Hey guys. I hope I can get some insight into this.

I spent 3 hours last night changing hardware on a guitar and installing Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

Symptoms:
- I get a signal since my tuner pedal recognizes the notes.
- The output is very low, just like when you have active pickups without a battery.
- When I remove the battery, the sound doesn't change at all.
- I checked the leads going to the connector and I get 9V.
- When I touch the battery or other components I get a hum.

Other info:

- I must have installed pickups 15-20 time in my life. This is the first time I'm stumped.

Here's the diagram I used:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_blackouts_2v_2t

- This is the third guitar I've swapped these Blacouts into, so the pots and jack aren't new. I checked the pots and I get 25k out of all 4. They work fine, tappering off when I roll them off.
- The tone pots work like they should: not as bright when you roll them off.
- I can switch between neck and bridge and they both work the same.

- Somehow, the 9V battery isn't doing its "thing".

Any of you guys have any insights, other than getting all new components?
Last edited by JackoMBA at Oct 2, 2011,
dead battery?
Höhner llx100g
Gibson explorer
crappy stagg acoustic
Roland dac80d
marshall jcm 900 sl-x 2500
marshall 1960A
ehx metal-muff
jimmy hendrix wah
If you're installing blackouts, why not use this wiring diagram?

http://seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_blackouts_2v_2t

Other than that, it sounds like a guy who knows what he's doing... just take a long, hard look at your wiring, maybe ask yourself what is different from the last guitar they were in.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Oops. Posted the wrong link. Yes, that's the one I used.

Quote by jthm_guitarist
If you're installing blackouts, why not use this wiring diagram?

http://seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2_blackouts_2v_2t

Other than that, it sounds like a guy who knows what he's doing... just take a long, hard look at your wiring, maybe ask yourself what is different from the last guitar they were in.

Found the problem. Faulty cables.

Yes, folks, cables. Not one but two, actually three.

I had a Planet Waves cable fail on me this week. So I just pulled out a cheap cable I had bought when I started playing guitar to replace it until I fix the Planet Waves.

Wlile trying to figure out the problem with these Blackouts, I pulled out another guitar with EMGs to try it without a battery to see if the sounds with the problematic SD's would be the same level as EMGs without batteries. The guitar with the EMGs worked the same (super low output). I pulled another guitar with EMGs ... same thing. /head scratch.

I think maybe it's the amp ... plug it through my Eleven Rack ... same thing. So I pull out another good cable I had ... Rock out with yer **** out! Works perfectly.

Here's the kicker: I could play my Les Pauls with passive pickups no problem through my amp with the cheap cable. With the active pickups ... no dice.

The second kicker: I have two of these cheap cables and they both behave the same with the Active pickups.

Sorry for the rant/rave. I'm so happy right now.

Thanks for the initial replies.