I am going to start my journey for a bass and amp soon and I was wondering if you guys could tell me what is good and what I should avoid and if you have any tips and whatnot.

I am currently renting a bass from my local music shop (it's a Yamaha RBX170) and an amp ( http://tinyurl.com/44e9ega ). I have been playing for about 3 months and I'd like play in a band soon.

I have played a Squier P bass with a Fender Rumble 15 amp at a hangout place in my town and I liked the Pbass more than the RBX170 that I am renting (the P bass needs new string though). The amp seemed to be loud enough when playing with a loud drummer and a guitarist, but the area we were playing in wasn't very large.

My budget is at the most $600, but I'd like to spend less than that if possible. I have looked around on craigslist and other places for used stuff around where I live but I couldn't find anything that wasn't overpriced or was interesting to me. I play mostly rock right now, but I'd like to learn some jazz and metal (maybe), so the bass and amp would have to be versatile. I want 4 strings, but I might try out a 5 or 6 string.

I also need some cables. If I buy a pedal, what do I need for it to work? Are there any accessories I should get (string winder, etc.)? I heard you can haggle the price of whatever lower sometimes. How would I go about doing that?

I know I actually have to go and try stuff to so if I am going to like it.
Squiers are the best basses for beginners and people on a budget. My first bass was a Squier Bronco and I love that thing. It's a short scale, so it's easy to play on. However, after a while I found myself wanting a full scale bass. That's why I'd recommend a Squier Precision Bass, Jazz Bass, or Jaguar Bass. The main differences between P Basses and Jazz Basses are that the necks on Jazz Basses are narrower and it has 2 pickups instead of one. People tend to describe the sound of P Basses to be more "thumpy" than Jazz Basses. Then there's the new Jaguar Bass, which has a Jazz Bass neck and one P Bass and one Jazz Bass pickup. I tried one of these last month and I was very impressed with it. There are several different versions of these basses, ranging from $200 to $350, and the $200 ones are quality basses.

Another route for a cheap bass would be to get an SX bass off http://www.rondomusic.com/. I've never played one of these, but I've read reviews and people say they are just as good (if not slightly better) than Squiers for a bit cheaper. Their basses are essentially copies of P, Jazz, and Jaguar basses (and some other exotic ones). I would like to get one myself.

As for an amp, I recommend Peavy amps. I don't know why, but the old one I bought off a friend that was made in 2000 sounds really good to me. For $200 you can get the Peavy Max 112 Bass Combo. I haven't played one, but I just did a quick search online and that was in your budget range and the reviews for it are high. I don't think I've played a Fender Rumble amp before, but I do hear good things about those as well.

After you've got a bass and an amp, all you really need is an amp cable. You can get a 20 footer for $20 I think, and that'll be plenty of length. I've never used a string winder and I don't have a problem cranking the tuners by hand. Pedals are nice, but when you're beginning you don't really need it so much. If you do buy a pedal, you'll need another amp cable and something to power it. Some people use 9 volt batteries, but those run out quickly and are expensive. I use a Visual Sound 1 Spot adapter to power my 3 guitar pedals and I'm pleased with it. Or you can buy a power cord from the maker of the pedal. Either way, it'll save you money in the long run. Also, you may want to buy picks (which are super cheap) if you're going to play with a pick. I know some people frown upon picking in the bass community, but they do work well for many different types of playing.

Hope this helps!
Well with Squier you're on the right track. I have a 20th Anniversary Squier P bass and it sounds pretty damn good, not as good as my Fender, but what do you expect for 200 bucks?

If I were you I would check out the Squier Affinity Jazz, since you've already played a P bass and see which one you like more. If you wanted to spend a little more you could check out Guitar centers used section, you might find a good Fender for cheap. I got my Jazz for 270 shipped and my P bass for 320 (Mind you these were after taxes and shipping) Hell you might even find a Squier Vintage Modified used on there as well, which is highly regarded around here as one of the best buys.

If you go the GC used route only check basses with four or five stars, Those are in the best condition.

As far as pedals go. maybe a compressor or a fuzz pedal, but I would wait until you really know what yo want before you jump into that.

I can't really help you with amps, since I don't play with bands.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
I'm in Canada so there are no Guitar Centers that I know of, but there are stores like it.
+1 on the Squiers. I just bought a Classic Vibe Jazz bass. The quality is amazing. If you liked the feel of the P-bass, then go with that. A P-bass fits most styles and is tried and true.

As for amps, 60-100watts will work with a band setting but it wont sound as good as 200-300watts. Acoustic makes good amps for the money. Used, people recommend Peavey a lot.