I plan to build my own speaker cable. This is my rig.n 52 fender telecaster hot rod edition to isp decimator(will be getting soon) to madison divinity head 120 watt to 4x12 mesa cab.

Will the gepco 1600HS be good? Should i use 14 gauge instead? What connectors should i use with this. Ive read so many different opinions does it make a huge difference?

I also plan to build an instrument cable in the near future. What connectors should i use with the mogami 2524 cable?

Any help GREATLY appreciated!
I use mains power extension cables for my speaker cables and have for decades. Cheapest source of good quality twisted pair - you just cut off the third wire.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
if i was going to buy after market plugs, i would get nutrik or amphenol.

just make sure for speaker you get twisted pair (thicker guage the better) and for instrument you get well insulated twisted wire.

I recently did a lot of research on cables and found there are many viewpoints. I concluded that the best way to go is the thickest core possible made of the thinnest wrapped wires available.

i did used to think solid core is best but i guess it kinks and breaks easier than small twisted wires.
Honestly... for the price of decent connectors and cable, youd spend roughly the same amount as a decent speaker cable anyway.
Quote by ikey_
if i was going to buy after market plugs, i would get nutrik or amphenol.

just make sure for speaker you get twisted pair (thicker guage the better) and for instrument you get well insulated twisted wire.

I recently did a lot of research on cables and found there are many viewpoints. I concluded that the best way to go is the thickest core possible made of the thinnest wrapped wires available.

i did used to think solid core is best but i guess it kinks and breaks easier than small twisted wires.

Mains cables are a great compromise. Nice and heavy but still flexible. The same thing that makes them good as extension cables makes them good for speaker cables. I use them for PA speaker cables too. Just solder a half decent plug on the end and you're set to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
hey that website has some nice prices for some.

check out monoprice as well.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Digideus
Honestly... for the price of decent connectors and cable, youd spend roughly the same amount as a decent speaker cable anyway.

Really? From what ive seen a good 20' speaker cable runs around 35 or 40 bucks. Buying your own would be about 10 bucks for the cable, roughly 5 bucks each for the plugs. That would save 15 to 20 bucks a cable and since im making a few for my friends that will add up quick. Also ill know that the cable is of good quality and know exactly what its made of. Seems like name brand cables dont realy disclose the specifics.

Im not at all trying to be rude and i could be wrong (I have been wrong a few times before). But if i am wrong please correct me. Im trying to learn. This will also be a good project for me.

Cathbard-- Again I may be wrong but it just seems like that wouldnt be as good of quality??
Quote by lumberjack22
Really? From what ive seen a good 20' speaker cable runs around 35 or 40 bucks. Buying your own would be about 10 bucks for the cable, roughly 5 bucks each for the plugs. That would save 15 to 20 bucks a cable and since im making a few for my friends that will add up quick. Also ill know that the cable is of good quality and know exactly what its made of. Seems like name brand cables dont realy disclose the specifics.

Im not at all trying to be rude and i could be wrong (I have been wrong a few times before). But if i am wrong please correct me. Im trying to learn. This will also be a good project for me.

Cathbard-- Again I may be wrong but it just seems like that wouldnt be as good of quality??

I have 2 hand made Austin Vintage Guitars speaker cables, 4 foot long, and they are literally 2 12 AWG PVC insulated cables, with fiberglass insulation, wrapped in rubber, and soldered to a good sturdy jack end. There's not much to a speaker cable. Heck, you can use an instrument cable as a speaker cable, it's still a power and ground connection, except the ground part is the shielding and it'll burn that up real quick.
Quote by lumberjack22

no you're fine. is this for home or stage use?

for home use that double wrapped cable is over kill a little.

i just use this stuff if i need to make longer cables

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=2749&seq=1&format=2

thicker stuff is fine but it's a pain in the ass to fit into the plugs.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by lumberjack22

The crappiest extension cable can handle 10 amp so it has to pretty decent quality. If it can cope with that sort of current what's audio? There's nothing wrong with extension cables. Like I said, I've been using them for decades. They last forever. It's the cheapest source of quality wire, somebody always has a sale on extension chords.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification