Hey everybody. A while back, I probably started more than a few threads about suggestions/cool ideas on how to set up a college dorm room. Didn't really get anywhere. So I started planning...for about half a year. Well, i figured you guys might like to see what I came up with. The sound is great! The quality is great! Surprisingly, these rooms don't affect the sound too much. Still need a few more additions. I want to make a horizontal guitar stand (rack?) with pvc pipe to hold my electric, bass, and acoustic (stuck at home until next week), and i'm also waiting for a large order of music posters to put around the room. Heres some pics:

The fridge is under the keyboard, above/behind the keyboard is a ps2/contollers/audio interface, then above that is my laptop and 2 krk's, then an external monitor/tv, then above that is an ipod dock, movies, video games, headphones. and the tv is mounted so it can go up or down dramatically so that i can lay in the bunk bed and watch it or sit on our couch or chair and watch it
Last edited by 4seampowerchord at Oct 2, 2011,
Do you get any noise from the compressor of the fridge on recordings?
Quote by Quintex
Do you get any noise from the compressor of the fridge on recordings?

nope! the fridge is always completely quiet! After you open and close it it'll hum a little but it goes away in a few minutes.
Quote by 4seampowerchord
nope! the fridge is always completely quiet! After you open and close it it'll hum a little but it goes away in a few minutes.

Think he means from being plugged into the same power outlet - fridges and many other household appliances are noisy as fcuk, in electrical terms.

Anyway, looks neat and tidy - wish mine could stay that neat!

But two big problems I see with it, which would help you further:

1) Boxed into a corner = build-up of low end frequencies = uneven bass response... which basically makes it hard for you to accurately judge the low end balance, and means you may well end up struggling to notice real resonant frequencies in the bass that you need to tame with a compressor.

2) Speakers appear to be a little too close together, unless you're sitting very close to the screen to mix, and the tweeters don't look like they're at ear/eye height from your sitting position, which is where you want them ideally. Also, they aren't angled to create an isoceles triangle with your sitting position, which could make it difficult to judge your stereo spread in combination with them being close together.

Just my suggestions on further improvements anyway - looks nice though, and if you keep it that neat for your whole first semester, let alone the year, you deserve a medal!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Think he means from being plugged into the same power outlet - fridges and many other household appliances are noisy as fcuk, in electrical terms.

Anyway, looks neat and tidy - wish mine could stay that neat!

But two big problems I see with it, which would help you further:

1) Boxed into a corner = build-up of low end frequencies = uneven bass response... which basically makes it hard for you to accurately judge the low end balance, and means you may well end up struggling to notice real resonant frequencies in the bass that you need to tame with a compressor.

2) Speakers appear to be a little too close together, unless you're sitting very close to the screen to mix, and the tweeters don't look like they're at ear/eye height from your sitting position, which is where you want them ideally. Also, they aren't angled to create an isoceles triangle with your sitting position, which could make it difficult to judge your stereo spread in combination with them being close together.

Just my suggestions on further improvements anyway - looks nice though, and if you keep it that neat for your whole first semester, let alone the year, you deserve a medal!

oh my bad haha. yea i understand what you mean. I haven't gotten any sound from it yet though! But we'll see if i do. I havent been here that long. And good suggestions! I understand why both could be problems, but its just so hard in a dorm room. Its a 16x12 room i believe and its very hard to fit a bunk bed, two desks, two dressors, a couch, and this thing without blocking closet doors or windows and with being by outlets (extension cords are frowned upon here). So it was pretty much the only option. I understand that its not ideal, but it will have to manage :/ . and as for the speakers being too close together, if they were farther apart we would have to make the entire unit wider..which would be very difficult. But I am sitting very close when i am mixing and the tweeters are slightly above ear level when I am sitting in the chair. I know its not the best, but its what i have to deal with to fit this all into a unit.
Quote by 4seampowerchord
oh my bad haha. yea i understand what you mean. I haven't gotten any sound from it yet though! But we'll see if i do. I havent been here that long. And good suggestions! I understand why both could be problems, but its just so hard in a dorm room. Its a 16x12 room i believe and its very hard to fit a bunk bed, two desks, two dressors, a couch, and this thing without blocking closet doors or windows and with being by outlets (extension cords are frowned upon here). So it was pretty much the only option. I understand that its not ideal, but it will have to manage :/ . and as for the speakers being too close together, if they were farther apart we would have to make the entire unit wider..which would be very difficult. But I am sitting very close when i am mixing and the tweeters are slightly above ear level when I am sitting in the chair. I know its not the best, but its what i have to deal with to fit this all into a unit.

No worries really then, I mean I had similar issues in my first year of uni but it's certainly not bad.

I think if you're willing to spend a little cash you could easily solve the monitors problem though - if you buy some monitor stands, you appear to have space either side of your desk-thingymabob to place the speakers just 8-12" further to each side, and then angle them in approx. 25-30 degrees (maybe more, hard to tell from pics the exact distances you'd be dealing with) and you can angle them down if needs be by putting a few beermats/coasters under the back edge of each speaker.

Final word of advice - unless you're too used to it now, get a mouse for the laptop. I'd hate to perform edits on a laptop trackpad lol. I used to use photoshop on a laptop and I was forever frustrated by dragging my finger just over the boundaries of the trackpad's main area, then having the cursor dart miles across the screen and ruin what I'd just done, forcing me to undo and then re-draw everything!

Edit: I have just spotted a problem elsewhere though - I presume you'd move it into centre of the room to record with, but as it currently stands your mics stand has the central pole in contact with the floor. That's a big no-no for recording, especially vocals, as you will pick up a lot more floor-borne vibrations both from other instruments (if playing) or from movement (people) as well as outside the room (low end travels through floors and walls quite happily, vibrating as it goes along, as do heavy footsteps and we all know drunken students move like elephants ).
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
No worries really then, I mean I had similar issues in my first year of uni but it's certainly not bad.

I think if you're willing to spend a little cash you could easily solve the monitors problem though - if you buy some monitor stands, you appear to have space either side of your desk-thingymabob to place the speakers just 8-12" further to each side, and then angle them in approx. 25-30 degrees (maybe more, hard to tell from pics the exact distances you'd be dealing with) and you can angle them down if needs be by putting a few beermats/coasters under the back edge of each speaker.

Final word of advice - unless you're too used to it now, get a mouse for the laptop. I'd hate to perform edits on a laptop trackpad lol. I used to use photoshop on a laptop and I was forever frustrated by dragging my finger just over the boundaries of the trackpad's main area, then having the cursor dart miles across the screen and ruin what I'd just done, forcing me to undo and then re-draw everything!

Edit: I have just spotted a problem elsewhere though - I presume you'd move it into centre of the room to record with, but as it currently stands your mics stand has the central pole in contact with the floor. That's a big no-no for recording, especially vocals, as you will pick up a lot more floor-borne vibrations both from other instruments (if playing) or from movement (people) as well as outside the room (low end travels through floors and walls quite happily, vibrating as it goes along, as do heavy footsteps and we all know drunken students move like elephants ).

Good points! I may start looking into monitor stands depending on ..cash haha. I do actually have a wireless mouse! i've just been kinda lazy and haven't opened it yet...i should get to that. cuz yes doing edits on the finger pad kinda sucks (although i have gotten pretty used to it). i'll try to open up the mouse this week.

GREAT CATCH! on the central pole. I moved the mic stand there today, and the legs didn't fit so I had to rest the stand with them not all the way out. Then in an effort to lower the mic to normal height I cheated and just moved the central pole down. I would have never thought about that. That was a very nice catch. Good eye!
Shit, I wish I had that setup when I was in the dorms! Kudos!
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
looks good man. Don't track vox in that corner, please. Some bass traps would be ideal, and make sure you monitor around 70-80dB to avoid fletcher-munson effects, especially when mixing!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by s31770
Looks fine on my IPS panel 2560x1440, maybe you need a new monitor/PC???

Maybe you should stick to trolling The Pit and leave the intelligent talk to people with more braincells than a typical garden lettuce?

Bragging about equipment you own is pathetic, especially when it's just a computer monitor...
To get this thread back on track...I'd love to hear some projects you've been working on with your setup! How's it treating you, btw?
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
looks good man. Don't track vox in that corner, please. Some bass traps would be ideal, and make sure you monitor around 70-80dB to avoid fletcher-munson effects, especially when mixing!

haha i wouldn't do that. its just a place to keep it. Could you explain fletcher munson effects? I have not heard of them! I should also look into bass traps...another area where i'm clueless.
Quote by fastlanestoner
To get this thread back on track...I'd love to hear some projects you've been working on with your setup! How's it treating you, btw?

It's been treating me great! I just put a song on my profile that I tracked with a kid in the room. took 2 hours. i am not on it though. The playing and singing were both my friend. I was just recording. Let me know what you think! Again, i'm no expert at this stuff, i just do it for fun. let me know if there are any improvements I can make!
Fletch munson, basically says at different volumes your ear reacts differently to the frequency spectrum. So at low levels it's more attuned to the 1 to 4 k range (human speech). So combat this during mixing you should monitor at between 70 and 80 db.

This is also the recommended prolonged listening level for mixing as 8 hrs of 70 to 80db will minimizing long term hearing damage.

Bit more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Did a good job on the recording man.
Quote by Wild Hopkins
Fletch munson, basically says at different volumes your ear reacts differently to the frequency spectrum. So at low levels it's more attuned to the 1 to 4 k range (human speech). So combat this during mixing you should monitor at between 70 and 80 db.

This is also the recommended prolonged listening level for mixing as 8 hrs of 70 to 80db will minimizing long term hearing damage.

Bit more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

Did a good job on the recording man.

Thanks for the advice! I had never heard about that before! and thank you very much