Hi

I'm learning slowly Paganini's 5th Caprice, but when I play it for some time my left wrist starts hurting and I need a rest.
Why does it hurt? Am I just not used to it? Or why?

Thanks
Well the first thing that come to mind is that you might be very tense. Relax when learning things, if you start getting tense you need to practice slower for a while to get used to it so you dont tense up.
Look at every aspect of your technique, there's likely to be something wrong somewhere. I would put money on it being your posture but you should definitely look very carefully for tension as well.

If you can then get someone else to look at what you're doing, an outside pair of eyes may spot things you're unaware of.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You're doing it wrong.
Make sure you're comfortable while playing, and avoid doing movments causing pain or making you tense.
Quote by Sickz
Well the first thing that come to mind is that you might be very tense. Relax when learning things, if you start getting tense you need to practice slower for a while to get used to it so you dont tense up.

How can I realx? When I start playing my left arm goes tense and I start pumping muscle xD
Then you're trying to play too fast, too soon.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
How can I realx? When I start playing my left arm goes tense and I start pumping muscle xD

Well easiest way to relax is prob to slow down a little bit.

Examine your technique abit, what can you do to stay more relaxed?
Are you pushing down more on the frets then you actully have to to get the note?
Is it as Zaphod said your posture that makes it akward?

Hope that helped.
As soon as you get pain, have a break.

Use the minimum ammount of movement and pressure possible, work on playing some of the notes legato, and keep your strap high so you don't have to bend your wirst.
So this is a no no.

Hope that helps.
METAL!
When practcing difficult stuff you should go SLOW, same as SICKZ told you.

You also try to practice that caprice at a speed where you are relaxed, and start increasing bpm from there.

Also it is not a good idea to overdo stuff.

If you plan on learning paganinis caprice you should devote 30 - 60 minutes from your practice routine to it and in rest practice other stuff.

If you persevere (play it daily) you will see results