So I'm currently playing Beefy Slinkys and can tune up to D standard, no problem. If I were to drop to Skinny Top Heavy Bottom, would I be able to tune to standard or would I need to go one gauge even lower? I'm trying to avoid a truss rod adjustment.
Beefy Slinkys are .11's, right? You can tune those to standard without any issues at all. Anyone who told you otherwise is ****ing stupid.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

True, but I just don't like how tense the strings are. Which is why I want to go down one gauge. I'm assuming I'll need an intonation adjustment, but I guess I won't need a truss rod adjustment?
You can play in standard with 11s and even 12s if you want, but you will probably need a slight truss rod adjustment.
The tension just comes with the territory of higher gauges.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

The only tunings I've done on my Xiphos with STHBs are Drop D and Standard. The guitar came with 9s and the truss rod has never needed an adjustment.

My other guitar w/STHBs is a Schecter Avenger and it stays in Drop D. I've never had tp adjust the truss rod on it; don't know if the original owner did. Don't know what strings it comes with from the factory--got mine at a pawn shop with 0s. (I.e., no strings.)
Whether you have to adjust the truss rod or not all depends on how much bow is in the neck. Recommend going with factory specs, and sometimes you have to tweak the truss rod to get there. Might want to find a reputable luthier to help out if you're not experienced at this.
Well I know the action has been lowered by the bridge more often than not. I don't think the truss rod has been touched.
You didn't mention what kind of guitar. If you have a FR on it, and you're going to adjust the action, be sure not to do it with tension on the strings--don't want to wreck your knife edges.