Which microphone(s) would you recommend for recording Guitars and Bass, and potentially even vocals.

We're a Metal band looking to make a basic home studio and our budget for the microphones is anything up to £100-£125 at a push.

Also I was wondering if we would need a pre-amp or could we just make do with an oldish Behringer Mixer? (With Phantom power )
Last edited by CrusadiaUK at Oct 2, 2011,
Shure SM57. I use it in my homestudio to record the guitars, bass and vocals for my metalcore project and it works perfectly. So yeah get a sm57.
Quote by Cypherthanatos
Shure SM57. I use it in my homestudio to record the guitars, bass and vocals for my metalcore project and it works perfectly. So yeah get a sm57.

+1
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have heard a lot of good things about SM57's, I think we might go with that, but more ideas and alternatives will still be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
SM57 works well for guitar and vocal, but typically bass is recorded using DI. It's generally not recommended to use an SM57 for bass.
Quote by KG6_Steven
SM57 works well for guitar and vocal, but typically bass is recorded using DI. It's generally not recommended to use an SM57 for bass.

DI = Direct Input
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG355OXM
Fender Mexican Deluxe Series Stratocaster
Fender Squire Bullet
Schecter Damien Elite 8
Yamaha F325 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey 5150 II Full stack
Peavey 2001 Studio Pro 112
Roland Micro Cube
When you say a beringher mixer, are you planning on plugging that straight into your computer?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
When you say a beringher mixer, are you planning on plugging that straight into your computer?

Yeah, We don't have a whole load of equipment and we're just getting started on home recordings. Why do you ask?
Because getting an interface and multi tracking would probably make more sense. Computer soundcards aren't designed for recording audio, so the A/D conversion is consistently awful & so the resulting recording will usually be fairly awful.
You would probably do better to get an interface and record the guitar & bass direct & use amp sims, and then either borrow a vocal mic or get a second hand 58 or something to track vocals.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
Because getting an interface and multi tracking would probably make more sense. Computer soundcards aren't designed for recording audio, so the A/D conversion is consistently awful & so the resulting recording will usually be fairly awful.
You would probably do better to get an interface and record the guitar & bass direct & use amp sims, and then either borrow a vocal mic or get a second hand 58 or something to track vocals.

This, except condenser instead of 58. I'd recommend an Audio Technica AT2020/AT4040 or a Rode NT1-A.
Quote by Afroboy267
This, except condenser instead of 58. I'd recommend an Audio Technica AT2020/AT4040 or a Rode NT1-A.

Yeah, either of those would be a significant step up, I just said 58 because it would probably keep you in your budget.
Quote by griffRG7321

Quote by Flying Couch

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
Yeah, either of those would be a significant step up, I just said 58 because it would probably keep you in your budget.

Yeah. I think you can get an AT2020 for around the same price as a 58 and I think it would be much better for recording vocals.

Also for amp sims this thread is really good: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250
Don't think you can't obtain good sound from a 57 or 58 on vocals. Many studios still rely on these mics. They are a standard mic in many mic lockers. There are several nationally known bands who also use 58s on stage. There's a reason for that. The 57 and 58 are essentially the same mic and use the same element.
*sigh* I'm gonna try and prove Owen/Beefmo wrong by for once finding the nerve to reply to one of these threads ( )

Right, where to start... there were a few decent points made here... Afroboy and Sonny_sam come away unscathed with valid points, and KG6_Steven just about survives with integrity intact, despite his second post Others are ±0 based on this thread alone... david-vbhc goes into minus figures for using what should be a phrase punishable by law - "it's the industry standard".

Realistically, we need to know how serious a band you are and if you are prepared to put in the time and effort (and sadly, some money) in order to get a decent end-result. If the answer to those is all 'yes', then hooray - we can help. Sadly, you will probably need more than £125 if it's a yes, but if you're a band with ambition £125 is nothing (seriously, between a 5-piece it's £25 each... at *I imagine* your age you probably spend more than that on computer games every couple of months!).

So anyway - first up is the way you record. It's all very well buying a microphone, even a very fancy one, but if you are going to plug it into a cheap Behringer mixer and take the stereo mixdown from that straight into a typical stock soundcard line-in, you will end up with a sound that most microphone manufacturers would cry about for their mic to sound that way. My experience of Behringer mixers is that they cope as a live mixer due to all the background noise in a venue and on a stage, but the crosstalk is horrendous (no need for you to know what that is yet) and they seem to have a habit of falling apart (faderheads/knobs falling off, inputs/switches dying etc.).

Best bet is to get a cheap interface - for just guitars/vocals and bass you only really need a two-input one at best... luckily that will save you money. A decent one will probably set you back all your current budget, but would serve you well - recommendations for one probably belong later in the thread if you've decided to agree on getting one (have a band meeting and decide if getting into recording yourselves is an avenue you really wanna go down).

Next we have the mic issue itself.

You are going to have a lot of emphasis now on the Shure SM57 after mentioning metal and guitars. But realistically there are two factors (or rather, one tipping point); do you want the best guitar sound you can get, or the best vocal sound, or a sort of 80%-of-the-way-to-each type deal? An SM57 will get you a great guitar sound almost without fail, as long as the amp, and guitar/guitarist are great. A condenser mic on vocals will bring in a lot of detail and make it much easier to sit the vocals into a mix due to their added presence/brilliance. The downside is that condensers tend to be less great on guitars when thrown next to a dynamic.

I have two radical ideas though - you spend probably double your budget, and get an interface and a '57 if your band has 'screamy vocals'. Or if there are clean vocals (most of the time) I suggest you get something like the AT2020 or a Rode NT1A for the nicer vocal sound, and then DI both guitars and bass (DI bass either way, as it sounds pants for metal without a mic with a good low end response) and use amp sims on the guitar sounds - it will probably get you better results and means you don't have to be as good with mic positioning/real amp setup (not the kind guitarists think sounds good on stage, despite standing in the wrong place to judge... I'm also a guitarist, so I'm allowed to say it ) to get a good guitar sound.

Hope noone is offended by my attempt to calmly reply to a thread that is almost celebrating it's 100th return in one form or another!

Edit: Almost forgot...

KG6_Stevens - most bands use an SM58 for vocals live and a '57 on guitars, but it's a) rarely their decision, and b) shure dynamic mics are essentially 'live' mics... they're undisputed kings in the live world, but that is a very different place to the studio. I don't think anyone here would deny the greatness of shure dynamics live
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 2, 2011,
*takes a bow*

Also, we should definitely have someone at UG looking at a way of tagging other users in posts!
Quote by DisarmGoliath
*takes a bow*

Also, we should definitely have someone at UG looking at a way of tagging other users in posts!

Good point DisarmGoliath.
Quote by Afroboy267
Good point DisarmGoliath.

Not quite what I meant, but touché I was more on about it popping up as a notification on someone's profile, facebook style. Was thinking of it ever since Firehawk mentioined us needing a 'like' or '+1' button
Vocals:

any LDC for melodic parts and a dynamic for screaming. I can't recommend the SM7 enough, the EV Re20 is great too. For LDC maybe a Shure KSM or CAD M179, nothing too shiny.

For guitars I would use a 57, sm7, or sennheiser e906. Maybe a condenser set a few feet back from the cabs. I would also get a DI track for reamping/modeleing purposes
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by DisarmGoliath
*takes a bow*

its called searching your username :P i do it i won't lie lol
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Not quite what I meant, but touché I was more on about it popping up as a notification on someone's profile, facebook style. Was thinking of it ever since Firehawk mentioined us needing a 'like' or '+1' button

Yeah, could work well. Facebook pretty much has everything.
audix and sennhiesser man. the I-5 Is beautiful for guitars and screaming vocals, it feels more like a microphone to the vocalist and they tend to get a better sound when there comfortable.
Agreed with most of Disarm's post, but I don't think Behringer mixers are that bad. I used one for my first (geez.... eight?) years of recording before upgrading to something considerably better (and considerably more expensive.) For the price, you can't touch them. Even at twice the price, there is not much competition, though at a little more than that, you start getting some measurably better options.

Quote by KG6_Steven
Don't think you can't obtain good sound from a 57 or 58 on vocals.

This is true. I recorded one singer who sounded strident with every mic I threw at her, including my LD condensor, my LD dynamic (for that BIG radio voice!), and everything else. As a last resort, I dug out the SM58 and it was absolutely brilliant.

Mind you, that was just one singer. None of the others ever saw a 58.

Quote by KG6_Steven

Many studios still rely on these mics. They are a standard mic in many mic lockers.

Most carpenters still have hand saws as part of their standard equipment. However, very few cuts made by carpenters are actually made with hand saws.

Quote by KG6_Steven

There are several nationally known bands who also use 58s on stage. There's a reason for that.

There are several famous people who will eat a Big Mac. It doesn't mean it's a great burger. It just means that it is familiar, cheap, and ubiquitous. The SM58 has the added bonus that it is virtually indestructible.

Quote by KG6_Steven

The 57 and 58 are essentially the same mic and use the same element.

They use the same capsule, but the different housing and windscreen make them measurably different mics. Kinda like saying the Toyota Camry and the Lexus RX350 are the same car because they have the same engine.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by BadBanshee

I bought this microphone to use for a small band. Works well, and has a good quality and the price I bought it here was half the market price!

not sure how much it costs but the shure SM7B is a terrific mic
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
^ I just got an SM7b. With taxes, it came to just over $400.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by kvklay
I bought this microphone to use for a small band. Works well, and has a good quality and the price I bought it here was half the market price!

Should be careful. There's a lot of youtube videos and articles on fake Shure microphones, so it's a well known scam.