hello fellow Musicians Im looking for some direction, Im a pretty good guitarist I've been playing almost 3 years now and Im ready to take it to the next level. I want to rip ,shred and just become amazing like dudes like alexi or roope from COB, like I said I can play, My alternate picking is good, hammer-ons and pull-offs are good, can do pinch Harmonics natural Harmonics on just about all 22 frets

I know basic music theory. but I know I could learn more, I guess what im asking is Whats the best next step for me to take? I know I can be great but I need an Idea of where to go to get there, Any Ideas please let me know ,im ready for anything.
Take a song that you ****ing love, with a complex solo and some intense rhythyms, and find out what key and mode it's in. I'm trying to do this stuff right now, and it will really help with your theory.
I don't think what youre asking for really exists. Its not like there is some magic secret or method that everyone has been keeping from you until you were ready. Its a very gradual process. IMO, I believe you should just start practicing riffs/scales at a faster rate. Work on being able to play faster AND accurately while doing so. The same thing you were doing when you were first learning guitar still applies every step of the way. Practice, practice, and practice. Maybe look up the tab for a song by one of those artists that you're really aiming to be and practice it over and over again until you can reach their speed and precision. Thats how I learned to shred. Best of luck!
If you havent already joined or started a band, do it. It will help you progress significantly.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by BurningTurkey
If you havent already joined or started a band, do it. It will help you progress significantly.

Ive never understood why people think this.
How can you not understand that? I jammed one time so far with a drummer buddy of mine and learned a lot of stuff just playing with another person. It forces you out your comfort zone. Makes you react to new things and ideas musically.
Quote by z4twenny

Because not only does being in band force you to keep time with other musicians which is completely different to using a backing track or metronome becuase the tempo can vary at any time, being in a band also motivates you to either learn and perfect cover songs or forces you to get writing yourself.

It can also lead to gigging experience which is important, recording expreience and can gain you contacts within the muisc industry.

My advice is to either join a band or get a teacher.
Apollo99 I would of asked the same question a few months ago. I wanted to do that too. I'm no expert at all but what works for me is simply practice. As soon as I pick up the guitar, I don't play songs but have a routine I go through. Up and down the neck, whilst moving up and down string, in all finger shape. I do it at a moderate pace for accuracy then another time in small burst of speed. Now I'm focusing on moving up and down strings. Just practice! It helped me to get some string tension and use a good pick. I'm sure the pro's pn here can give better advice and actual exercises.
Quote by z4twenny

I've been playing almost 4 years now, and i just started playing with a band who's guitarist quit. In the last month that I've been playing with them, I've learned more than in the Six months before, easily. I'm out of my comfort zone, and I'm trying SO HARD to keep up with a group of people who have 2 to 3 time more experience than me. It pushes you to improve, trust me.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by Apollo999
hello fellow Musicians Im looking for some direction, Im a pretty good guitarist I've been playing almost 3 years now and Im ready to take it to the next level. I want to rip ,shred and just become amazing like dudes like alexi or roope from COB, like I said I can play, My alternate picking is good, hammer-ons and pull-offs are good, can do pinch Harmonics natural Harmonics on just about all 22 frets

I know basic music theory. but I know I could learn more, I guess what im asking is Whats the best next step for me to take? I know I can be great but I need an Idea of where to go to get there, Any Ideas please let me know ,im ready for anything.

I guess I am not understanding your question, because you indicate two things - the development of which are independent.

1. Technique - use a metronome a lot. Learn how to subdivide and play rhythms.

2. Learn theory - Find a suitable way that you want to go about this - are paid guitar lessons online an option? What ever route you go, apply what you've learned musically to the guitar asap.

Best,

Sean
Thanks everyone! really appreciate it! I used to be In a band and I do write my own songs! haha I actually Have a Demo that I want to release soon, the reason I posted is because I can right all these dope riffs and parts for the songs but when it comes to solos I just cant do it!

But I guess this makes sense! I'll try to look up some scales and such ,Im covering alot of songs right now I just wanna makes sure It contributes to me becoming a better player
Last edited by Apollo999 at Oct 3, 2011,