It's not too bad but not having it at all is what we aim for so I'm asking if it's the wiring that's getting weaker or if it's the speakers. What's wrong? Could I get some advice from a technician or some who knows about amps? It's a Rocktron Rampage R50c if that's important.
Last edited by CrazyAce#7 at Oct 2, 2011,
humming can come from lots of different sources.

i highly doubt it is the wiring or the speaker but it could be.

usually the culprits will be poor grounding (with amp or guitar) or something in your environment. Bad house power, florescent lights, computers, radios, cell phones, etc.

if this is a tube amp, you can look at replacing the preamp tubes.

try a different guitar in your amp, different cables, different room in the house, etc.
Does it hum with no cables plugged into the input? If not, the problem is with guitar and/or cable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It does hum without a guitar or cord plugged in. As I turn the volume knobs up louder, it hums louder. And what exactly is grounding?
'Ground' is the reference to which all your gear is (should) be connected to.

If youre getting a loud hum with no input cable at all, then the ground to your amp is electrically noisy. Try a different power socket, preferably in a different room and see if that helps
Quote by Phoenix V
'Ground' is the reference to which all your gear is (should) be connected to.

If youre getting a loud hum with no input cable at all, then the ground to your amp is electrically noisy. Try a different power socket, preferably in a different room and see if that helps

Also try turning off, or unplugging lights or other appliances in the room. Could just be picking up RF noise from something nearby.

Or maybe your gain is cranked to the max, and that's why it's humming... Amps hum more the higher your gain setting. Just throwing that out there. Does it hum the same when it's on the clean channel? Does changing any knob setting eliminate, or reduce the hum? Has it always made this noise, or is this something new?

Just giving you some things to try to help isolate the problem, if there is one. From what I can tell, it's a solid state amp, so that eliminates any kind of bad tube being the problem.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I just moved into a new house and nothing else is around or plugged in the same room. It's a solid state, it hums the same on the clean channel, it seems like the equalizer knobs help reduce it a tad bit. It even hums when the volume and gain (all for that matter) knobs are turned down completely. I got the amp like that, not store bought but in a trade.
It can be a lot of things. If you can determine what frequency the hum is it would help a lot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Other than moderately loud, I don't know how else to describe it. I can't measure the frequency, I don't have a tool for it. Is there a Droid app for it? Haha
Quote by CrazyAce#7
I just moved into a new house and nothing else is around or plugged in the same room.

Yeah but did you try a different socket in another room
Now I did and nothing has changed. What could be some interal problems? just to list some possibilities