Hi

I'v been looking for a cheap electric guitar- since I'm using a freinds on loan at the moment, I'v found a Yamaha SG200 Made in Japan, in 1974. It's been in a basement for over 20 years- So far I'v put a couple of new strings in, will be putting a full new set when I get them, tuned it up, set the inotation- and given it a good clean.

But, it's got fairly horrible fret buzz on the low E and A strings- and some minor fret buzz on higher strings, playing drop C is impossible, and there is audiable buzz on standard tunings too.

The other problem, is that the bottom 2 strings (one is a new string) both `wobble` allot when plucked, they dont vibrate smoothly like the other strings, they visible wobble back and forth!

Does anyone have any sugestions, and is the guitar, if fixed up, worth the £100 I will be paying if I fix it?

Ps. Is there a way to remove `sun stain` from a guitar, it was origonally white- now it's quite yellow...

Thanks
Last edited by Evilllamas at Oct 2, 2011,
I found one of these on the Fender forums. He said it plays great and sounds great and that he payed about the same to fix it up plus buying it. So go for it.
DAMN you found one of these in a BASEMENT? im quite frankly very jealous. these were called the Les Paul killers of their time and still are. If you fix it up, you could get a pretty penny out of it even if you dont like it.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
Thanks for telling me how great it is... when fixed...
But at the moment- the frets buzz like you wouldn't believe, and drop C is impossible

Anyone got any ideas?
Tomorrow, I'm going to give the truss rod a tweak, raise the bridge a little- then sometime in the week get a set of new, lighter gauge strings on it, and properly set intuition.
If that doesn't work- I'm going to have to pay a proffesional, and there arn't many nearby!
Lighter gauge strings will make your problem worse if anything. Also, before you make any judgements, get new strings. Old strings, especially 20 year old strings, wil not sound or play right. As for getting rid of the yellowing??? Why?! That's one of the best part of how an old gutiar looks!!! And drop c?..... facepalm
yeah drop c is a real facepalm, this is not a guitar for metal. Look at the neck angle and see if that changed over the years at all. adjust the truss rod, change strings, dress the frets, adjust the bridge, use light strings, all that jive and get back to us with pics, the yellowing is cool and learn some blues and old style rock and roll bud.
- Cody

Quote by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
Any guitar can be used in low tunings... Isis used Strats tuned to B. You just have to set it up right. If you wanna tune down though, get heavier strings, not lighter. If you can't get rid of the fret buzz yourself, have it set up by a tech.
I understand that the SG200 was made prior to 1984 as from 1984 it became the SBG?
if that is the case then i picked up a fantastic Bargain a 1974 Yamaha SG200. it is a tad the worse for wear and the serial number KL05050 would indicate either 1974 or 1984
However as the pickups are stamped with the old 70's stamp and are have the ability to be coil tapped. and that the posts are on a PCB that this is a 1974 model.
The guitar has some chips to the headstock and some around the bottom Bout.
I am going to have it restored to New condition (Fortunately it is Black and the back of the headstock where the serial number is will not require any work other than a coat of lacquer. the same applies to the neck. The sides of the headstock have some deep chips and will require filling. as will a couple of chips to the body. So today I have stripped it down ready for restoration I paid £142 including shipping !!!!! a GIFT
Quote by Salach_or
I understand that the SG200 was made prior to 1984 as from 1984 it became the SBG?
if that is the case then i picked up a fantastic Bargain a 1974 Yamaha SG200. it is a tad the worse for wear and the serial number KL05050 would indicate either 1974 or 1984
However as the pickups are stamped with the old 70's stamp and are have the ability to be coil tapped. and that the posts are on a PCB that this is a 1974 model.
The guitar has some chips to the headstock and some around the bottom Bout.
I am going to have it restored to New condition (Fortunately it is Black and the back of the headstock where the serial number is will not require any work other than a coat of lacquer. the same applies to the neck. The sides of the headstock have some deep chips and will require filling. as will a couple of chips to the body. So today I have stripped it down ready for restoration I paid £142 including shipping !!!!! a GIFT

1. why did you have to necrobump a thread from 18 months ago?

2. you do realise that just because a guitar is old, doesn't mean it's valuable right?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."