Page 1 of 2
Look's like that Occupy Wall Street thing actually got to some people

Link

The arrests took place when a large group of marchers, participating in a second week of protests by the Occupy Wall Street movement, broke off from others on the bridge's pedestrian walkway and headed across the Brooklyn-bound lanes.

"Over 700 summonses and desk appearance tickets have been issued in connection with a demonstration on the Brooklyn Bridge late this afternoon after multiple warnings by police were given to protesters to stay on the pedestrian walkway, and that if they took roadway they would be arrested," a police spokesman said.

"Some complied and took the walkway without being arrested. Others proceeded on the Brooklyn-bound vehicular roadway and were. The bridge was re-opened to traffic at 8:05 p.m. (0005 GMT Sunday)."

Most of those who were arrested were taken into custody off the bridge, issued summonses and released.

In addition to what they view as excessive force and unfair treatment of minorities, including Muslims, the movement is also protesting against home foreclosures, high unemployment and the 2008 bailouts.

Filmmaker Michael Moore and actress Susan Sarandon have stopped by the protesters' camp, which is plastered with posters with anti-Wall Street slogans and has a kitchen and library, to offer their support.

One of the biggest hypocrites (Michael Moore has made millions off of his movies yet hates Capitalism) supports them and their protest of foreclosures, unemployment, and the bailouts.

One stupid thing I see right off is the fact that they could have easily kept themselves from getting arrested and that they're protesting foreclosures, even though the foreclosures were brought about by people buying houses they couldn't afford, and banks not paying attention and giving them a mortgage.

I'll give them the protesting against the bailouts though
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Protesters have a knack for also being idiots.
Check out my band Disturbed
People caring about their lives and oppression are now called idiots.

God, where's this going to?
A little bit more and you will call people who release secret information of the US-army with links to mass-murders and financing dictators a terrorist and invading armies that kill million citizens a liberation army of the west.. ooh wait.
Quote by AmirT

A little bit more and you will call people who release secret information of the US-army with links to mass-murders and financing dictators a terrorist and invading armies that kill million citizens a liberation army of the west.. ooh wait.

Where is this oppression? I'm certainly not feeling oppressed, are you?
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
You know what's even stupider? Poorly conceived ideological criticism of the movement and the immediate butthurt that follows when this is pointed out.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by izbbass
Where is this oppression? I'm certainly not feeling oppressed, are you?

Birthday : November 7, 1992
Education : High school

Hear that? That's your credibility dying a slow and painful death.
Quote by izbbass
even though the foreclosures were brought about by people buying houses they couldn't afford, and banks not paying attention and giving them a mortgage.

I doubt that.

I'm not fussed over them being arrested. I'm just amused by disruptive things.
Quote by AmirT
People caring about their lives and oppression are now called idiots

Yes, because they were blocking the bridge traffic after being told to stay on the walkway.
Quote by AmirT

Well maybe if protesters were actually helping anything then they wouldn't be called idiots.
Quote by michal23
Birthday : November 7, 1992
Education : High school

Hear that? That's your credibility dying a slow and painful death.

So an 18 year old high school graduate can't have any credibility?

Quote by MakinLattes
I doubt that.

I'm not fussed over them being arrested. I'm just amused by disruptive things.

A bank would never give a loan to someone that couldn't afford it. But that's exactly what caused the housing crisis.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Last edited by izbbass at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by izbbass
So an 18 year old high school graduate can't have any credibility?

An 18 year old high school graduate is unlikely to have experienced working two dead-end jobs day and night to put what little food on the table they can for their family and keep a shitty roof over their head, so you're not exactly in the best position to exclaim how you don't see any oppression. Because there are people who, as far as they're concerned, are having a financial war waged against them and to dismiss them in one sweeping statement like that is quite unfair.

EDIT:

Also, on a side note
Quote by izbbass
though the foreclosures were brought about by people buying houses they couldn't afford, and banks not paying attention and giving them a mortgage.

It's not banks "not paying attention and giving them the mortgage", it's bank deliberately leading people on and doing everything short of coercing people into "upgrading" their mortgage, assuring them it's best for them, despite knowing full well that the people can't afford it, then pretending it's a safe and sound mortgage and selling it on for huge profits.

These people profit off of the lives and welfare of ordinary people. And that's just in their own country, I'm not gonna start on the international scene...
Last edited by michal23 at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by izbbass
One of the biggest hypocrites (Michael Moore has made millions off of his movies yet hates Capitalism) supports them and their protest of foreclosures, unemployment, and the bailouts.

Capitalism isn't just making money. And even if so, maybe Michael Moore gives that money to charities? Or future films.

Quote by dann_blood
You know what's even stupider? Poorly conceived ideological criticism of the movement and the immediate butthurt that follows when this is pointed out.

Inb4thelatterpart
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
i've said this time and time again. This world is falling apart but at least these people are TRYING to do something instead of sittin on there asses and complaining
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
Quote by izbbass
A bank would never give a loan to someone that couldn't afford it. But that's exactly what caused the housing crisis.

So it was intentional. Problem solved.

edit: Also, not don't what you're told =/= stupid. It's sort of what this country is built on.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Oct 2, 2011,
You're an idiot if you think Michael Moore can't make money off of his movies and compare it to capitalism
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by MakinLattes
edit: Also, not don't what you're told =/= stupid. It's sort of what this country is built on.

Being warned not to do something that is illegal in the first place (and for good reason) and proceeding to do it anyway only to get arrested is stupid. Just because you're protesting something doesn't mean you can just ignore traffic laws.
Quote by StewieSwan
Being warned not to do something that is illegal in the first place (and for good reason) and proceeding to do it anyway only to get arrested is stupid. Just because you're protesting something doesn't mean you can just ignore traffic laws.

Well, someone's unaware of how the USA was founded.
Quote by michal23
Well, someone's unaware of how the USA was founded.

Seems you ignored the part about it being illegal for good reason.
Quote by michal23

Fantastic argument. Would read again.
Quote by StewieSwan

I don't think they were ignoring traffic laws. They were blatantly going against them, fully aware of the consequences. I don't think it's stupid, I think it's a burn. Asinine, maybe.

Like I give two shits about a traffic jam 3000 miles away.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
Well maybe if protesters were actually helping anything then they wouldn't be called idiots.

They're trying. You, what've you done recently?
Quote by StewieSwan
Fantastic argument. Would read again.

Fine. Where shall we start?

The Occupy Wall Street movement started as a result of people feeling increasingly that their voices were not being heard and the government does not represent them. Indeed, when you see that the same people in the US government are in essentially all major US corporations and the scale of lobbying that exists in the US, it's difficult not to appreciate these people's concerns unless you wilfully try to ignore it.

Now, seeing as the majority of the people on this movement will therefore be of the belief that the politicians and big business do not give a flying **** about them (and, incidentally, they would be absolutely correct), they seem to have pretty well figured out that sitting in a big circle in central park, holding hands and singing kum ba ya isn't really going to get a response they hope for. The only way they feel that they can get the attention they require is by targeting the elite where it hurts them: targeting their money and their power.

Yelling slogans in Wall St. isn't really going to do that. Making Wall St. completely inaccessible and difficult to work in is. Blocking the Brooklyn Bridge, stopping traffic and thus the elite and the elite's resources in its tracks is going to get that attention. If they REALLY wanted to be heard, they would smash the shit out of Wall St. They would blow up the Brooklyn Bridge and set alight every last police vehicle in the area. Soon as the elite start fearing for their money and their power, shit starts to get done.

So tell me, who the **** are you, to tell these people that they're "stupid for walking out into the road", as if walking down a side-walk in an orderly fashion has EVER achieved ANYTHING in the entire history humanity, just because you clearly lead a comfortable lifestyle and are not being, day after day, robbed of all you have by the financial elite in the way the majority of these people are?
Quote by StewieSwan

Taking the street is standard procedure. Fuck 'em, let them get stuck in traffic. People have the right to assemble and strike; cars don't.
Quote by Rising
Taking the street is standard procedure. Fuck 'em, let them get stuck in traffic. People have the right to assemble and strike; cars don't.

Not wherever they want to. I can't organize a protest in the middle of the interstate for obvious reasons.
Quote by StewieSwan
Not wherever they want to. I can't organize a protest in the middle of the interstate for obvious reasons.

It kind of defeats the point of protest if you have to request permission for a location and date of said protest from the people against which you are protesting.
Say what you want about traffic laws or disruption, you have to admit that 700 arrested is an insane amount.
Quote by michal23
It kind of defeats the point of protest if you have to request permission for a location and date of said protest from the people against which you are protesting.

Who said anything about requesting for a location and date? All they had to do was stay on the sidewalk. It's not like this protest is going to accomplish anything significant anyway. Any real change in Wall St. must be financially motivated.

Researching the people you vote for > Making people late coming home from work

Quote by MakinLattes
Legality doesn't bar others the way it does you.

Traffic laws are not some arbitrary thing. They're in place to protect both drivers and pedestrians.

Quote by psyks
Say what you want about traffic laws or disruption, you have to admit that 700 arrested is an insane amount.

I agree. Huge waste of resources.
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by StewieSwan
Who said anything about requesting for a location and date? All they had to do was stay on the sidewalk. It's not like this protest is going to accomplish anything significant anyway. Any real change in Wall St. must be financially motivated.

Well, yeah. Thanks to the police and people like you who see the trees but not the whole forest, you know? It's like you're so preoccupied with their presentation; you've lost sight of the big picture.

Quote by StewieSwan
Researching the people you vote for > Making people late for work

Making people late for work > defending our reptilian overlords online.

Quote by StewieSwan

Traffic laws are not some arbitrary thing. They're in place to protect both drivers and pedestrians.

fundamental human rights, including the freedom of expression and assembly are not some arbitrary things, either. They're in place to protect people (me and you, etc) from downright dangerously unpleasant rich people. What do you think about that?

I also think 700 arrested + whoever didn't get arrested, so lets say 800. I think 800 people is enough to justify the taking over of a street. You got to admit a 700 person mass arrest is insane.
Last edited by Rising at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by Rising
Well, yeah. Thanks to the police and people like you who see the trees but not the whole forest, you know? It's like you're so preoccupied with their presentation; you've lost sight of the big picture.

I just think that if you're gonna protest something, be smart about it. What did this accomplish? Nothing.

Making people late for work > defending our reptilian overlords online.

Zoot?

fundamental human rights, including the freedom to expression and assembly are not some arbitrary things, either. They're in place to protect people (me and you, etc) from downright dangerously unpleasant rich people. What do you think about that?

I'm not against their right to assemble nor express themselves. They just chose the wrong place to do it. Hell, if they were so bent on making a statement then they should have blocked the side going TO long island, rather than the side going to Brooklyn.

I also think 700 arrested + whoever didn't get arrested, so lets say 800. I think 800 people is enough to justify the taking over of a street. You got to admit a 700 person mass arrest is insane.

Absolutely. It would have been far more effective to decapitate one of them and mount their head on the bridge William Wallace style.
Quote by MakinLattes
It got them a few articles, much more than strolling on a sidewalk would.

Word. I probably wouldn't have known about/given a shit about this if they hadn't decided to stroll onto the street. Now I have read multiple articles, as well as this thread, and am in the know (and support them).

I'm just one guy from another country. Chances are that their actions turned a few heads around the world if I managed to find out about this.

But, the debates of this thread entertain me. Continue .
Last edited by Fate_of_Mind at Oct 2, 2011,
The perspective I have on this is that these protests are largely useless. These kinds of public demonstrations only tend to bring political change in systems where the central authority is already weakened and doesn't allow for orderly dialogue in the first place. Though many like to call the United States a failing fascism, it's quite evident that neither of these is the case.

These people are demonstrating a notable and certainly pertinent opinion that many constituents possess today; however, voicing a sentiment in this manner will only be seen as a hollow and unsympathetic action in a system where it's already debated as a central issue, especially with the unnecessary militant undertones attached to it.

I'm sure many of the people engaged there today are already politically active, but if you really want to see any sweeping reforms take place then we already offer the venues to do so. You can criticize the influence of special interests and campaign funds in federal elections, but none of them hold any real power over the vote of the public. Make your opinion heard about financial reform and the unbalanced tax code, argue for broader fiscal policies that are direct across the entire economy rather than affecting one specific demographic. Unfortunately, protests like these only tend to delegitimize their perspectives in the eyes of the unswayed.
Quote by izbbass
Look's like that Occupy Wall Street thing actually got to some people

Link

One stupid thing I see right off is the fact that they could have easily kept themselves from getting arrested and that they're protesting foreclosures, even though the foreclosures were brought about by people buying houses they couldn't afford, and banks not paying attention and giving them a mortgage.

I'll give them the protesting against the bailouts though

after consulting financial 'experts' who ok'd their application.

Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Oct 2, 2011,
Page 1 of 2