099 but if you become a member it's $800)

And also, any one own the NJ Deluxe? Is it good, how thin is the neck, is it fast, etc.
I wouldn't really get that high end of a guitar if it's your first and you started out playing. Also, I would try and avoid a guitar with a Floyd Rose as a first, major pain. What's your budget? Also, your going to need an amp, so have you thought about that also?
About $800 max, I want something to last me long enough that I won't be begging for a new one lol. I've been thinking about some vox amplugs so I don't get on anyone's nerves and I can jam whenever I want to.
Quote by TheWho2
acoustics make great first guitars
I have an acoustic I meant first electric
Quote by RudeBwoy_MLT
About $800 max, I want something to last me long enough that I won't be begging for a new one lol. I've been thinking about some vox amplugs so I don't get on anyone's nerves and I can jam whenever I want to.

Planning on buying a 1k guitar and a $30 amp???? You're not going to sound good at all with the amplugs. If you want an incredibly cheap and because you're going to be playing at low volumes, buy a 15/20w modeling amplifier.

I assume you picked those guitars because of the shape......

What genres are you looking to get into. Name some bands you are interested in too.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Planning on buying a 1k guitar and a $30 amp???? You're not going to sound good at all with the amplugs. If you want an incredibly cheap and because you're going to be playing at low volumes, buy a 15/20w modeling amplifier.

I assume you picked those guitars because of the shape......

What genres are you looking to get into. Name some bands you are interested in too.

Yeah I know but I really want those so I'd rather get an awesome amp later on, & mostly metal/metalcore like some Parkway Drive, Metallica, As Blood Runs Black
You should try going to a store, trying out as many guitars you can, regardless of price and see what you like in a guitar. You seem pretty set on that guitar and not getting an amp, so there's not really much to do.
I'll eventually get a better, regular amp but I want those for now and also so that I cant bring my guitar to my guitar class at school. So what would be a good brand of amps?
Not sure if trolling.... How long have you been playing acoustic guitar for? You seem to have chosen guitars just for their shapes, you might want to look into the other features in these guitars. I would NEVER recommend to anyone that they spend more than $500 on their first electric guitar, unless youre rich and have that kind of money to throw around. And there would be no point in spending so much on a guitar just to buy a cheap amp plug-in. In most cases, your amp and effects altogether should cost more than your guitar. If noise is an issue, most amps have an input for headphones. You will be very disappointed though just playing through an amp plug-in. Itll honestly sound the same if you were to use a $300 guitar on that little Vox. The amp and effects make a huge contribution in the sound.

The best advice, which I'm sure many on this site would agree with, is to buy an intermediate guitar and a good combo amp. You could easily find great deals and get each for $400. The guitar can still look brootalz in that price range too.
Quote by RudeBwoy_MLT
I'll eventually get a better, regular amp but I want those for now and also so that I cant bring my guitar to my guitar class at school. So what would be a good brand of amps?

Forget what I said, this explains everything. You may want to check your priorities. Is this guitar for you and pursuing your love of music and challenging/practicing your talents? Or is it to show everyone at school?
...uh if it's you first guitar, that guitar'll become a $1000 paper weight. If you bought it to show off it'll become a shiny looking $1000 paper weight.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
That is totally not the way too look at it man haha, it's fine to like a guitar's aesthetic but let's speak in more realistic terms. You're going to get a guitar with a Floyd Rose, those are a pain, I'm going to assume you listen to metal and will want to detune to an alternate tuning. This is going to heavily conflict especially since it's your first electric. And I have an Amplug just for the sake of playing whenever I am not able to bring my amp with me to places. It's a terrible amp if it's your main rig.

Get either of these, or a comparable LTD in price if you're looking for a long lasting instrument. It's been 3 years and my LTD has been my main guitar and plays amazingly just like day 1.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-h-351nt-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-mh-350nt-electric-guitar

and buy this as an amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/roland-cube-20xl-20w-1x8-guitar-combo-amp/h68601000001000

You will love this over whatever you had in mind, and I'll hold back my comments about BC Rich Guitars just for the sake of not having someone get into an argument with me about their quality control.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez RGA121 (Employee Custom)
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
I've been playing for a couple months, but I've extensively been researching the features that affect a guitar like the body wood, fretboard wood, pickups, and etc. I know amplugs aren't that good but like I said I will get a better amp. & plus my dad already told me go for a high end guitar which those are,
Quote by Picklelerner
Forget what I said, this explains everything. You may want to check your priorities. Is this guitar for you and pursuing your love of music and challenging/practicing your talents? Or is it to show everyone at school?

The former, I don't really care about what people think about my guitar...

Quote by Lennon993
...uh if it's you first guitar, that guitar'll become a $1000 paper weight. If you bought it to show off it'll become a shiny looking $1000 paper weight.

Why do you say that? & I've heard cheap B.C Rich's suck but what about the higher end models like those ^
Listen Rude, unless your dad's been playing for awhile and knows his stuff. I'd discredit him right then and there, those are not high end guitars at all. If you want to get something high end at a price like that and if you're honestly sticking with that Amplug, go for something like an Ibanez Prestige line. You WILL regret/sell that Bc Rich if you decide to purchase it, and it might even turn you off from electric guitar. It is not the same thing as acoustic guitar at all. And BC Rich's "High End" line is terrible, every BC Rich I've played has had major problems with them either with the guitar itself or it's set up. If you buy that guitar expect to get it setup the moment it arrives at your home.

And avoid the amplug, we're speaking from experience I own that thing and I haven't touched it since the day I bought it. It's truly a TERRIBLE amp. This may even turn you off from playing guitar as a whole when your 1000$ guitar doesn't sound good at all.

Then again it is your money, buy whatever you'd like. If you're that set on it you don't need our opinions. Those are both virtually the same guitars, just ask yourself if you want blood on your guitar or not.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
Last edited by Kenji20022 at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by RudeBwoy_MLT

Why do you say that? & I've heard cheap B.C Rich's suck but what about the higher end models like those ^

You're paying quite a bit for the shape of the guitar. In many cases, you're either paying for the name (which in many cases is linked with high quality), the paint, or the shape.

IMO you can do better.

But most people here (me included) bash BC Rich because all their guitars scream "look at me I'm a metal player with a guitar that looks cooler than yours and mine has a pointy headstock with the brand written in huge cursive letters". No offense

Go to a guitar store and try as many as you can.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by RudeBwoy_MLT
The former, I don't really care about what people think about my guitar...

No i meant paper weight as in you'd never play it and it's basically be a decoration.

Personally, i'd go with an American strat and an amp of comparable value so that's about $900. If you're not sure what guitar you want and if you're not totally obsessed about it, then you probably shouldn't buy it.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

Quote by Lennon993
No i meant paper weight as in you'd never play it and it's basically be a decoration.

Personally, i'd go with an American strat and an amp of comparable value so that's about $900. If you're not sure what guitar you want and if you're not totally obsessed about it, then you probably shouldn't buy it.

o.O Of course I'd play it! Ok, now this goes back to my original choice,an LTD James Hetfield Snakebyte: http://espguitars.com/guitars/signature/ltd-snakebyte.html
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

Look at those two.

ESP and LTD are in my opinion one of the best investments that someone can make when beginning to play guitar, namely LTD. The guitar will have the features that that BC Rich does, but the quality, playability, and overall feel will be generally much better. You will get a higher quality instrument, and the Quality Control on their guitars is much higher.

But most people here (me included) bash BC Rich because all their guitars scream "look at me I'm a metal player with a guitar that looks cooler than yours and mine has a pointy headstock with the brand written in huge cursive letters". No offense

Adding to this, the instruments aren't made in the USA for that price tag nor Japan. And the guitar will probably come with a few, if not the onslaught of problems associated with BC Rich. Don't fall into that company's scam of supplying metal guitars to the world. If you were getting a custom shop, of course I'd bite my tongue on the quality of the BC Rich, but you're not getting what you payed for with those guitars.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
Quote by RudeBwoy_MLT
o.O Of course I'd play it! Ok, now this goes back to my original choice,an LTD James Hetfield Snakebyte: http://espguitars.com/guitars/signature/ltd-snakebyte.html

Lolz so the whole strat/decent amp thing fell on deaf ears. I wish i had $1000 bucks to blow on guitar gear.

Quote by Lennon993
Lolz so the whole strat/decent amp thing fell on deaf ears. I wish i had $1000 bucks to blow on guitar gear.

Pretty much. I'd have my Musicman by now.

Snakebyte's a great guitar, but get a real amp along with whatever guitar you decide to buy. Everyone who's posted on that amp matter has told you that. Follow it, you're going to regret only being able to play through headphones QUICK.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
Its very hard to tell if you are truly in it for the love of music, youre showing us very typical show-offy electric guitars. Either way, just remember this: barely ANYONE at your school will be able to distinguish your guitar from any other. If you truly are in it for the love of music, take our advice. An LTD James Hetfield would definitely be heading in the right direction. Maybe not that exact model, but something like it. We've all gone through the beginner experience here. Buy a cheaper guitar, like the ones the guy above me had suggested, and a good solid amp. Once youve become accustomed to electric guitars, then spend a lot of money and make a more well though out purchase. You're just starting, its hard to tell which direction you will end up going in. You're jumping all over the place enough as it is just in this thread. Also, it is VERY unwise to carry around such an expensive guitar all day. I know many professional guitarists who wouldn't even risk that.
Quote by Lennon993

Edit: I meant Mexican Strat lol xD

Ok, what about a Schecter c-1 hellraiser?
Quote by Lennon993

Marshall, Line6 or the $150 roland
Last edited by RudeBwoy_MLT at Oct 2, 2011,
The Schecter is a great guitar, for the quality I'd rather own that than the Bc Rich by far. You're getting a solid guitar at least for the money.

And on the point of amps, I'd go with the roland, for the simple fact that it sounds much more realistic and the versatility it has for other sounds if you ever want to experiment. Also the distortion you can get out of it is amazing at the price tag.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
Ok, thanks guys.

So, whats the deal with Floyd's? Why do I always hear that they're a lot of maintenance?
Quote by RudeBwoy_MLT
Marshall, Line6 or the $150 roland
I'd get a Peavey Vypyr. Much more versatile and better sounding than all three of those choices. It's a bit complicated to use as a first amp, but you will be far more satisfied in the long run. The high-gain models are also the best out of all those choices.
Basically, you're going to be stuck in one tuning. And learning to adjust them accurately has it's learning curve. I've been playing with a floyd for the past two years and I still haven't been able to accurately set my term perfectly, I end up just blocking the trem as a whole and using it as a hard tail which I'm fine with.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
Ohhh so thats why they have guitar models that have one with a floyd and the same one but it says hardtail and you don't see the tremolo?

So what about this: A Hellraiser C-1 & a Peavey 75?
Because some people prefer to have a guitar without the floating tremelo. It offers a better situation when you want to go from E Standard, to Drop D really quickly without equalizing and resetting the tremolo. For the kind of music you want to play I'd stick with the hardtail version since setting the Floyd up will cause a lot of wasted time and frustration.

And the Peavey is also an excellent choice, 75 watts is a bit much especially if you were worried about the noise. But if you ever need to play a gig you'll be able to.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
No clue, but it shouldn't make a difference either way. Neck thru just offers more sustain in some situations. And some bolt ons even offer better sustain than both of those, like the Ibanez Prestige guitars, Musicman, and Fenders.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
What about pickups? EMG 81/85, 81/89, or 81/60 whats the difference, and are Seymour Duncans better?
Pickups are up for personal taste, go into a shop and seriously try them out. I personally prefer passive pickups, so I stay away from anything active like those EMG's, but you have to try them yourself to truly say if you like either or. And always remember, you can swap pickups.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
Page 1 of 2