Page 1 of 2
Please help me.

I love Froosh's tone from his Jubilee/ whatever else he uses and love the aggressive Marshall drive. I have considered the JCM 800 and Vintage modern.

I also love the tone from Fender amps. I again like the drive because you can get that spacey reverby sorta sound going which sounds great.

Check out this solo right at the end and you'll know what I mean...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7q9uiFbnzk

I use a fender strat. I also like the tone hendrix (suprise suprise) gets but I THINK I'm after more of a dirty sound?

My band have recently gone into the studio and our new E.P. (well, clips of it) can be found at www.staceyandthefreeloaders.co.uk if you go onto the music bit. Check out the latest E.P.
This isn't for promoting my band by the way...Also, that was recorded with an Orange Rocker 30 combo that I sold a few days after.

I'm prepared to spend around £500ish used on an amp.

What about Jet City amps? I can get them cheap atm and thought perhaps? But I've never tried one.

So please, fill in the missing gear I want.

In the UK too.

Thanks, Luke.
You're in the UK so take a look at some Laneys.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah man I have a laney AOR which is pretty awesome. Its meant to be the poor mans JCM 800...but I find it a bit too trebly.

Can you get decent drive out of Fender amps? Is it the way I want to go? I have no idea...

I'm not asking for anyone to decide for me, just guide me.

Also, I have the matching 2x12 cab for my laney but its a bitch to carry up and down my stairs at home as I'm up the top floor...So what about Jet City cabs? Just a 1x12...anygood for £100?

Thanks, Luke.
Yep definately the tubes. The powertubes look old and shit. International electronics the make is hahaha.

Also, the pre amp tubes are sovtek, marshall, JJ and an un-named one.

The pre amp tubes are 12AX7s yar?

I think I might replace all the tubes.

What you think? Thanks
Thanks I shall do that...Yeah I'd rather not buy another amp tbh! Guitar is on the cards :P

I haven't tried anything else with the amp. I'm thinking JJs but should I just get them for the pre amp and then something else for powertubes? Or JJ powertubes and mix and match pre amp tubes?
Quote by moominman2
Thanks I shall do that...Yeah I'd rather not buy another amp tbh! Guitar is on the cards :P

I haven't tried anything else with the amp. I'm thinking JJs but should I just get them for the pre amp and then something else for powertubes? Or JJ powertubes and mix and match pre amp tubes?

Apparently (i'm just regurgitating info here, i've never bought valves before), the AOR is very sensitive to changes in preamp valves, and that's where you want to put JJs. May as well get JJ power valves also, as they're supposed to be quite dark and should negate the treblyness.

try asking here
http://www.laney-posse.co.uk/theposse/index.php
Thanks buddy.

I'm about to get 4 JJ ecc83s and 2 JJ EL34s but I cannot decide on the EL34 or the E34L JJs.

The E34Ls are suppose to ass more bass and control the highs more? But there is enough bass already but the highs are too harsh for me...I never turn the treble past like...1
Could be

If you want another JCM800 style thing, look out for the Laney GH50

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks guys I'll check it all out.

I want to re-tube my AOR, but 70quid is a lot for an amp that cost me £150!

I was thinking of getting a Jet City 1x12 for smaller gigs too and perhaps the 20w head.

I can get them both for £270 new

What you rekon?
I dont think you should buy anything until you know what you want.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thats the thing...I want to re-tube my amp but don't know if its worth it. Its mighty trebly.

I want a 1x12 cab as its ruining my back carrying my 2x12 up and down my stairs.

I'm also planning on buying a new guitar as I only have 1 electric and got that like 5 years ago.

I am also thinking of getting the 20w jet city head as they're going cheap atm, and could be nice to have for small gigs or bedroom playing.

I have around £470 so could retube for £70, get jet city cab for £100 and a used guitar for around £300 perhaps...

But all I'm saying is i'm not sure I want to spend £70 on tubes unless I know it'll radically improve my tone
Quote by Tom 1.0
I dont think you should buy anything until you know what you want.

1000 times this.

I'll be revalving my AOR soon for sure (as it actually needs it), so I'll let you know how it goes. Another thing - I've found a lot of the harshness on my AOR is due to the mid knob being too high, rather than the treble. My favourite EQ setting on mine for distorted sounds is actually to have bass mids and treble all on 0, then presence adjusted to taste, as stupid as this may sound. Have you tried this?
Yeah I totally agree. The powertubes are some cheap chinese make though so its very likely replacing them will improve everything drastically.

My next gig is on the 4th November so a bit of a wait but I really want to replace everything for then.

Thanks for that tip...I'll have a go tomorrow with that

EDIT: Do you also think spending 100quid on a Jet City 1x12 is worth it? I need something smaller as my 19year old back is already breaking!
Last edited by moominman2 at Oct 3, 2011,
No.

Man up.

I would retube your Laney with some nice JJs, which will be slightly darker, gig it and see how you find it.

Do not buy a 112 if you already have a 212.

Save your money and wait until you find the amp you really really want.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Hahaha...best response.

Thanks, you saved me 100quid with those words of mockery.

I'm going to buy 2 JJs for the powertubes and a mix of pre amp tubes MAYBE. Haven't decided yet...

Perhaps if a lefty Jaguar or something comes up, I shall get that too.

Thanks...Anymore advice on mixing the pre amp tubes would be awesome.

EDIT: My cab is a 2x12 Laney AOR cab (apparently) with Celestion G12-35s
Last edited by moominman2 at Oct 3, 2011,
Well, I don't know much about the G12-35, but looking at pictures of one, the magnet seems awfully small. Just a guess, but chances are this is a pretty budget-oriented speaker, to put it mildly. Plus, Laney has always had a habbit of choosing poor speakers for their cabs.

Have you had a chance to play your AOR through other cabs with different speakers?
I checked out the EP. I think that was pretty good stuff (also quality wise!)

How long have you guys been a band?
From your description of what you want you already have the right amp and you want JJ's throughout. JJ 12AX7's (ECC83S) are very mid heavy which is exactly what you want. Don't screw around, just put those in every position. You'll think you just bought yourself a new amp.
Laney cabs are normally quite good but the speakers themselves are usually sub par (except for the new ones that have V30's in them). I'd stick greenbacks in what you have but just replace the valves first, after putting up with worn out valves for so long you'll probably be happy with it anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
From your description of what you want you already have the right amp and you want JJ's throughout. JJ 12AX7's (ECC83S) are very mid heavy which is exactly what you want. Don't screw around, just put those in every position. You'll think you just bought yourself a new amp.
Laney cabs are normally quite good but the speakers themselves are usually sub par (except for the new ones that have V30's in them). I'd stick greenbacks in what you have but just replace the valves first, after putting up with worn out valves for so long you'll probably be happy with it anyway.

Just did this with my Mesa. I'd like to get a full set for my Laney next!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I have the Jet City JCA2112RC 20W combo, it's great. Perfect for slight drive/crunch tones, and I just use an overdrive for solos. It's very loud, I play in a band with another guitarist/vocalist, bassist, and drummer and I can hear myself just fine. I have one of those amp stands to project the sound even more too.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Awesome thanks folks yes my cab only cost me 26pounds off ebay hahaha. Greenbacks sound like a great idea so I'd definitely consider them.

So jjs throughout hmm ok I'll trust ya guys on this

I can get a cab for 125pound with 2 vintage 30s but I've heard they're quite trebly so I will just get greenbacks haha

Thanks for all the help. If there's anything else I need to know, let me hear it

Thanks!! Luke
Also FC89 thank you!

We have been playing together about 2 years now. A couple have gone to uni but are staying together hopefully. Its good fun

We spent all our band fund over the 2 years on 3 tracks haha oops
vintage modern and jcm 800 is absolutely the right direction. if your ok with a single channel amp
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
If you honestly don't know what amp you want, try this: Line up five of the best amplifiers in your price range and say "One potato, two potato, three potato four..."

At least you'll pick a winner.

Seriously, I think the Marshall VM (particularly the 50-watt model) might be the amplifier for you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I almost bought a vm actually! I think I need to upgrade my cab, upgrade my tubes and buy a new guitar first. But the JCM 800 and Vintage modern are definitely top of the list but I wasn't sure.

Cheers guys. This is why I love this forum haha
i played your guitar through a vm and a 1960a cab in samash and i nearly transfered all my college savings to my checking....

Pretty Safe Bet IMO
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Fix your AOR, get greenbacks and be happy.

Save up and then buy a Vox Ac or a Fender Twin.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by moominman2
Right...now the option is...buy a VM and play through a shit cab till next pay day or christmas! Or...upgrade my AOR and cab with c greenbacks and get a VM for xmas hmm

Get the cab first. Or just get speakers, Laney cabs are typically pretty rugged and worth keeping, it's just the speakers that suck. I got a pair of Eminence GB12s for 70€ two months ago off ebay and I think they're just as nice as Greenbacks. They definitely have a similar vibe going on, so I recommend to look for a pair of those if you want to save some cash. These are very common speakers, so finding used ones is not difficult.

A VM through bad speakers won't be much better than an AOR through the same speakers.
Should be fine mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by moominman2
Thanks, just about to buy the JJs

The Greenback 12" speaker is only 25w each and I have a 50w tube amp. Isn't that a bit dodgy?

Not if you want some speaker breakup. Most people with greenbacks and big amps use 4x12's. Over here there are some great greenback clones that also come in higher power ratings but shipping costs would make that prohibitive. In a 2x12 I'd be looking at a pair of Eminence GB12's.
Wait until you finish retubing before you look for speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification