Poll: Are some majors more important than others?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are some majors more important than others?
Yes
162 80%
No
28 14%
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK8qsqpLE9g]Yeezy taught me[/URL]
13 6%
Voters: 203.
Page 1 of 8
I'm engineering. I love learning how things work and building things ¯\_(ツ_/¯
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I'm a math major. You may commence the fellation.

I don't think some majors are better than others, though.

edit: I'm both low and god tier? What?
Last edited by MakinLattes at Oct 1, 2011,
I'm an African American history major. Funny how it jumps straight from Ancient Egypt to the Slave Trade, then skips to the end of the Civil War, and ends at the Civil Rights Movement. I guess there's not much to talk about
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'm Slavic Studies, but just trying to learn a ton of languages. I hope its important, otherwise my fallback plan of "working musician" will be put into action.
In terms of intelligence, yes. In terms of jobs, partly. In terms of the actual person, no. I chose history and politics over doing a commerce degree because if it's costing 25k a year, I wanna bloody well enjoy it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Pretty much a major's quality is based on that chart. If someone is pursuing a degree in a field they really enjoy and for which they possess aptitude, then it is respectable and will most likely be rewarding. However, if someone lazily coasts through a degree or just goes with "communications" for the hell of it, then it probably won't end up as anything special.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Of course some majors are more important. Hard science/math would be better the say a Latin major. Society could easily benefit more so from them. However, putting that aside, if one goes to college to satisfy their quest for knowledge on a certain subject and doesn't care about how useful the degree is for society then for that person no major is more important. They may just want to learn about something for thier own sake.
I'm double majoring in psychology and philosophy as a pre-law. I actually like phil better now, but psych grad school is usually paid for and law school usually isn't unless you get a scholarship. So, we'll see what I decide to do.

I'd say high tier though.

And yeah, some majors are more important. Like, phil pre-law is limited in that it's mostly just designed to get you into law school. And psychology is a dime a dozen major, lots of people go into it thinking it will teach you "about your feelings" or "because I'm good with people".
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Quote by High&Mighty
Of course some majors are more important. Hard science/math would be better the say a Latin major. Society could easily benefit more so from them. However, putting that aside, if one goes to college to satisfy their quest for knowledge on a certain subject and doesn't care about how useful the degree is for society then for that person no major is more important. They may just want to learn about something for thier own sake.

Only if you want to be an engineer/scientist. That person doing a Latin major might want to work in an archive or something, where knowing quantum physics is useless but Latin is incredibly useful.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Only if you want to be an engineer/scientist. That person doing a Latin major might want to work in an archive or something, where knowing quantum physics is useless but Latin is incredibly useful.

I would still say that quantum physics is more beneficial to study for society then working in an archive. But that is up to debate obviously.
That chans chart put almost all of the majors I'm interested in in the shit tier. I don't mind though, I know that job prospects aren't that great for them (polisci and women's studies, for example).

EDIT: Also, voted for the song.
Last edited by due 07 at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by due 07
That chans chart put almost all of the majors I'm interested in in the shit tier.

This.

Well, there are a couple in low tier.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Oct 1, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
Are some majors more important than others? Is, say, a physics major graduate more important than an African-American studies graduate?

Impossible to say. All majors will yield some study that's extremely important, and I don't think it's possible to draw a relative comparison between them without a very long discussion over how you define "important".

As for the tiers, what i'm studying is a little bit of a mix of everything
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
The Chan's chart is supposed to be based on prestige associated with the major as well as how difficult it is. If someone tells you they're majoring in Math or Physics, it generally commands more respect than, say, a business major.

OT: God tier on both charts. Come at me, bros.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by MAC2322
The Chan's chart is supposed to be based on prestige associated with the major as well as how difficult it is. If someone tells you they're majoring in Math or Physics, it generally commands more respect than, say, a business major.

OT: God tier on both charts. Come at me, bros.

It's supposed to be based on how mad it can get the people that generally browse 4chan.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

I'm a political science major but looking back, I really wish I would have majored in one of the hard sciences. Political science pretty much puts you in the fast lane to unemployment, and I'm too far along to change now.

So I would say that yes, some majors are better than others.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
College was originally intended to be a social environment for education. They were established in order for people to come together and practice philosophy, arts, arithmetic, and other intellectual developments. Nowadays, college is all about getting a job. Not that you cannot intellectually pursue what you find interesting, its just with how expensive it is becoming, you need to have a means to pay for it. No major is more significant than another, its a matter of what jobs require that major's degree. I chose Business Management. No matter what happens, its a job that will always be needed. Every company for every product and idea needs management. You want to select a major that will make you a necessity in the world. Other ideas are Accounting, IT, engineering, astronautics, etc... Majors you most likely want to avoid are Arts, History, and Linguistics. NOT to say that there aren't jobs or uses for those majors, they just arent as necessitated. Theyre more intellectual in nature, almost like hobbies. At the end of the day, work is for work. You do not need to necessarily enjoy your job, you just need to make a living and find a comfortable and flexible position in the world. I wont necessarily enjoy my job, but it will enable me to have flexible hours so I can go home a bit earlier, see my family, and most importantly, play guitar. It could also bring in a good salary (in which to buy more guitars of course). Its not whether or one is more important than other, its just which is more useful to have in today's society.
My cousin majored in Philosophy and is now the head of the IT department at his former college, so I suppose it doesn't matter too much.

That said, I'm most likely going to end up studying computer science. It's interesting, difficult but not impossible, and useful in almost any field which means lots of employment chances. Seems like a win-win-win to me.
Quote by British Josh
I'm a political science major but looking back, I really wish I would have majored in one of the hard sciences. Political science pretty much puts you in the fast lane to unemployment, and I'm too far along to change now.

So I would say that yes, some majors are better than others.

Would you say economic prospects are the primary criterion to judge the merits of a certain major? Because more "intellectual" degrees (ie. political science and philosophy) have something less tangible to offer -- something you might have difficulty slapping a value on -- but, like you said, they have a pretty poor employment outlook.
Quote by metalh3ad88
I'm a business major.

I'm in it for the money.

I've thought of this... Is it worth it?
Is it easier to get a job with certain degrees? Yes. Are people that take the less job-oriented degrees (on average) smarter about making their own jobs without giving a shit about filling some cookie cutter slot? Yes.

It all evens out in the end. The accountant gets the instant position at an accounting firm, the fine arts major writes a couple grants and makes up his/her own job every couple of years.
Quote by alexz64
I've thought of this... Is it worth it?

To be honest... yes (at least for me.)

Some of my classes are rather dry, but on the whole they are interesting, and business majors (at least if you go to my college) earn the most money of any major on the average. I'm really into entrepreneurship, which I find immensely interesting and satisfying, and I'm looking at a $70,000 starting salary when I graduate.

I guess it's up to you, though.
I'm a Biochem major for no specific reason lol. I've always wanted to be a doctor since something personal happened but i coulda easily been a biology major lol. Hmmn....
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
From the years I spent in academia I've come to the conclusion that there's a higher percentage of douchebags in the liberal arts. While you can find unwarranted self importance in every field, liberal arts was by far the worst.

That's why I partied with the scientists
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Quote by beadhangingOne

But fo realz, some majors are more important than others.

How's that? As far as I can tell, different individual people contribute different amounts to society and it has **** all to do with what they studied in college.
majoring in Music.....about to transfer to a university next semester and will be taking 100% music course since all my GE is done

Probably gonna have to get my masters though if I wanna avoid working at guitar center and cooking pizza on the side
Quote by dullsilver_mike
How's that? As far as I can tell, different individual people contribute different amounts to society and it has **** all to do with what they studied in college.

lulzwut

Speaking of which, i'm gonna major in philosophy and minor in Japanese so i can deceive a guy in tokyo to buy me a drink xD
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Pfft, college is just a continuation of playtime anyways. Your major matters about as much as whether you preferred kickball or dodgeball in elementary school.
My God, it's full of stars!
Hah, a double major of music and communication, so two shit tiers could maybe make a low tier?

Thing is, though, a huge part of college is getting out and actually meeting people, and just through networking you can land yourself a fairly decent job, and don't necessarily need a degree to be "certified" to do it. thats not to say degrees are useless, but its also really important to start making friends in potential career fields, to keep your options open
NOPE
Quote by dullsilver_mike

That has no bearing on whether studying certain things is more/less important than studying others.
Some are more important in the sense that some have a higher job demand and all that. So I guess if you're interested in making money, some are better than others. Job opportunities are probably slim for an arabic cuisine major or something like that.

I don't care about money though, so i'm a History major. I'll make it work.

Some majors are more needed others, but I wouldn't say more important.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by Lennon993
lulzwut

Speaking of which, i'm gonna major in philosophy and minor in Japanese so i can deceive a guy in tokyo to buy me a drink xD

I bet the guy that minors in Japanese for fun has more economic potentially that the typical finance or marketing major. One being a dime a dozen and one being able to communicate with the second/third (depending on the fiscal year) largest economic entity in the world.

Quote by beadhangingOne
That has no bearing on whether studying certain things is more/less important than studying others.

Well, you have to start by defining success. If one major doesn't turn out more productive people, I'd say it's not as important as a major that does.
I'm an English lit. major with a minor in history. I don't know what I'm doing with my life, I'll probably end up teaching high school & drinking heavily. Feels good, man.
Math and Comp Sci B.A. here, doing what I love, what I'm good at, what can make money, and what sounded easiest. math comes naturally to me and I'm enjoying psych, socio, and anthropology so far though I'm only in my freshman year.