Hi Guys and Gals!

This is my first post although I have been dropping in on the site for many years to get my guitar tabs and chords fix.

I have been playing the guitar for around ...... a long time. I haven't been able to buy expensive guitars, the acoustic i have been using for around 5 years now was a budget one from Argos cost around £50, the strings are so high I could probably fit a sandwich under them to eat after I finished playing.

The problem is I can hear my self getting better but no matter how well i play the songs something just doesn't seem right it sounds off all the time.

Am I just making excuses up for my lack of ability or is the guitar the reason I have hit a level I cant surpass.
Both excuses and guitar. Sometimes guitars can really mess with you. I had a Fender Squire strat. Sounded decent but the strings were too high up. It was virtually impossible to make a barred G chord. And maybe your tuning is off if it doesn't sound right? You need an upgrade on guitar. Especially if youve been playing for 5 years.
Are there brands i should avoid or is there a pricing rule? if that makes sense
I play mostly rhythm on Acoustic, as for price range if I know a certain brand of guitar will eliminate the possible problems on the guitar side of things I will save enough for it. at least then I know it will be me at fault.
Also as it just occured to me to ask, I am Left handed in everything I do, I write, throw, catch etc. I learned right handed guitar. should i switch to a lefty? will progress better if I do?
Avoid doubleposting. Use the edit button.

There's no real 'brand' that eliminates problems. Just get somthing that plays nicely, like the look of and sounds right for what you're going to use it for.

Though i have to agree with the Stagg comment. My first guitar was a Stagg Flying V copy. The neck was badly twisted and the pickups wern't wax shielded properly, so any amount of gain would make the guitar squeal horribly. It was a complete dog.
The case was nicer than the guitar was.

As for your other questions, is it possible to lower the guitar's action? Take it to a guitar tech and see what they can do with it.
In my opinion, i would try to learn guitar right-handed as there's very few lefty's out there. If you learn lefty, you're severely limiting yourself as to what guitars you can buy.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 2, 2011,
Have you thought of getting your action lowered on your guitar? It shouldn't be an expensive thing to have done, and If you are pushing the string down too far its not going to be in tune.

Also, I wouldn't switch to lefty if I were you, but that's just me.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
lozhazie I have the same guitar. I had a cheap electric, which was easy then went to the one you did. It was very hard, even to barre chord. The action is very high. I sanded the saddle a bit which helped. I was frustrated like you but it was a blessing disguise. My friend with some great guitars took the piss out me for being cheap. Thing is I adapted and my hands got really strong. I could then play lead pretty good on it too. By the time I saved up for a decnt guitar I had great hand strength. My friend still has aching hands with large necks. I use an electric with a thick neck now and some people say it's hard work but that cheapo acoustic toughened my hands no problem. Just see that guitar as training and slowly save!
I don't see finger strength being a good thing nessesarily.

Playing guitar is not about brute force and more about finesse and articulation, especially if you're a lead guitar player.

If you need to force somthing on the guitar, you're doing it wrong. Being used to fretting on a guitar with high action can cause bad habits to develop, such as fretting too hard which causes the guitar to go out of tune and it accelerates fret wear.

Techinque, not strength is what makes good guitarists.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't see finger strength being a good thing nessesarily.

Playing guitar is not about brute force and more about finesse and articulation, especially if you're a lead guitar player.

If you need to force somthing on the guitar, you're doing it wrong. Being used to fretting on a guitar with high action can cause bad habits to develop, such as fretting too hard which causes the guitar to go out of tune and it accelerates fret wear.

Techinque, not strength is what makes good guitarists.

All the technique in the world won't do you any good if you can only play for 20 seconds. Not to mention most people probably wouldn't have strong enough thumbs to barre just one time (at first) without getting that strength up. I know I couldn't.
To the lefty: Do whatever feels right. I've been playing an upside-down righty for close to 2 years and to be unhumble, I'm doing better than most of the other guitarists in my ensemble.
I play my guitar like I live life; upside-down.

Gear:
Sender Fratocaster
LTD Phoenix-200
Fender Sonoran
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fender Mustang V 412
Quote by supersac
everyone eventually outgrows their first guitar if youve been playing 5 year i say you should get your elf a new guitar

your elf

Thought I'd just point that out.

Yeah, get a new guitar, 5 years on the same guitar with a bad set up should dictate the need for a new one.
Quote by RicketyCricket
All the technique in the world won't do you any good if you can only play for 20 seconds. Not to mention most people probably wouldn't have strong enough thumbs to barre just one time (at first) without getting that strength up. I know I couldn't.

All the strength in the world won't help you if you can't shape a power chord
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
if you havent got a new guitar in 5 years, and you dont like the current one , playing guitar is obviously not that important to you.
you have a bargain basement guitar from a supermarket so barring a miracle is gonna be terrible. Go to a guitar shop and play a bunch and see if you can make them sound better than what you have. Chances are you can get a decent Yamaha/Fender/Ibanez or even an Epiphone for about £150. I would start again left handed unless your really struggling cause your basically putting yourself back 5 years
Id recommend epiphone or fender in both acoustic and electric models, best guitars you.can get without breaking the bank. Plus its so easy to make adjustments to them if you're a do it yourself kinda person. But as previous post said, go to your local guitar shop and fiddle with some guitars.
Save up and buy a guitar you REALLY want that way you can focus on getting better. when you get the equipment syndrome outta the way you can focus on whats important
Thanks for all the replies, I have decided that I'm going to save for a new guitar, ill have a look at what the local store has to offer and play a few. in the mean time ill persist with the cheap one I have i might even have a go at lowering the action myself, the worst case scenario is I ruin it and make it unplayable...er but it will make a nice decoration. As ethan_hanus pointed out my Elf is more of a Keyboard player so he can save up for that himself XD. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
All the strength in the world won't help you if you can't shape a power chord

I think we all missunderstand the word strenght, it should be replaced with stamina.