Hey Guys

I want to build a own guitar. It should have the look of a PRS guitar. I never build one before, but I am interested of how it works and how much effort it will take to make a real good one Does someone has good advices for me or even a Internet-Guide? Something I should focus on as beginner in building Guitars?

Hope you Guys can help me out : D
Well, some experience with general woodwork would help a lot. Even just what you can remember from craft as school will be handy.

Building a guitar is no easy task. There honestly is a hell of a lot to think about, and since they are made out of reasonable expensive wood, you don't want to mess up.

I'd recommend that if you're not already entirely confident with general woodwork, you should practice crafting small stuff while you research every concievable aspect of the guitar you're going to build. I repeat, there really is a hell of a lot to think about. Take the neck, for instance. You need to decide on the wood for the neck, the wood for the fingerboard, the neck scale, the number of pieces (one-piece neck, three-piece, etc.), the neck profile, the number of frets (and their width and the metal they're made from), the fingerboard radius, the neck joint, the headstock style, the machine heads, everything involving the truss rod, the neck finish, and the number and style of inlays.

Don't be frightened though- there are plenty of guides out there and you also have the entirety of GB&C at your disposal. Plus, you can cut corners here and there- you could always buy a pre-made neck or get one made for you.

Whatever you do and however it turns out, good luck.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at Oct 2, 2011,
also, i think a PRS is not an easy starter, you might want to start out with just first repairing things on your own guitar and that way getting used to the electronics/hardware on a guitar.
or at least thats the way i learned it
@NeutralFan I already knew about how hard it is to build a guitar and thought about some things you mentioned. So I know what I am getting involved in : D Besides that I won´t build the guitar all on my own. My father is helping me alot even though he isn´t a guitar player he has the skills for cutting the wood in right shape or getting the wood(he used to work in a forest ) All the electric or hardware things are things I think I am able to do them. I changed the humbucker on my current guitar before, so putting some brand new should be fine for me, too. And even though I don´t expect a masterpiece on my first try : D

@Leon987 What model do you think is good for starter? I thaught to myself a strat would be way more difficult and I don´t need another Les Paul :/ So I thought this would be a good compromise? And with the repairing thing...my Les Paul is a guitar I have to repair/adjust something every two months. So I think I should be ready to build a new guitar^^ Lets see what happens
Telecasters are generally some of the easiest starter guitars, and a lot of people like to make them out of pine since thats what some older ones were made of, and it's a cheap and common wood.

That said, the Building, Repair and Templates pack in this thread may be beneficial to you: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189486&highlight=building+repair+templates
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by RockFanatic_X

@Leon987 What model do you think is good for starter? I thaught to myself a strat would be way more difficult and I don´t need another Les Paul :/ So I thought this would be a good compromise? And with the repairing thing...my Les Paul is a guitar I have to repair/adjust something every two months. So I think I should be ready to build a new guitar^^ Lets see what happens

okay then the PRS would be fine, i thought you still had zero experience with guitar parts electronics etc
also, the fact that you have someone who is good with wood is an absolute must

i wish you good luck
Awesome that ur gonna make one. the world always has room for more guitar makers. i myself am just finishing my first. if you have any specific question feel free to message me. id love to guide you along. and trust me, once you make one guitar, theres always gonna be another. have fun building. ( http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/guitarbuilding/ ) for guitar builders

btw: i've been trained (by my Dad) with wood working. any questions just ask. heres the link to the one i made (scroll down): https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483319
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by RockFanatic_X
@NeutralFan I already knew about how hard it is to build a guitar and thought about some things you mentioned. So I know what I am getting involved in : D Besides that I won´t build the guitar all on my own. My father is helping me alot even though he isn´t a guitar player he has the skills for cutting the wood in right shape or getting the wood(he used to work in a forest ) All the electric or hardware things are things I think I am able to do them. I changed the humbucker on my current guitar before, so putting some brand new should be fine for me, too. And even though I don´t expect a masterpiece on my first try : D

That's all good to hear. Wiring a guitar from scratch is a little more confusing, but if you've already changed a pickup then you shouldn't find it too bad (As long as you don't go overboard like I've seen in the past and try to fit in every concievable effect, switching system and electrical quirk in there. Some people are just silly.).

Sounds like you're ready for the challenge then.

So, have you decided on things like woods and electronics yet? I'm itching for a proper build thread.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Not really I will start in the middle of November in my holidays. One thing that is for sure is that I´m gonna put EMGs in my Guitar the rest is still a little bit uncertain. In the next days I will draw a raw plan how the guitar should look like : D But Guys thanks for your support I didn´t expected that much help : D But I appreciate it^^
i would definitely start out with a kit style build. That will allow you the freedom to build and mod your stuff, get you in the practice of wiring and soldering and give you a good feel for what you can and can't do well. There is nothing wrong with having a few easy builds or heavy mods of exsisting guitars under your belt before you get deep into a project that will die out or become a money pit mess. In my opinion.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by RockFanatic_X
Not really I will start in the middle of November in my holidays. One thing that is for sure is that I´m gonna put EMGs in my Guitar the rest is still a little bit uncertain. In the next days I will draw a raw plan how the guitar should look like : D But Guys thanks for your support I didn´t expected that much help : D But I appreciate it^^

Love EMG's. i have one on my Ibanez and it ROCKS!!!!
Quote by RockFanatic_X

Fair enough. I'm pretty certain EMGs have some magic solderless system which should be pretty painless to install anyway.

Good luck, and if you start up a proper build thread, be a dear and post a link to it in here.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Hey,

Welcome to the noobish guitar builder club!

I am just about to start my second build, it has been far too long since the first. You may want to rethink that inlay plan and go for a nice dignified blank fretboard? Because that is hard to do. More power to you if you think you can though!

Another word of advice, from someone who was in your boat a year ago, is to start easy, ask every question you can, no matter how stupid you may think it is and
PLAN out what you want to do, then plan each step of the plan, break it up small. It becomes easy when you break it down.

Have fun!

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Oct 4, 2011,
You may want to rethink that inlay plan and go for a nice dignified blank fretboard? Because that is hard to do. More power to you if you think you can though!

I know that those inlays are hard...that picture is just to get a quick overview how the guitar should look like...I know that I can´t rebuild the guitar in this picture : D
Quote by NeutralFan
Fair enough. I'm pretty certain EMGs have some magic solderless system which should be pretty painless to install anyway.

Good luck, and if you start up a proper build thread, be a dear and post a link to it in here.

EMG's have a no solder system so if u buy those, dont buy a wiring kit. if u buy emg's they will [most likely] come with pots wire and an output jack. mine did.

these are awesome and are easy to install
For that, the second 81tw (not the X). For the 60 http://www.thomann.de/de/emg_60_pickup.htm use that.

That's just my recommendation though. You may prefer something else. For those you can get a huge variety of tones though.
Let me say this.

Guitars, good guitars anyways, are hunks of wood. Think about it enough and you can make a hunk of wood super sexy, like Candice Swanepoel or something.
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
In that case I'd stay away from EMGs. They're great for metal, not so much for other styles. I'd put a high-output passive pup in the bridge, like a Gibson Dirty Fingers or a Duncan JB, and something with a little less output for the neck, like a Duncan '59. Do some research though and find out what's best for you.
Quote by blaaargh
In that case I'd stay away from EMGs. They're great for metal, not so much for other styles. I'd put a high-output passive pup in the bridge, like a Gibson Dirty Fingers or a Duncan JB, and something with a little less output for the neck, like a Duncan '59. Do some research though and find out what's best for you.

Learn what you're talking about before saying something like this.
Quote by Wisthekiller
Learn what you're talking about before saying something like this.

Don't be so harsh.

It is ABSOLUTELY possible to get a great clean/blues sound from active EMGs, the thing is, you will never sound like you have a PAF humbucker, no matter how you EQ.
Quote by blaaargh

LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
If I want to play blues I buy myself a Strat. This guitar I want to build will be a metal-guitar So I will stay with the EMG´s.
I like the Dirty Fingers. I have one in my SG, and it's worked great for me. I understand they're not everyone's pup of choice, but I'm a fan. It's probably important to mention that I'm playing through a Fender amp, so I could get a good clean tone from pretty much any pickup...

Rock Fanatic, that makes more sense. From your earlier post, I assumed you'd want your guitar to be good for a ton of different styles, but if you want a metal guitar, by all means use EMGs.
Quote by blaaargh
I like the Dirty Fingers. I have one in my SG, and it's worked great for me. I understand they're not everyone's pup of choice, but I'm a fan. It's probably important to mention that I'm playing through a Fender amp, so I could get a good clean tone from pretty much any pickup...

Rock Fanatic, that makes more sense. From your earlier post, I assumed you'd want your guitar to be good for a ton of different styles, but if you want a metal guitar, by all means use EMGs.

Fair enough. I've always found them a bit harsh and over-the-top, but if you're happy with them then I shall reserve my judgement.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_