Ok, noob question...I play in a punk band and I just bought a Squier P-bass (and no I'm not 14, I'm actually 22 lol) to be totally honest with you, I don't anything about bass amps.

Anyway, how many watts would you recommend for me?

-Budget: $600
- kind of music I mainly play: punk/pop rock
For a bass, you'll need at least three times the output power of the guitarist's amp. Given your stated musical genres, 300 watts and up if you plan to gig. Anything smaller and you are probably going to be drowned out by the guitars and the drummer.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
What squier? ashdown MAG 300 and maybe an extension cab. Gallien kreuger, Peavey stuff.

Just curious what did you play before bass? Also, as a punk you should know, it's about the expression aka you play with what you can find.

Since you have a budget, those amps above are good in the watt and price range, I don't want to burden you with cabs, and it's punk so a 2x10 or a 4x10 and 300 watts would do you, get that done and maybe a sansamp bass driver for grind.

Edit: Acoustic is also good, but they have a jump in watts and price, from the 200 watt head to a 500 watt head. of course their are combos, I'm not very knowledgeable on them, I had a boulder that went by the name Fender BXR 200 1x15 from the 90's that I loved but dumped for the head and cab dealio.

I play a thumpier vintage style mustang, and a GK MB200 and homebrew 1x10 cab micro rig, or a heavy style of doom with a (in the works) modified Squier P bass with two P pickups into a russian bigmuff, into tube preamp, into 300 watt Mark IV head (vintage peavey) into 3 1x15s.

Most expensive part of my entire collection? the GK MB200 paid $250 for it new, everything else was under $70 or free. A long dedicated look at craigslist will reward you with a sizeable rig that will crush for under $600.
Last edited by askrere at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by askrere
What squier? ashdown MAG 300 and maybe an extension cab. Gallien kreuger, Peavey stuff.

Just curious what did you play before bass? Also, as a punk you should know, it's about the expression aka you play with what you can find.

Since you have a budget, those amps above are good in the watt and price range, I don't want to burden you with cabs, and it's punk so a 2x10 or a 4x10 and 300 watts would do you, get that done and maybe a sansamp bass driver for grind.

I also play guitar and I totally agree with the "play what you can find" attitude and I don't want to spend $1,000 on gear.

I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short Scale (damn that's a long name!) So, you think I should just get a combo? Actually, I've been looking at some 4x10 combos...
Quote by honkytown
I also play guitar and I totally agree with the "play what you can find" attitude and I don't want to spend $1,000 on gear.

I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Short Scale (damn that's a long name!) So, you think I should just get a combo? Actually, I've been looking at some 4x10 combos...

My problem with combos is the weight. Not that I can't lift them, but the distribution and planning. Amps are like furniture, they have a purpose to serve and easy movement was not part of the design. Take my Fender BXR, it was like 100 pounds, the cable stuck out and got pinched when being moved, and the handles were just bad and in the wrong place. Aside from the whole fact they are trying to fit an amp and a speaker in one box and make it small and still sound good. The head and Cab or Even rack style rig allows you finer details. Say I like Gallien kreugers clean deep unobtrusive sound, but love ampegs punchy delivery, I buy a GK head and a ampeg 4x10 done.

What works for you may not work for others including myself. You might not care that the combo weighs more than a 5th grader and is harder to carry than one that's not yours (bruises included on the shins etc.)
As someone who has a 410 combo...I wouldn't buy another 410 combo. Damn thing is a pain in the arse to move anywhere.

And yeah, I think 300W is the magic number.
if your cabinet is 300 watts and you play with a loud drummer in a punk band, chances are good it won't come even close to being enough. i played bass in an indie/punk band with a drummer who pounded his drums - i was running a 600 watt head through an 18" cab and a 2x10, and ended up upgrading to a 1000 watt to be heard well.

if your drummer isn't really loud, you can probably get away with a lot less. check out carvin and peavey as they offer great bang for the buck.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
If you want to get picky about your sound, which I don't think you do, maybe look into getting like 300W or so head and a 212 cab for that middy punch that you want.
Quote by patticake
if your cabinet is 300 watts and you play with a loud drummer in a punk band, chances are good it won't come even close to being enough. i played bass in an indie/punk band with a drummer who pounded his drums - i was running a 600 watt head through an 18" cab and a 2x10, and ended up upgrading to a 1000 watt to be heard well.

if your drummer isn't really loud, you can probably get away with a lot less. check out carvin and peavey as they offer great bang for the buck.

it really took 1000 watts???

TS I have a 200 watt amp and a 300 (yet to be used) at half power the 200 could be heard by me but not the drummer, at full power it could be heard. I got a 300 watt head to run at 2 ohms to use more cabs and up my headroom.
Currently I'm broke and use my old ass 30W (yes thirty) marshall bass amp. For gigs we set a mic right by the speaker and tie it into the PA, cranking the hell out of it. I don't recommend this setup unless you're really hurtin for cash but it works.