So basically i don't know much about amps, but i adore the sound of a tube amp and am looking to buy my first one soon, but i have no idea where to start. I play a variety of things, but mainly classic rock. i dont play any blues or country though. I'm looking for something which costs about $1000, and still has a really good clean channel because i play a fair bit of clean too.
thanks
Where abouts are you located?

Willing to go used?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Australia, but might buy online if amazon will ship an amp here.
nah wanting to go new
If you want cleans with headroom,

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with an overdrive pedal

Peavey Classic 30/50

Vox AC30
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
For classic rock you should be quite satisfied with a Marshall JCM800 (JMP) 2203 or 2204. The amp does not have footswitchable clean/overdrive channels, but it cleans up a lot by rolling off the guitar volume. I find it even better to switch between overdrive and clean in that way because it's much more natural and there is no sudden change from clean to overdrive that sounds really bad.

Off course, if you really need a clean channel, you can always plug into the low input which stays clean on all settings.
His budget is $1000AU dude, he ain't gonna get a JCM800 for that in Aus new.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Why should he get a new amp? Used is a much better option, you get a better price and you can find original amps from late 70's and early 80's, not the current reissues.

Off course, a cabinet is also required so that would definitely be too much for that budget. Maybe I have given a totally inadequate advice, because the TS didn't specify is the amp for home playing or maybe for band rehearsals and gigs?
Because he said he doesn't want to go used. Maybe he wants a warranty with the amp, there's nothing wrong with going new.

A Fender Deluxe kills the clean competition IMO.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
the only reason i want a new one is for reliability, but if i can find a used one in good condition that will be better value for money than im happy to.
it would be for home playing and band rehearsals, possibly some small gigs in future.
*she btw haha
My bad, females don't usually venture into the GG&A very often.

What's your closest city? Check out your local Gumtree and eBay listings for some good deals on some used Fenders. A combo is going to be a little less hassle free when transporting it to gigs/rehearsal.

If you can stretch it i've seen some Marhsall Vintage Modern combos going for pretty cheap, they have a fantastic clean/crunch when cranked.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Sorry, I did not see she is not willing to go used. But she is not looking for an amp with perfect cleans, she wants an amp for classic rock that can also do nice cleans. Fender's drive channel would surely disappoint him (cleans are great, no question about it). A good overdrive pedal would definitely be required, as you have stated in your first post. A Carl Martin Plexitone could be good for that.

A Vintage Modern combo would also be nice. No pedals needed then. Just be sure it's not too heavy for carrying around!
Last edited by ivan987 at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Look into the Vox AC30. In my opinion it's the best for classic rock and it's also my favourite amp.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Oct 2, 2011,