am i the only one that, when starting out guitar, i thought that playing fast and technical was everything, and i looked for a solo in every song? then after i actually good play the guitar well, i looked more for emotion and phrasing than technical prowess? just wondering.
Everyday things change..

Basically they stay the same.
Metalheads still wrongly believe that
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Metalheads still wrongly believe that

well, yeah, that's true.. i would just rather hear a beethoven song than a 5 minute shred session with steve vai now.
Everyday things change..

No, most people are like that. There's nothing wrong with liking fast and technical, either, despite what most UGers will say.
Check out my band Disturbed
A lot of people think that. I wish I was more articulate when I solo, but I still mindlessly shred without being able to stop myself. Just what I'm good at I guess (even though I'm sloppier than Jimmy Page).
West Ham United
If you think that, then that's fine. If you don't and believe something else, that's also fine. Just listen to the music you want, and play what you want and don't tell others what to believe and this thread will probably start an argument.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Last edited by mullet1337 at Oct 2, 2011,
i never really said there was anything wrong with it, i just wondered if i was the only one. when i started out, eddie van halen was my guitar hero, and now, even though he does play fast occasionally, it's tim reynolds. only because not only can he play fast, but he also knows how to write an amazing solo.
Everyday things change..

No, not everyone will. I'm sure the majority will... I started off playing Sweet Child and trying to learn all the songs from the GNR live era CD. You have to root yourself in something, otherwise you'll just sound like some wanky ass soloist. Of course, I play classical and jazz trumpet so there's a bit of difference....
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
This is why i love the blues! It's not all about speed and shredding it's about real passion and feeling being expressed through the instrument!

Seriously Pit if this thread takes off all of your intellects will be reduced in my estimation by a factor of 10.
Quote by spitonastranger
This is why i love the blues! It's not all about speed and shredding it's about real passion and feeling being expressed through the instrument!

Seriously Pit if this thread takes off all of your intellects will be reduced in my estimation by a factor of 10.

i love the blues. recently i watched a black keys dvd, and it was amazing.
Everyday things change..

*rolls eyes*
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
I listen to music I like. My tastes have evolved as I've discovered new artists and genres but they haven't changed with my skill at guitar.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Contrary to popular belief, you can look for and even find both.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I hate technical stuff, unless there is some form of feeling or emotion, it will just bore me. I'd rather here someone play an A delicatly, or in there own unique way than some insane solo where it seems like there showing off.
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Quote by mccreadyfan01
well, yeah, that's true.. i would just rather hear a beethoven song than a 5 minute shred session with steve vai now.

i wouldn't, steve vai is a much better composer.

/serious
Quote by joestrat5000
I hate technical stuff, unless there is some form of feeling or emotion, it will just bore me. I'd rather here someone play an A delicatly, or in there own unique way than some insane solo where it seems like there showing off.

i agree 100%. it's just everyone's own opinion i guess, but i was just wondering
Everyday things change..

Quote by joestrat5000

What's your point? So if a song is technical, it will bore you if there is no feeling or emotion. Right. So if a song isn't technical at all, it won't bore you even if there is no feeling or emotion?

Or maybe you're trying to say that you hate all music that doesn't have feeling or emotion? That would at least make sense. But that doesn't relate to technicality. At all.

tl;dr: I dislike when people make a connection with technicality and emotion. They do not correlate.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by mccreadyfan01

It's funny you say that, because the notes comes out just as fast if not faster in classical music. They're just not played on a guitar.

I believe you can't reject any side of the spectrum. Fast playing suits some stuff, slow suits some other stuff. I hate guitarists who says there's no emotion in shredding. Bad excuse. There can easily be. It's all about what fits the song.
Quote by mccreadyfan01

My dear boy,

Quote by mccreadyfan01
am i the only one that, when starting out guitar, i thought that playing fast and technical was everything, and i looked for a solo in every song? then after i actually good play the guitar well, i looked more for emotion and phrasing than technical prowess? just wondering.

I definitely used to look for solos a lot more than I do now. Now I find most solos boring unless they take the song somewhere
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Zeletros
My dear boy,

i would probably understand that if i had ever listened to steve vai. i just said his name because a friend of mine likes him and says how he shreds. i dunno. and yes, shredding does fit a song, it's just, i don't know.. this thread was more meant for just me wondering if people's progression of music they like was like mine, or related to their guitar skills.
Everyday things change..

"I'm a guitar player, you probably wouldn't ever catch me without my Les Paul or my iPod. If you do, either you're having hallucinations or you're dreaming. Also heavily into Grunge and 90's alternative rock. "

Taken from his personal info.

Musician' elitist much?
Quote by Zeletros
"I'm a guitar player, you probably wouldn't ever catch me without my Les Paul or my iPod. If you do, either you're having hallucinations or you're dreaming. Also heavily into Grunge and 90's alternative rock. "

Taken from his personal info.

Musician' elitist much?

i never said i was a musician elitist. and that was also written about 2 years ago..
Everyday things change..

Last edited by mccreadyfan01 at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by mccreadyfan01
i never said i was a musician elitist. and that was also written about 2 years ago..

Okay