Hey, so I'm thinking about getting a new guitar as an upgrade from the one I have now and I'm not sure what I want yet.

I know I'm looking for a 6 string that can be tuned down to B standard and is good for fast, heavy punk/metal type music. I play a lot of different genres, but most of what I do in my band is very Melvin's influenced heavy metal, but even more down-tuned. Also I'd like it to have two humbuckers, as opposed to my guitars HSS set-up.

I've tried out 7 string guitars, but I don't really like them that much. I prefer the lax feel of a 6 string tuned down instead.

My price range is around 800 bucks at most, I'm not really a man of money these days.

I currently play a Kaman GTX 23 with an Invader in the bridge through a Peavey 6505 Plus, but I really don't like the floating bridge tremolo.

Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Anzio at Oct 2, 2011,
PRS Mike Mushok

It's a 27" baritone so it will be more suited to tuning down to B (not that you can't do it with a 24.75 or 25.5 or anything like that). Very metal guitar. I dunno if it's any good, never played one myself, but it looks cool.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Can't go wrong with an ibanez, if you're into the shredy stuff.
Personally, when I play with my band, I use an old SA260fm that I customised the crap out of, sounds awesome! A basic knowlege of electronics and a couple hundred £ can take you a long way!

But if you're dropping down pretty low, an ibanez can feel too delicate, and something chunkier might be better suited, try out a dean or PRS?
Have a look at some LTD's or some Ibanez's used in your price range. You can score some really nice LTD's in your budget, something like a H1000 would be amazing.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
PRS or LTD would be a good place to start looking.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm also trying to find something with the same scale length as my Kaman, but something other than the traditional strat shape. I've mostly been looking at Schecter's, as they appeal to me most for some reason. I'm leaning towards the Tempest Custom, but it doesn't have the scale length I'd like, though I suppose I could always make the sacrifice. Thoughts?
LTD MH1000

Basically a Korean Horizon. I'd pick that one up, or if you want a Floyd, its available as well.

Edit: If you want a non-strat shape, and single cuts are ok, go with the EC1000 in one of the billion finishes it comes in.

Double Edit: Scale length really isn't hard to accommodate to, I wouldn't worry about it.
Where's Waldo?
Last edited by chadreed32 at Oct 2, 2011,
You should get a telecaster and put dimebuckers in it. Kidding

I would definitely look at Schecters, they're a good bang for their buck.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-damien-elite-avenger-electric-guitar
Little cheaper then your price range but thats not always a bad thing!
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
You should get a telecaster and put dimebuckers in it. Kidding

I would definitely look at Schecters, they're a good bang for their buck.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/schecter-guitar-research-damien-elite-avenger-electric-guitar
Little cheaper then your price range but thats not always a bad thing!

Oh god. Put it back, that thing is offensive to look at.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Oh god. Put it back, that thing is offensive to look at.

That's just the one I chose. But there are other models with the same electronics at least.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
That's just the one I chose. But there are other models with the same electronics at least.

There are 1 billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion (yen) of guitars with EMG's. Could get tons of LTDs, Schecters, Ibanezes, and everything else.
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
There are 1 billion, gagillion, fafillion, shabolubalu million illion yillion (yen) of guitars with EMG's. Could get tons of LTDs, Schecters, Ibanezes, and everything else.

Yeah, and besides I'm really more interested in passive pick-ups than active ones.