Where to start?

Well, I formed this band with another guitarist (I play bass) who I have no come to realise is not very good at his job at all. He only just started playing the instrument, so I can't blame him - but I want to do bigger things than have him dragging me down. However, he is one of the few guitarists who likes the music I want to play (Tool, Metallica). The band has two guitarists, the other one is fine, its just this one that is giving me the headache.

However, one of my best friends is a brilliant guitarist. He's into screamo, Bullet for My Valentine, Alesana, that sort of stuff. That's his passion music wise. However, he doesn't mind Tool, Metallica etc. He offered to help me out and join our band, but then that's 3 guitarists which is too much I guess.

So thats the problem. I would really love to just quit that band and make a new one with my friend who's really good at guitar, except I don't think he likes that music enough to dedicate himself to it.

So what do I do? How do I handle my crappy guitarist who's really ruining it all for me, but he's also a founding member of the band and likes the music I like. What do I do about my friend who's an amazing guitarist and wants to help out - but is not fully dedicated as much as to his other band which he plays in that plays music he likes most.

Thanks for reading this
What is your heart telling you?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Id say keep the band as it is because that crappy guitarist is going to improve, but your friend wont change his taste

How bad actally is he? Hes not competent enough to play bands material or something?

You could always help him to get better by suggesting some excercises or maybe even giving him a few lessons
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Well I would stay with the not so good guitarist. You have 2 guitarists in the band so the not so good guitarist can play the easier parts. And he will become better. Good band doesn't have to be skilled. It's more important to like the music you play and enjoy playing in a band than play with some very good guitarist whose music you don't like. That's how I started, OK, I wasn't skilled either. We had a guitarist that had just started and I played bass. But we had fun even though the guitarist sucked.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The thing is, he only just started, which means he's miles behind everyone else. Also, as a person, he's not the easiest to get along with. For example, last practice, we were playing Schism by Tool - which is an incredibly bass centric song. Its a hard song to play, but I had it down. My distortion guitarist had his distortion bit down (mostly just harmonics and effects), but the guitarist in question who suggested the song is all over the place - and we didn't get passed the first verse before we had to stop because he was playing out of time and poorly. Then he just glares at me and says, "I'd rather hear Dave [the other guitarist] then you."

It took all my will not to fire him there, because I knew everyone else was thinking the same thing. But showing our last strains of patience we bit our tongues and went through the rest of that practice getting absolutely NOWHERE.
Ah, the classic choice between a skilled one vs. an unskilled one but who is also dedicated/ a perfect fit.

So, you like Tool and Metallica. Are you incapable of playing anything else? I mean, it is possible to make a compromise with the skilled guitarist ("We play one Bullet song, then one Tool song etc."), or if you are planning on writing songs you could work something out that both of you like.

As for the unskilled one, I would suggest talking to him about it. Say that you think he needs to practice more, and that you are thinking about playing with the good guitarist. Let him know the position you are in. The worst thing you can do is quit the current band, hurt everyone's feelings, start a new one and then regret quitting the first one. It might be possible to have two bands at the same time as well.

To sum up, talk to the bad guitarist (be honest, but not rude), try to find a compromise with the good guitarist and try to have both bands at the same time, if possible.

If the bad guitarist never improves and the good guitarist refuses to play anything that you suggest, I would say screw them both.
Quote by userlastname
The thing is, he only just started, which means he's miles behind everyone else. Also, as a person, he's not the easiest to get along with. For example, last practice, we were playing Schism by Tool - which is an incredibly bass centric song. Its a hard song to play, but I had it down. My distortion guitarist had his distortion bit down (mostly just harmonics and effects), but the guitarist in question who suggested the song is all over the place - and we didn't get passed the first verse before we had to stop because he was playing out of time and poorly. Then he just glares at me and says, "I'd rather hear Dave [the other guitarist] then you."

It took all my will not to fire him there, because I knew everyone else was thinking the same thing. But showing our last strains of patience we bit our tongues and went through the rest of that practice getting absolutely NOWHERE.

OK then that's another problem. If you don't like him as a person that much then I would say that find a new guitarist. You will still have at least one guitarist. But I'm sure there are many guitarists who like the music you want to play. You can start with only one guitarist until you find the second guitarist.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
@Brothir
The problem is, the skilled guitarist already has a band where he plays the music he likes. If he didn't have that band I think I'd take him in and do just what you said. But I don't want to take him in if we're a second priority. I'm definitely fine with making a compromise with the music he likes, but he already has a band that does that.

Gahhh, its soo complicated.
Last edited by userlastname at Oct 2, 2011,
@userlastname

Well that makes things a bit harder.

Hmm.

The unskilled one is holding your band back, and all of you agree on that. You have to tell him that he is holding you back, and therefore you can't have him in the band when he is at his current skill level. Keeping him in the band will only bring all of you unhappiness and frustration, as long as he is holding you back. I've had a similar problem, but they could at least perform the songs we played (usually, anyway).

Seeing as how the skilled guitarist has offered to help, there's little reason to not take him in. If there comes a time when you must part because he prioritises his other band, then that sucks. However, it sucks even more to have to deal with a bad guitarist who is holding you back.
well considering that bullet tool and metallica all encompass the metal genre, chances are you could probably jam with the really good guitar player and make a comprimise. obviously, these bands have their differences, but they are more similar than you think. you could easily make a compromise with these bands similarities and differences. if he isnt willing to compromise at all then hes probably not worth taking the time to start a band with.
You know, you don't have to be "a band" right away.

You can hang out and play Metallica and Tool with one guy, helping him grow as a musician and playing the kind of stuff you want to play ... while playing other stuff with the better musician, growing yourself, and having fun that way.

There's no rule which says you can only play with one guy at a time. Until you've got a bassist and drummer, and are working towards playing gigs, it's meaningless to call yourselves a band anyway.
Just start a second band and have two bands.
~
"I'm a musician, what did you expect?"

~