So I'm trying to play Occam's Razor by Porcupine Tree, but I can't figure out how many beats to count between each set of three hits on that chord.
Anybody got any ideas?
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Sounds like 11/4, or 11 beats, at least for the first groupings of chords. Not sure about the rest of the song when there's long periods of silence or near-silence.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
It's probably not the most intuitive or even a good way of counting it, but I can hit the beats fairly confidently if I count it like 32/8. I'm not a metronome so it might also be 31/8, but 32/8 seems more probable since it's ~4/4.

The 3 chords played in the beginning sound like dotted quarter notes (I hear them as ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three-ONE-two-three). To count the 32/8 bar I tap my hand to something in eight notes while accenting every third note and counting the accented notes, like this:

[color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap 
ONE         TWO         THREE       FOUR    

[color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap 
FIVE        SIX         SEVEN       EIGHT       

[color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap tap [color="Red"]tap[/COLOR] tap 
NINE        TEN         ELEVEN

Notice how eleven only has 2 "taps". I'm sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but it works for me.

I have no idea how they thought of it when playing it though. Perhaps they played the 3 first chords like polyrhytms and just were in the 4/4 mindset all the way. No idea.

EDIT: How did I come to this conclusion? I tried thinking that the first 3 chord were quarter notes. 11/4 sounded just a bit too long. In my opinion, a 8th note triplet too long. It might be 11/4, and if it is 11/4, I'll be very depressed because my sense of timing is terrible.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Oct 2, 2011,
The electric guitar things are in 5/4 with the first 3 quarter notes being accented and then it rings out for the next 7 beats (the last half of the first measure, and the second measure). Repeat. Then there's a bars of silence (5/4) before a bar of 4/4 + 7/8 in the clean guitar, and then two bars of 5/4 with the clean guitar and then back to the distortion.

EDIT: It does have a triplet feel, but this is the easiest way to count it.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
The electric guitar things are in 5/4 with the first 3 quarter notes being accented and then it rings out for the next 7 beats (the last half of the first measure, and the second measure). Repeat. Then there's a bars of silence (5/4) before a bar of 4/4 + 7/8 in the clean guitar, and then two bars of 5/4 with the clean guitar and then back to the distortion.

EDIT: It does have a triplet feel, but this is the easiest way to count it.

Yours made the most sense, and felt pretty much correct when I was counting along to the song.
Now hopefully I can actually pull it off.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses