Our first practice is two weeks from now. I was wondering what songs we should learn. We will play some Foo Fighters, Green Day, Blink 182, that genre. I've told them to learn Everlong, The Pretender, and Learn to Fly. I don't want to have everyone learn so many songs in just two weeks. So does anyone have any suggestions for us to learn?
The Pretender doesn't seem like a good song to cover, there's a lot more to it than you probably expect :p. You might wanna stray away from Foo songs, however if you don't, do some lesser known ones. Check out The Colour And The Shape album. Nirvana are always a great band to cover, me and my band tend to play through Nevermind when we get bored in practices!
Stockholm Syndrome (the Blink one, you could learn the Muse one too if you want),
Minority,
Holiday (everyone knows that song),
Dammit,
I also reccomend In Too Deep and Fat Lip by Sum 41

All fairly simple and popular songs, hope this helps!
Not really sure what you are asking, but three songs is plenty for a first practice. You are going to need to run through each song a bunch of times the first time. If the first practice goes well have another song ready for the next one. I'm a firm believer that a band should constantly be picking up new songs. It keeps the material fresh, forces people to practice outside of the organized practice, and lets your band have the ability to have very varied setlists.
Number one rule: Keep it simple. Avoid lots of neat little riffs, stick to power chords. It's not nearly as fun, but you wanna keep it simple until you are all are a little more in tune with how you all play
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Gyoung1991
Not really sure what you are asking, but three songs is plenty for a first practice. You are going to need to run through each song a bunch of times the first time. If the first practice goes well have another song ready for the next one. I'm a firm believer that a band should constantly be picking up new songs. It keeps the material fresh, forces people to practice outside of the organized practice, and lets your band have the ability to have very varied setlists.

I'm on the same page here. Although as time goes on and everyone becomes more skillful, it shouldn't be outside of your thinking to be able to do 6 - 10 songs in a practice, as long as everyone does their homework beforehand.

Otherwise TS, it may be a good idea to set down a schedule. When forming cover bands my schedule looks something like this:

Week starting oct 2

song 1
song 2
song 3
song 4
song 5
song 6

Week starting oct 9

song 7
song 8
song 9
song 10
song 11
song 12

Week starting.....etc

It's usually organised 3 weeks in advance. This is based on the idea that you have 1 x 2 hour practice/week, or 2 x 1 hr practice a week. It also relies upon the band members learning the songs and getting their parts down before practice and having the ability to quickly change the key/speed up/slow down/improvise parts if the singer needs to change key or the song needs to be modified quickly.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud