I've been LISTENING to Malmsteen for about 7 months now and playing some of his stuff (skipping the solos and hard rhythms like Anguish and Fear)

I've recently started LEARNING his stuff and can almost play Far Beyond the Sun and Paganini's 5th Caprice (perfect picking) at a 90-95 bpm tempo.

How do I know if i'm doing good or slow? I started learning (memorizing, playing on my own and along) this stuff during September.

I want to know if I'm doing good or if I'm slow

Thanks

-If I'm slow, how can I improve?
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
I've been LISTENING to Malmsteen for about 7 months now and playing some of his stuff (skipping the solos and hard rhythms like Anguish and Fear)

I've recently started LEARNING his stuff and can almost play Far Beyond the Sun and Paganini's 5th Caprice (perfect picking) at a 90-95 bpm tempo.

How do I know if i'm doing good or slow? I started learning (memorizing, playing on my own and along) this stuff during September.

I want to know if I'm doing good or if I'm slow

Thanks

-If I'm slow, how can I improve?

There's no set standard for how skilled you should be at a given point in time. It's a case-by-case basis. It sounds to me like you're doing alright, though I'd be extra careful to make sure that you're keeping your technique comfortable and tension-free when practicing, since that makes a huge difference in how well you can play at higher speeds.

The secret to speed is accuracy and comfort. When you practice something that you want to play rapidly, you need to get into the habit of picking without tension or discomfort. A lot of people disregard that component and turn into very imprecise guitarists because of it.
You know that your good when you can play it cleanly and with little effort.

If you practice something, break it down into sections. Like Intro, verse, chorus, etc.

Then break those down to licks that build up the intro/verse/chorus.

Then practice those at a tempo you can play it, cleanly. When you feel like your doing good (Doing it cleanly and with little effort) you speed up a little. That´s how you do it, speed comes with time and perfect practice.

What i do when i practice something is that i take a riff/lick, play it for 5 minutes straight at the highest tempo i can do it cleanly and relaxed. Then 5 min break, then 5 min again, then 5 min break then 10 min and then don't practice it more for that day. This may seem very time consuming but it works. It builds my muscle memory very well and it's much easier to play the next day, so i can speed up a little.

Hope that helped.
I would like to point out, that Malmsteen plays relying mostly on his speed, technique-wise, it's just very fast altertane picking with occasional legato, bending, sweep picking and tapping.

You can't really "focus" much on developing speed. Physical memory takes YEARS to develop.
Quote by Geldin
There's no set standard for how skilled you should be at a given point in time. It's a case-by-case basis. It sounds to me like you're doing alright, though I'd be extra careful to make sure that you're keeping your technique comfortable and tension-free when practicing, since that makes a huge difference in how well you can play at higher speeds.

The secret to speed is accuracy and comfort. When you practice something that you want to play rapidly, you need to get into the habit of picking without tension or discomfort. A lot of people disregard that component and turn into very imprecise guitarists because of it.

How can I relax while increasing speed or learning? My left hand feels quitt tense
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
How can I relax while increasing speed or learning? My left hand feels quitt tense

Is that your fretting hand? Assuming you're right handed? If so, you only need to press the strings light enough for the note to sound, any less than that, and the note should sound muffled instead.

Basically, the amount of pressure is right on the limit between "sound" and "muffled". That is the maximum amount of tension you should feel, which shouldn't be very much.
Last edited by mdc at Oct 2, 2011,
do you think there's some kind of secret to the guitar? do you think there is a spell book that will rip the space time continuum in half and give you Malmsteens' soloing abilities?

I'm afraid the answer is no.

you just play and keep playing and don't stop playing until you can't play anymore.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100