Hey guys. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. My input jack is loose and it's really annoying me.

See the red circle? I opened up the back of my guitar and held the gray wire in place (since it's attached to the input jack) and tightened the nut(?)-type part in the red circle. After that the input jack wasn't loose anymore, but because of my tightening it I couldn't fit anything into the jack. So I ended up just loosening the nut-type part again and now I can plug things in again, but the it still feels pretty loose. How can I fix this?

Th closest music store in my town is two miles from my house and I don't think they do repairs. They only have three guitars in the store, and two are on hold. Plus the person I saw in the store when I first visited it was acting rude, so I don't want to put up with that. Before I moved I lived across the street from a Best Buy that did guitar repairs, but I don't want to pay $20 - $30+ for something I can do myself. Even though I have no experience in this... My friend works there and is good at fixing guitars so I know I can trust the store, but since I moved 12 miles away and I don't have a car + I don't know if he could fix it right away. I don't think that this issue is big and doesn't require me to have to pay someone to fix it for me, though.

What should I do?
You don't need to take all the stuff out the back. Just remove both screws on the jack plate, pull it all out and then just tighten the screw, putting it all back as was.
My PRS SE Santana gets a loose jack sometimes, but I never had a problem with nut tightening making the plug not fit. Maybe you should try tightening the nut while being plugged in, so you dial it down to the right size.
“It’s been very important throughout my career that I’ve met all the guys I’ve copied, because at each stage they’ve said, "Don’t play like me, play like you.”
Eric Clapton

Most Epic Build!
Quote by xShade
Hey guys. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. My input jack is loose and it's really annoying me.

See the red circle? I opened up the back of my guitar and held the gray wire in place (since it's attached to the input jack) and tightened the nut(?)-type part in the red circle. After that the input jack wasn't loose anymore, but because of my tightening it I couldn't fit anything into the jack. So I ended up just loosening the nut-type part again and now I can plug things in again, but the it still feels pretty loose. How can I fix this?

Th closest music store in my town is two miles from my house and I don't think they do repairs. They only have three guitars in the store, and two are on hold. Plus the person I saw in the store when I first visited it was acting rude, so I don't want to put up with that. Before I moved I lived across the street from a Best Buy that did guitar repairs, but I don't want to pay $20 - $30+ for something I can do myself. Even though I have no experience in this... My friend works there and is good at fixing guitars so I know I can trust the store, but since I moved 12 miles away and I don't have a car + I don't know if he could fix it right away. I don't think that this issue is big and doesn't require me to have to pay someone to fix it for me, though.

What should I do?

Bolded: what?

Heres how mine is.
Inside plastic plate- jack, locking washer
Plastic plate
Outside plate- normal washer, nut.

Well tightened it holds great.
hello,

You should not be having any trouble with this, one very important thing do not hold down the wire when tightening the nut hold the actual output jack. holding down the wire could result in the wire coming twisted and unattached from the solder point on the output jack. Also make sure the nut is on straight and not at an angle and do not over tighten those nuts strip easy.Try it again, i would reccommend take in off the plate where the nut is to have an exposed view of the outputjack. if it continues to stay loose your nut may already be stripped (giggity).
Quote by DimebagZappa
Bolded: what?

Heres how mine is.
Inside plastic plate- jack, locking washer
Plastic plate
Outside plate- normal washer, nut.

Well tightened it holds great.

Bolded: I don't deem this issue important enough to have to pay someone to fix it for me.

Quote by Jacob<3Guitar
You don't need to take all the stuff out the back. Just remove both screws on the jack plate, pull it all out and then just tighten the screw, putting it all back as was.

Quote by IMtBike
My PRS SE Santana gets a loose jack sometimes, but I never had a problem with nut tightening making the plug not fit. Maybe you should try tightening the nut while being plugged in, so you dial it down to the right size.

Thanks guys, I'll try that.
Your response makes no sense either. I bolded more text then you did in your initial question.
Its not a big deal, or worth paying for. But you say you tighten a nut and you cannot fit the jack in the plug anymore? Elaborate.
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Oct 2, 2011,
yeah I'm pretty much stumped. either your guitar has some really garbage hardware or you really don't know what you're talking about.
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
Quote by DimebagZappa
Your response makes no sense either. I bolded more text then you did in your initial question.
Its not a big deal, or worth paying for. But you say you tighten a nut and you cannot fit the jack in the plug anymore? Elaborate.

In the picture of the guitar, I circled the input jack. It's just like the one mine has. The nut-like ring surround the jack was loose and whenever I plugged a cable into it it felt really shaky. I tightened the nut-like ring around the input jack's hole. I ended up fixing the problem of it being loose but because of that I couldn't fit a cable into my guitar. So now I had to loosen it back to where I started off at in order to plug it into a cable. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote by CJ Noble
yeah I'm pretty much stumped. either your guitar has some really garbage hardware or you really don't know what you're talking about.

I have a starter guitar, so the hardware on it sucks.
Quote by DimebagZappa
Is the jack (guitar end) split down the barrel so it tightens the diameter as you tighten the nut?

Yes.
Wow. That really is cheap. I have a stereo jack in mine
As already said leave the jack in and tighten it. Although a new jack is pretty cheap.

probably like said,

remove the jack hold inside and outside before tightening the nut.

or you will spin the inside and rip off the 2 wires connected to the jack.

before tightening, you might want to add a locking washer under that nut.

or add clean nail varnish to the threads on the jack to lock it on there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I unscrewed the input jack from the outside and examined it and everything on the inside of the guitar seems to be fine. It's just that damn nut. I tightened it a bit so that I have to use a bit of force to get a cable in there, but I'm sure that it'll loosen up in a few days time, especially if I'm plugging in/out a lot. I think it's my guitar since it's a budget one that was cost under $200.
I plan on upgrading to an even better guitar once I save up enough money since I already have a bit, but I have to wait to see if I can get a part time job first.
Quote by xShade
I plan on upgrading to an even better guitar once I save up enough money since I already have a bit, but I have to wait to see if I can get a part time job first.

ok well if the cable is good and isnt fitting into the jack correctly,
or if the threads are crossed and the nut no longer moves correctly along the jack,
you might want to just swap out the jack.

you can fit them at radio shack type stores for a few dollars,
along with a soldering iron.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
ok well if the cable is good and isnt fitting into the jack correctly,
or if the threads are crossed and the nut no longer moves correctly along the jack,
you might want to just swap out the jack.

you can fit them at radio shack type stores for a few dollars,
along with a soldering iron.

Thanks. The cable and threads seem to be fine, but I'll check them again later on just to make sure.