Hey guys, Just I got a question.

So I set my guitar up, intonated it (it's all properly intonated, down to 1, or 2 (at most) cents. So I tuned it all up, and they were all as they should be, BUT, the lowest three strings.

They're all intonated correctly, says the tuner, so I'll assume it's right, but when I do the 5th fret thing and whatnot, and played powerchords, it's all fine but on the 2 lowest. I Still hear the "waaaaaahuwaaaaaaaaaahuwah" sound Like when you're slightly out of tune, (it's not very noticable just enough for me to notice, it's not like a viloent wuhwuhwuhwuhw sound.) So I lower the tuning of my lowest 2 strings (Only about 10-15 cents) and it fixes it, So I'm just wondering why It's doing this when it says it's intonated right, but STILL have to drop it a little to PLAY perfectly in tune.

Any reason why it's doing this?

25.5" scale, 13-56 strings if it helps (But I modded the scale and made it 25.75 to hold lower tunings better and to be able to intonate correctly because I tune to C standard, and at 25.5" the saddles wouldn't go back far enough)

So yeah, any help would be awesome.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
even with fresh strings,

the intonation isnt going to be perfect on every fret.

intonate it so it sounds the best
for what you play most.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
even with fresh strings,

the intonation isnt going to be perfect on every fret.

intonate it so it sounds the best
for what you play most.

Yeah they are fresh too, put them on just about a week ago.

But alright, thanks I suppose.

I always figured each string being intonated correctly meant like, everything would be in tune no matter what basically.
ಠ_ಠ

There can never exist a guitar that has a perfect intonation. If you hear a strange wah-wah sound, then the guitar does not intonate well. Although the strings itself are intonated, the guitar's bridge might be an issue as to intonating the strings properly. But this is me, just giving you my sole piece of advice. Try not to notice the intonation issue. If you are a heavy-metal shredder, then this is no big deal, but if you are playing chords, then the intonation issue could be a problem.
Quote by Tango616
Yeah they are fresh too, put them on just about a week ago.

But alright, thanks I suppose.

I always figured each string being intonated correctly meant like, everything would be in tune no matter what basically.

you should be able to get it close.
especially with factory suggested
string gauge.
if you alter the gauge, you might need to
set up the guitar again.

but variations on tuning from fret to fret
can just be differences in fret heights.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
you should be able to get it close.
especially with factory suggested
string gauge.
if you alter the gauge, you might need to
set up the guitar again.

but variations on tuning from fret to fret
can just be differences in fret heights.

I dunno, it's an old kelly model, I've just modded it (sounds ****ing killer)
And Tune it to C, I had 10-52, those wern't QUITE tight enough for me, too loose, and I was young and didn't know about intonation, then got some 11-52....nope....12-54, And here I am with 13-56 tuned to C standard/Drop Bb.

While we're talking about intonation, I really wish I could get 27" but it isn't availible.
But it's possible to intonate 25.5" with 13-62 to Bb standard right? I mean, some 7 strings are 25.5" so it can be done?, only wondering because my next guitar will have those strings in that tuning, but it's a floyd rose, I'm worried the saddles won't go back far enough :P
ಠ_ಠ

13's seems a bit heavy for tuning to C to me. Of course, its personal preference, but did you change the string gauge? Was it intonating ok before you touched it

The Pickups could be too close to the strings and causing magnetic interference. that can mess up the intonation...

Other than that, I would need to see the guitar. you neglected to mention the brand, model or to say if its a trem or fixed bridge. Im assuming its a trem loaded guitar because of the scale length (could be wrong) Trems are notoriously painful to intonate in my experience, particulay floaters like floyds.
Quote by Tango616
I dunno, it's an old kelly model, I've just modded it (sounds ****ing killer)
And Tune it to C, I had 10-52, those wern't QUITE tight enough for me, too loose, and I was young and didn't know about intonation, then got some 11-52....nope....12-54, And here I am with 13-56 tuned to C standard/Drop Bb.

I have a flying V with a fixed bridge, 24.75 scale and tuned to drop B. Intonation isnt perfect, but I never play anything past the 9th fret so its not too much of a problem for me.

While we're talking about intonation, I really wish I could get 27" but it isn't availible. But it's possible to intonate 25.5" with 13-62 to Bb standard right? I mean, some 7 strings are 25.5" so it can be done?, only wondering because my next guitar will have those strings in that tuning, but it's a floyd rose, I'm worried the saddles won't go back far enough :P

7 strings dont need to be adjusted for drop tuning because most are supplied with standard string sets, but the extra string is tuned to B. As long as the truss rod/action is adjustable, it should be possible to intonate, but floyds are ****ing awful to intonate in my expreience. there is a distinct lack of adjustment you can make between the three holes cut into the saddle slot for intonation purposes.

I dont like 25.5 scale 7 strings. If I was gonna go for 7 strings or more, get the 27". String tension is better on longer scale lengths and gives you more room to intonate and setup correctly, but of course, the choice is yours. try before you buy tho because the difference in string gauge might be difficult to get to grips with.
Quote by Tango616

25.5" scale, 13-56 strings if it helps (But I modded the scale and made it 25.75 to hold lower tunings better and to be able to intonate correctly because I tune to C standard, and at 25.5" the saddles wouldn't go back far enough)

What do you mean by modded the scale length? If what I'm thinking is what you done, then that's the source of your problem.. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is the action of the strings may be incredibly high causing it to poorly intonate
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
ok yes.

if you changed the gauge, tunings and modded the bridge
in some way. that will account for the variations
in intonation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Flux'D
What do you mean by modded the scale length? If what I'm thinking is what you done, then that's the source of your problem.. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is the action of the strings may be incredibly high causing it to poorly intonate

Nah, long story short without giving too many details I moved my bridge back, that wouldn't have ruined the intonation, like I said everything is perfect save for 2 strings basically, I guess I'll do like jj1565 said and just compensate my lowest two strings and then everything will be fine.

Any more input on the Bb standard with 13-62 on a 25.5"?
So It can be done without worry then?
ಠ_ಠ

ok I'd say compensate the nut a bit,
but I think you said the guitar does
intonate but Is inconsistent along the board
for two of the strings.

so in that case adjusting for string length
won't help random frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Tango616
without giving too many details I moved my bridge back, that wouldn't have ruined the intonation

That's exactly the source of your problems. The frets and fretboard for your guitar was measured out to a scale length of 25.5". For a tuned string to vibrate at a specific pitch it has to follow a mathematical formula, the results of said formula give the locations of the frets on your fretboard. For the previously mentioned string to achieve a specific pitch it has to be fretted at an exact point. Which means the frets on your fretboard are in the wrong location for your extended scale guitar.

In other words, your fretted chords (and single notes) can't possibly be in tune, let alone intonated.

Check out this fanned fret guitar. Without getting technical, see how the frets slope towards the different lengths of the strings? You'll have mindblowing intonation across every fret and string, and extra chicks after the show.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 2, 2011,
Quote by Flux'D
That's exactly the source of your problems. The frets and fretboard for your guitar was measured out to a scale length of 25.5". For a tuned string to vibrate at a specific pitch it has to follow a mathematical formula, the results of said formula give the locations of the frets on your fretboard. For the previously mentioned string to achieve a specific pitch it has to be fretted at an exact point. Which means the frets on your fretboard are in the wrong location for your extended scale guitar.

Check out this fanned fret guitar. Without getting technical, see how the frets slope towards the different lengths of the strings? You'll have mindblowing intonation across every fret and string, and extra chicks after the show.

Yeah I've seen fanned fret guitars, they feel weird to me. BUT, I understand how it could be the issue, but like I said, everything else IS intonated fine, just those two strings, chords and stuff are all in tune. So I'll just lower the intonation on my two lowest and fix it. thanks for the help.
ಠ_ಠ