Hey guys, im here with a few questions about Dean Acoustic Electric guitars.

I have not played one in my life. Whenever im at the stores, they are always at the wayyyyyy top of the wall.

So what are your opinions and takes of Dean acoustic electrics and these ones I am looking into now?

(Both priced at $400.) Also, which one would you buy if you had to pick? (All black one comes in natural satin, but no picture there for it, but some on the internet)

I like the look on this one. Looks a bit older, vintaged, beat up, and just like a classic 'country' acoustic.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Exotica-Flame-Maple-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-476297-i1468949.gc

And this one looks cool and sharp. Very nice in black with the white fingerboard markings and head designs. The satin natural looks nice but not as good as the black, but black shows alot of finger prints. Also this is a 'thin body'
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Exhibition-thin-Body-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-w-Aphex-H73794-i1891005.gc

Also, if you would like to recommend some other acoustic electric guitars. Please do so. I am looking to get one for the up-coming Christmas and before you know it. That day will be here soon.

So thank you for your time!
Well first, you should read this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1483152 I let Patticake talk me out of the new Bubinga wood model. This on two fronts, I probably didn't need another $400.00 plus dollars on my credit card, and she's a purist where acoustic guitars are involved.

That out of the way, I'd personally like to try the maple Dean you have linked, but I play left handed. So it would have to be either the bubinga or the ash model, or nothing.

I doubt if the thin body you have linked would sound terribly good unplugged. This because preventing feedback involves reducing the volume of the instrument, and likely stiffer sound board bracing. Ibanez offers the AEF18LENT with these features, and that sounded thin unplugged at the music store. http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-AEF18LENT

None of this is a problem if you're always playing plugged in, and it should be a fair amount easier to play the thinner body standing up. (Your results may vary).

Ibanez offers a competing line of "Exotic Wood" guitars: http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/SeriesIntro-EW_Intro They include a thinner body series, and also a couple of classical models. I have the ash full body model: http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/model-EW20LASENT It's pretty bright and twangy with new strings, and I sort of think of it as an "acoustic telecaster".

In any event, Ibanez exotic wood guitars have chorus in the preamps, whereas Dean has the "Aphex Aural Exciter". I guess you'd need to do a bit of soul searching to determine which you think would be of more use to you.

A point of Aphex trivia is, Linda Ronstadt's "Simple Dreams" album, was produced using the Aphex system. (I'm sure there are many others, that just sprang to mind).

In any event, I doubt whether Dean or Ibanez has a clear cut advantage regarding this type of instrument. They compete head to head at about the same price point.

Ibanez seems to sell more acoustic electric guitars than does Dean, so it tends to be easier to find reviews.

Something you may be already aware of, is that zZounds: http://www.zzounds.com/ and also Musician's Friend: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ are top notch suppliers, worth a look for your order
I've had two of the Exotica Deans and they were very good guitars. Even with the flamed maple top, they sounded good unplugged. My lead player talked me out of my last one so I will buy another. I am currently playing the Dean V-Wing acoustic and love that one too.
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
i'm not a purist - i just like good tone. i've owned acoustics with laminate backs and sides that i loved - in fact, my next guitar will be a recording king solid top with lam b&s - and there are even all lam acoustic electrics i think are pretty good.

that being said, i've never played a dean that wasn't muffled and quiet, and i try EVERY guitar when i go to guitar stores. i also play them to other people and have them pick from a number of guitars based on tone, and dean tends to come in last.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by patticake
, i've never played a dean that wasn't muffled and quiet, and i try EVERY guitar when i go to guitar stores. i also play them to other people and have them pick from a number of guitars based on tone, and dean tends to come in last.
Expanding on that thought, how do you feel the Ibanez Exotic Wood line fares against the Dean? That should be a fair apples to apples appraisal, since no doubt there's quite a bit of laminate in both makers guitars.

For me I like the headstock and cutaway style of the Ibanez' a bit better, but I have the huge choice of one model. (Which I have and seem to enjoy).

I do think the cutaways, preamp boxes, polyurethane, and laminate all contribute to reducing a guitar's output a bit. All things being equal, maybe Dean just puts too much damned paint on them... The reason I mention this is I've seen comments on Ibanez EW guitars to the effect of, "it's not as loud as you might expect, in light of the Jumbo body". (loosely quoted).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 3, 2011,
i don't care for either, but the ibanez is louder and a little clearer than the dean. in fact, i recently did an a/b/c of an ibanez exotic wood, a dean exotica and a yamaha fx335. i played them to my husband, another customer and the sales guy and they all chose the yamaha as the best - the other two looked flashy, but neither were close when it came to unplugged tone.

i don't think it's paint - i think it's the kind of lamination used in the wood, but that's just speculation. the fuzziness doesn't sound like the guitars are being strangled by too-thick finish, which i've heard in other guitars - more like a natural lack of clarity.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Myself have not played dean acoustic guitars
so really can't say much on the actual guitar but from what I understand they have a new model thats $400 in musicians friends which is solid top the 12-gauge i think for the price that might be better if you're ok with its shape.
and Yamaha is always a favorite here which is well because they are pretty good its just our local distributor just overprices the damn things
and Patticake's advice is always helpful and more often than not she is right
OK, let's see what we've learned.......

It's understandable the the Yamaha 335 would have the "best" tone unplugged.
This because, it doesn't have a cutaway, and it's constructed of traditional materials. The full body would add richness and volume, and a spruce soundboard would give a traditional or perhaps an expected tonality.

The "exotic wood" guitars from Ibanez and Dean do, to one extent or another, fall into the, "trash with flash", category.

Regardless of the fact that the exotic woods involved are veneers, each one seems to impart a unique tonal quality to the sound. The most commonly found in other guitars being ash and maple. Both these woods are bright sounding with a good bottom end. (I think the laminate sides of the Ibanez Ash model are ash through and through, not veener over some other wood. Maple is used in high end Gibson Jumbos, and the notorious ES 335. Guild used to make some kick ass maple 12 strings.

My Ibanez Exotic Wood Ash model, is quite bright. and has a growling bottom end with moderate to good sustain. I can't speak to the maple issue. With new strings, this guitar will punish you if you miss fret a note. It tends to give off the expected buzz, but with brilliant metallic overtones. Still in all, I very much enjoy the sound of this guitar, and play it quite a bit.

Neither the Dean or Ibanez Models would lean to the "acoustic" side of "acoustic electric" but rather to the "electric".

I use my Ibanez quite often with tiny Peavey "Vyper" modeling amp. I just dial up a different amp model depending on the relative condition of the strings at the time, (or perhaps mood ), while the tone controls on the guitar's preamp are pretty much and set and forget.

With all of this said, if you've got your heart set on one of these exotic wood guitars, I'd recommend the Ibanez ash or maple models above the Dean. If only for the fact that there are more reviews available on the Ibanez', and most of them are positive

Whether or not it's simple predjudice, I don't know, but Dean guitars give me the impression they're more styling than substance, and that's across the entire line.

Everybody feel free to jump in! Further comments or rebuttal are welcome!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 3, 2011,