Okay so I play an Ibanez RGA42fm, and I recently purchased an Orange 35ldx. I love the amp, an it sounds great on a clean setting which is why I got it. But I also like metal, and the built in overdrive didnt sound that great so I bought a Boss ML-2 Metalcore.

I then compared my orange/boss combo to my (yes, go ahead and groan) Line 6 Spider III 15W amp. I think my the spider III on the insane setting sounds better because it has loads of distortion yet still sounds clean if you know what I mean.

But the orange/boss seems a little too distorted. PLaying higher notes seems okay, but if I play something on the lower sctrings (say Painkiller by Judas Priest for instance) it sounds too dirty or distorted.

So I guess what I am asking is if there is some pedal that might sound better with my amp and sound closer to the Line 6 Insane sound. (Also I may have bought the wrong pedal for playing stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest etc., is there something more qualified?

Thanks for reading!
ya don't put the ml-2 into a solid state amp.

more like wrong amp.

why did yo ugo from a spider to another solid state amp.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Line 6 has a distortion pedal, the uber metal, if I'm not mistaken. Might be a starting point. Though to warn you, a fair majority of people (myself included) find Line 6's Insane amp model rather distasteful. To achieve a metal sound, most people use Overdrive Pedals (TS9s traditionally) to push their amplifier's already overdriven / distorted channels into more saturation, as well as tightening up the bottom end (usually).

To my knowledge, the Orange 35ldx is a Solid State Amplifier, and this phenomenon / common practice I just describe is typically most effective when used with tube amplifiers. So, that would be my suggestion, to save up the money you'd like to sink into pedals, and upgrade your amp to a tube one, as most people tend to achieve best results using tubes.

Another alternative would be to invest in a better modeling device, like a POD HD or a Digitech RP1000.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
the RP1000 looks cool, would I need an amp cab to play it tho?
Is this for home or gig use?

Home: Headphone out would probably suffice, or running it into the clean channel of one of your other amps. The sound quality won't be the best it can be, but it'll do for home use.

Gig / Band Practice: Balanced outputs from the unit go to a P.A system and can feed monitors and FoH sound.
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
You like the insane setting on a spider? You have more serious problems than your choice of pedals.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
tech 21 double distortion gets heavy

for less money hardwire metal
Mr. Zachary Vex on the fuzz probe: "Congratulations. You must be insane. Even I don't get how to use this pedal".
Quote by muffinman123192
If you like the Insane setting on your Spider, then what exactly are you looking for? Why change?

This.
And moving from a spider to an orange solidstate seems like sidegrade rather than an upgrade
RIP Gooze

cats