Hiya guys,

Looking to replace the factory speaker in my Peavey Valveking 112. The tone I'm looking for isn't a metal one - think more along the lines of a punchy, warm overdrive driven by a Tele or a Les Paul Jr. My normal tone is to use the lead channel on a low gain setting (say around 9 o'clock) for a crunchy clean, then to use a crowther hotcake as an OD/boost for a higher gain sound.

The two speakers I've been considering so far are the Celestion Vintage 30 and the Eminence Red Coat Governor, based on a fair amount of internet research. Budget isn't really an issue, so has anybody had any experience with either of these speakers in a Valveking? Or, anybody have any alternate suggestions?

Additionally, I've heard that the Vintage 30 is slightly too deep for the amp, and to fit it in the tube cage needs to be removed, is this true?

Cheers!
Was considering doing a speaker swap for my Vyper tube 60 as well, the responses I got seemed split between Eminence and Celestion.

So I suggest for you to do what I did, go on youtube and search up as many comparison and reviews as you can. From what I hear the Red Coat Governor is a clone of the Vintage 30, and that the only real difference is that that there was mid-high spike in the Vintage 30 otherwise they are pretty much the same speakers.

As whether or not the "12 inch" speaker will fit in you cab or not I can't say, the specs say it has a 12inch speaker so it should fit. But I would wait to hear back from someone that's done the mod before you go blowing some cash on a new speaker.
Quote by BigHeadClan
As whether or not the "12 inch" speaker will fit in you cab or not I can't say, the specs say it has a 12inch speaker so it should fit. But I would wait to hear back from someone that's done the mod before you go blowing some cash on a new speaker.

Thanks for the feedback. As far as I can tell it's not an issue of circumference - the speaker will fit into the amp recess without issue, it's more an issue of depth as apparently the Vintage 30 uses a larger magnet. The tube cage is directly behind the speaker, so if the new cone is slightly deeper you could see how it would be a possible issue.
You need this thread - starting with post #4

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969296

I personally like the Emi Red Coat series or a WGS Vet 30 option.

Can't speak to the cage comment but just leave the damn thing off - I did. It is a lot easier to swap the speaker if you remove that and the reverb tank/rear panel.
Quote by J C
Hiya guys,

Looking to replace the factory speaker in my Peavey Valveking 112. The tone I'm looking for isn't a metal one - think more along the lines of a punchy, warm overdrive driven by a Tele or a Les Paul Jr. My normal tone is to use the lead channel on a low gain setting (say around 9 o'clock) for a crunchy clean, then to use a crowther hotcake as an OD/boost for a higher gain sound.

The two speakers I've been considering so far are the Celestion Vintage 30 and the Eminence Red Coat Governor, based on a fair amount of internet research. Budget isn't really an issue, so has anybody had any experience with either of these speakers in a Valveking? Or, anybody have any alternate suggestions?

Additionally, I've heard that the Vintage 30 is slightly too deep for the amp, and to fit it in the tube cage needs to be removed, is this true?

Cheers!

No, the V-30 is almost the exact same size as the stock speaker. You may need to remove the cage and power tubes to get it in, but you can put it all back on once its in.