Hi there, I'm sure this has been asked before but using the search bar didn't really find me anything worthwhile. My father's friend is interested in learning to play guitar, and asked me to help him pick one out. He doesn't mind looking used and he wants to play some thrash metal/classic rock type stuff (metallica, guns n roses, etc.) so I've been trying to find a nice beginner guitar with humbuckers. I was just wondering if there are any guitars around $200 CDN that are worth looking into? Before buying I would of course come with to try them out and such but especially with looking used you need to know what to search for. So far I've only really been looking at the epiphone starters, the sg special and les paul special, because I owned one for a while and it wasn't terrible. If anyone has any other suggestions on cheap decent quality hh guitars let me know
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Ibanez? they make some ok starters
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
low end LTDs are always good. Or a used and abused semi-higher end LTD. You could also try some going to your local GC and looking at the used guitars there. They usually have some pretty decent ibanez guitars for great prices.
With $200 he could get a low end Ibanez or Epiphone. They are great if he's just starting.
I know UG doesn't like them, but B.C. Rich makes decent starter guitars (that's about all they're good for) and maybe Laguna as well.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I remember reading about Laguna way back but forgot their exact name, I was searching musiciansfriend for Lagoon guitars I was thinking about ibanez as well but a lot of the used ones I found had trems and I wasn't sure how good they would be, I'm assuming not very. I thought it may be easier to get a hard tail but for the most part hard tail ibanez seems to be an oxymoron. I'll also look into low end ltds, the thought didn't even cross my mind. Any others?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by GibsonMan321
I know UG doesn't like them, but B.C. Rich makes decent starter guitars (that's about all they're good for) and maybe Laguna as well.

there is a reason why we don't like them, It's cause they sound like shit and play even worse than they sound.I'm not just trying to be a d!ck but i've played a few low end B.C. rich guitars and they all disappointed me.
NEW SIGNATURE!
I'd definitely go for a used axe, already nicely broken into and better quality for the price. IMO, starter guitars dont really vary all that much from each other. Especially to a beginning player who probably won't notice the differences until theyre more accustomed to the instruments.
Don't recommend those Ibanez GIOs. Maybe find a used RG. Or a used LTD. Make sure it has 24 frets if he wants to play thrash.

The amp is more important than the guitar--don't get one of those kits.

For what the guy wants to play, I'd recommend a Peavey Vypyr amp.
Quote by GibsonMan321
I know UG doesn't like them, but B.C. Rich makes decent starter guitars (that's about all they're good for)

wat

FWIW I'm not sure buying used is a good idea when you're just new and might get ripped off.

Yamaha pacifica 112v is the boring, but hard-to-go-wrong, answer to most of these starter guitar questions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wat

FWIW I'm not sure buying used is a good idea when you're just new and might get ripped off.

Yamaha pacifica 112v is the boring, but hard-to-go-wrong, answer to most of these starter guitar questions.

Well I would agree, but I'm not new, and I'm helping this guy out. So in this case I'd be able to give it a nice look over. I'll check out the pacifica. Thanks!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Used. used, USED. Go used. You can get a much better guitar for $200 used, a Korean guitar with better tuners, and possibly upgraded pickups. or worst case scenario, you get a starter guitar for half the price and get a better amp.
Definitely go with a low-end Ibanez of some sort. If you are willing to go more than $200, look into the Ibanez ART100. Don't bother with anything by Squire, though. Far overrated, and you can get better.

As for an amp: since you are a beginner, a Line 6 Spider IV 15w would work well for you. Its tone sounds like shit, but you won't be able to tell the difference between good and bad tone until later. The Peavey Vypyr 15w is also a good choice as it sounds better and is more versatile, but it's very complicated to use for a beginner, while the Spider IV is straightforward and easy to use.
Quote by gucio93
Hi there, I'm sure this has been asked before but using the search bar didn't really find me anything worthwhile. My father's friend is interested in learning to play guitar, and asked me to help him pick one out. He doesn't mind looking used and he wants to play some thrash metal/classic rock type stuff (metallica, guns n roses, etc.) so I've been trying to find a nice beginner guitar with humbuckers. I was just wondering if there are any guitars around $200 CDN that are worth looking into? Before buying I would of course come with to try them out and such but especially with looking used you need to know what to search for. So far I've only really been looking at the epiphone starters, the sg special and les paul special, because I owned one for a while and it wasn't terrible. If anyone has any other suggestions on cheap decent quality hh guitars let me know

I bought a Cort 200M guitar about 5 years ago for close to $275 it's been great for me and would reccomend it to any beginner.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Definitely go with a low-end Ibanez of some sort. If you are willing to go more than $200, look into the Ibanez ART100. Don't bother with anything by Squire, though. Far overrated, and you can get better.

As for an amp: since you are a beginner, a Line 6 Spider IV 15w would work well for you. Its tone sounds like shit, but you won't be able to tell the difference between good and bad tone until later. The Peavey Vypyr 15w is also a good choice as it sounds better and is more versatile, but it's very complicated to use for a beginner, while the Spider IV is straightforward and easy to use.

Any Squier > Ibanez GIO.

Spider? No. If you really have to go simple, there are far better choices than a Spider.

Is this a troll?

Dave's right that Yamaha 112 is a great starter; I just wouldn't recommend for someone wanting to play thrash. Shure, you can, but you'll be limited. That's fine if you have multiple guitars, including at least one with 24 frets, but lame if you only have 1. I know 'cause my first 2 electrics were Strats. At least the first had 22 frets.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

We've already decided to buy him the roland microcube. I had one a few years back and it worked great and it's nice and compact, since he lives in an apartment!
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by gucio93
We've already decided to buy him the roland microcube. I had one a few years back and it worked great and it's nice and compact, since he lives in an apartment!

Great choice, its what im using currently with being on the move and all.c rich one series isnt bad...

The b.c rich one series isnt bad...definitlely a step above the infamous bronze series. Also, laguna are pretty nice...played a few in guitar center. Liked the tonal variety.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER.

That is all.

For a beginner, a Squier Strat has SO many sounds.
I play my guitar like I live life; upside-down.

Gear:
Sender Fratocaster
LTD Phoenix-200
Fender Sonoran
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fender Mustang V 412
Quote by TypicalRocker
SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER.

That is all.

I bet they're great for thrash.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by TypicalRocker
SQUIER SQUIER SQUIER.

That is all.

He wants to play metal/classic rock. I think an HH guitar would be a lot more suited to his tastes
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Seriously STAY THE **** AWAY FROM BC RICH!!! They have good mid range guitars but they have some of the worst starter guitars. Just get an Ibanez and you'll be set. Just don't get one with a floating trem. They can be a nightmare for a new player
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Last edited by DamagingExcess at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by gucio93

I decided to go by one of those too, but I came back from the store with a VOX DA5 instead because it had so much more bottom end. I wouldn't recommend either for him unless he's got an MFX unit; neither is much suited for thrash on its own. My VOX does everything I need in my computer room, with a Digitech RP355 running between the guitar and the VOX.

The tube half stack is for shows and band practice; so it's stored in the music room with the drums, etc. Rarely use it by myself since the VOX/Digitech are so versatile together.

BTW, I'm a Roland guy when it comes to pianos and drums; the Cube just didn't pass the side-by-side test against the DA5. So even though I intended to joint the Cube club, it just didn't happen.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by gucio93
Well I would agree, but I'm not new, and I'm helping this guy out. So in this case I'd be able to give it a nice look over. I'll check out the pacifica. Thanks!

oh yeah sure, if you're helping him then used it fine.

EDIT: is there that much need for 24 frets for thrash? maybe there is...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DamagingExcess
Seriously STAY THE **** AWAY FROM BC RICH!!! They have good mid range guitars but they have some of the worst starter guitars. Just get an Ibanez and you'll be set. Just don't get one with a floating trem. They can be a nightmare for a new player

How many have you plaeyed, if any?

I've played some pretty horrible ibby's as well. I would say look for a good mid range used guitar.

The microcube will do thrash close enough...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey

How many have you plaeyed, if any?

I've played some pretty horrible ibby's as well. I would say look for a good mid range used guitar.

The microcube will do thrash close enough...

I played any of the ones that are at GC and my buddy insisted on getting a new one every month or so off craigslist. So a lot. And every single one of them had dead frets, and they were extremely rough and the action was STUPID high. Couldn't lower is any cause the frets were so bad
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
Quote by mrbabo91
You will not be disapointed with an ibanez GRG170DX.

how's the trem on it though? that's the only thing i'm worried about. I'm not a big fan of trems haha. all of my guitars are hardtail so i guess i'm a little biased
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
prolly not great
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd say DEFINITELY GO USED on the guitar. $200 will get a lot more used. look into used ibanez's, LTD's, schecter's, midrange epi LP's.. you know a lot of the guitars that are known for bringing a lot to the table for a midrange guitar.

also a modelling amp may be better i wouldn't say GNR and Metallica have the same tone. having more tonal options will make guitar more enjoyable especially when your still new to guitar.

EDIT: Nevermind the microcube is a modelling amp.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Last edited by whyze250f at Oct 3, 2011,
I wouldn't get any Ibby that starts with G (i.e., GIO, GRG, etc.) And if you're not looking at a hard-tail RG, then I'd be very careful with a used one. Most have Edge trems and those are OK as long as nobody adjusts the action with the strings under tension--that'll flatten the knife edges. So if you get a used Edge or FR trem, then I wouldn't buy it until loosening the strings and inspecting the knife edges. A new Ibanez trem can cost more than the guitar, and that's why they're so easy to find used, and why everyone seems to think the Edge trems suck.
Quote by DamagingExcess
I played any of the ones that are at GC and my buddy insisted on getting a new one every month or so off craigslist. So a lot. And every single one of them had dead frets, and they were extremely rough and the action was STUPID high. Couldn't lower is any cause the frets were so bad

But im meaning the more recent ones...they did change ownership, and it seems the quality has risen substantially. I also have a guitar from each period, so i can somewhat attest to this. My bronze warlock took a lot of work, but the new ironbird1, i have, wont take much, but due to personal preference, its getting torn apart and rebuilt.

With almost any cheap guitar, a proper setup and fret level is needed. I also, had a cheap gio ibanez(which was stolen) and it was quite comparable to to my bc rich. I believe most guitars in this price range are about on par...i mean, its not like more expensive guitars where the builders have a little more financial freedom, these are cheap, low end, budget guitars. This is a big reason i think a lot of boutique builders never produce these low priced models.

But hey, to each their own.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Carvin V220