Poll: Should there be more regulating on games?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should there be more regulating on games?
Yes
20 18%
No
84 76%
Other; Open to discussion
7 6%
Voters: 111.
Page 1 of 3
I'm curious to know if you guys think there should be more involvement in keeping the ratings system like how they used to be, like when Mom wouldn't buy you Spyro because you weren't old enough. Given the influx of COD and BF3, etc etc, just a simple yes or no will suffice. This mostly stems from a project I did in 7th grade, and also reading the news about how a 12 year old playing a 17+ rated game got strangled by a welfare cheating lump of carbon and fat. See nowadays, my 10 year old cousin owns a copy of Black ops, and I just don't think that's necessary.

TL;DR Do you think there should be more things done to keep things under control and (edit the gaming community stepping in to moderate the process (because every gamer knows, the ESRB don't know jack)

EDIT: Mostly for online... In Skulltag it was common practice to kick anyone from the TS channel that sounded like their balls hadn't dropped, just because that's just how it was.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Oct 3, 2011,
Remember when you were 10 and mom wouldn't get Spyro: Riptos Rage?

That "used to be"
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by Dirge Humani
No, I don't remember that. And that is not an issue with the ratings system at all, that is an issue with parental ignorance.

QFT.

/thread
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Alright give me a second, and I'll try to fix the thread. I kind of rushed it

/BF3Beta pun
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
I haven't studied it at depth, but the ESRB seems to be doing a pretty good job in assessing content and consistently applying that against a standard it thinks is appropriate for different age groups.

I might not agree specifically at where they draw the age lines, but I think they're consistent enough that an engaged parent can use their ratings as a nice standard to make his/her own decisions.
>spyro
>psfags up in my shit

Nintendo all day, homeboy.

Most of you probably aren't even old enough to remember when ESRB didn't even exist. Even after they were formed, not all games had ratings on them. I remember playing Doom and Duke Nukem on SNES when I was five, and now they're rated M, I believe.
Quote by jetfuel495
>spyro
>psfags up in my shit

Most of you probably aren't even old enough to remember when ESRB didn't even exist. Even after they were formed, not all games had ratings on them. I remember playing Doom and Duke Nukem on SNES when I was five, and now they're rated M, I believe.

>implying Ape Escape isn't the greatest game series ever made

Come to think of it, those shaped my life more than any childhood tv show or anything like that did. I want to play Ape Escape now
Quote by jetfuel495
>spyro
>psfags up in my shit

I was playing them in '97, but even for a "rich" household, we were still just getting a computer. Truth be told I was much to scared to go much further than the first revenant on Plutonia, though
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
If you were a parent, would you need someone else to decide what your child should be exposed to? Do you need someone to tell you what you can and cannot watch/read/play/listen to?
Quote by genghisgandhi

Come to think of it, those shaped my life more than any childhood tv show or anything like that did. I want to play Ape Escape now

That's exactly what I'm implying.

And anyone who tries to say Crash Bandicoot is better than Mario is a terrible person and will feel my wrath like never before.
Quote by MakinLattes
If you were a parent, would you need someone else to decide what your child should be exposed to? Do you need someone to tell you what you can and cannot watch/read/play/listen to?

A parent who didn't have enough time to find out what the game was about would need this information.
cat
Quote by genghisgandhi

i waited 2 years to play ape escape because i didnt have a dual shock controller

so worth the wait

Quote by jetfuel495

And anyone who tries to say Crash Bandicoot is better than Mario is a terrible person and will feel my wrath like never before.

super mario bros., super mario 64, and the other main mario games are good.

the other hundred cheap spinoff sports/puzzle/kart games are typically shit.

kids can't buy games that are rated M, the ratings system is fine.
Last edited by rickyj at Oct 2, 2011,
eh, i dont think its a big deal. I only bring up the 'You're not 17 WHY ARE YOU PLAYING THIS GAME?!' argument when shit talking people online that have squeaky voices
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Yeah, parents should be more responsible and not give their 10 year old kid an M game.

Nothing anyone else can or should do about it. That kid that got strangled learned a lesson not to **** with people that can kill you.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by jetfuel495

It is.

So is Spyro.

wutchugunnadoaboudit
Quote by guitarxo
A parent who didn't have enough time to find out what the game was about would need this information.

What are you talking about? There are game ratings. Parents see the rating and a content warning. They choose to buy it for their kid. Why would there need to be any more regulation?
Well I've been warned for not liking Conan O'Brien, don't see why I can't get banned for my video game preference.
The system is fine, parents shouldn't let their kids play the games unless they're mentally mature. At the very least parents should stop buying their annoying kids a mic so they can scream at people online
Quote by MakinLattes
What are you talking about? There are game ratings. Parents see the rating and a content warning. They choose to buy it for their kid. Why would there need to be any more regulation?

Oh my bad I thought you were talking about whether the ratings were necessary. So I agree with you then.
cat
Ha, I just beat Spyro again the other day.

I'd be all for ESRB ratings if they weren't so out of wack. Oblivion rated M? Come on.
I remember when it was hard to find a game that was rated M. Hell I don't think games that were rated M were that vastly popular until I was 17.

I was always a Nintendofag so most of the popular games up until some Gamecube stuff was rated E (or KA) anway, and I didn't have a Gamecube til I was a T.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by guitarxo
Oh my bad I thought you were talking about whether the ratings were necessary. So I agree with you then.

Of course they're necessary, otherwise I wouldn't know which games to avoid.
Quote by genghisgandhi
It is, and Crash would kick Mario's ass in a fight.

I'm gonna ban the piss out of you too

Something I've noticed about every kid I met who grew up playing playstation instead of Nintendo: They're always grumpy, dissatisfied with life, and generally negative people who are no fun to be around.

I mean, look at you, you're suggesting violent combat between two characters who have bought joy to millions the world over. Well, at least Mario did, I can see that Crash hasn't exactly worked out for you.
Okay, so would any of you guys like the concept of ingame moderators kicking and banning underage kids from online?
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by MakinLattes
Of course they're necessary, otherwise I wouldn't know which games to avoid.

Gotta steer clear of the E stuff eh?

Quote by genghisgandhi
It is, and Crash would kick Mario's ass in a fight.

Them's fighting words.
Quote by jetfuel495
Something I've noticed about every kid I met who grew up playing playstation instead of Nintendo: They're always grumpy, dissatisfied with life, and generally negative people who are no fun to be around.

Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know
-Ernest Hemingway
Quote by bastards
Okay, so would any of you guys like the concept of ingame moderators kicking and banning underage kids from online?
It would certainly cut down on all of the 13 year old kids screaming into their mics about how everyone playing besides them is a homosexual.

I don't see why not.
Quote by bastards
See nowadays, my 10 year old cousin owns a copy of Black ops, and I just don't think that's necessary.

Since when was owning a video game "necessary" for anyone?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']Ha, I just beat Spyro again the other day.

I'd be all for ESRB ratings if they weren't so out of wack. Oblivion rated M? Come on.

Well Oblivion used to be T, until they released the Topless Mod for the PC version, and apparently the ESRB ratings extend to glitches and hacks/gameshark codes, they jacked the rating to M.

My only gripe with the ESRB rating was before they made the E10 rating because some of those games beforehand that had a T rating didn't deserve it.

I find it silly how out of all the DS Dragon Quest games. VI is the only one with a T rating based on the sole factor that character(s) actually used alcohol, instead of the rest of the series on the DS that merely referenced it gets a E10.

Oh well, I'm well above the age, and not like they ID for T games in the first place.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I think it's fine where it is. It says the most prominent things in the game in clear-cut words. After that it's up to the parents to decide if their child is mature enough to handle such a game.

If I feel like my 14 year old will kill someone because of Black Ops then he's not going to own it (though he'd find a way). But if he was a level-headed kid who wouldn't, then he'd get it.

It's as simple as knowing your kids.
Quote by jetfuel495
It would certainly cut down on all of the 13 year old kids screaming into their mics about how everyone playing besides them is a homosexual.

I don't see why not.

That's the point I was trying to convey... Imagine the gaming community taking the reigns on it's issues. We play by our own rules anyways... Hell when I was playing online Doom a few years ago, it was (and still is) common practice to kick anyone with a high pitched voice, just because they're annoying and don't need the exposure to it. Idk maybe I'm being a yuppie, but the glamorization since Halo is being blown out of proportion.

And for the record, I hate kids whos balls haven't dropped talk for the entire duration of a game. I hate it when their dogs bark, their cell phones ring, and doors open and close. Also getting killed by them is annoying, but as a gamer Im entitled to QQ about these things and blah blah blah blah.....
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by jetfuel495
Quoting dead people is an easy way to cover up for the fact that you have nothing to say
-Oscar Wilde

I failed at a profession that legally certified retards succeed at, so now I have to fill my time by going on adventures while tripping balls.
-Mario
Page 1 of 3