hey guys! i've been playing with a metal/hardcore band for awhile and i've thought about picking up a 5 string because i can see how it will be useful. I need something that will cut through in a band situation, and i particularly like jazz bass style basses. so...

Budget: $400
Genre: thrash, metal, hardcore (Lamb Of God, Hatebreed, As I Lay Dying)
New or Used: I prefer going used to get better deals
Home or gigging: I need it for rehearsals and gigs
Closest city: Shoals area/Florence Alabama

I've mainly been looking at Schecter, LTD, or Ibanez basses but, if i could find i nice used Fender 5 string Jazz bass, i'd take it in a heart beat

any help you guys could give would be VERY helpful as i'm mainly a guitarist and i don't have as much experience with bass gear. Thanks!
you should get a 6 string! trust me, you could play dream theater and lamb of god xd
ibanez sr series. nuff said
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
hmm if i could find the Squier used i would go for it and upgrade it. I'm seriously considering an Ibanez. Just not sure what models would fit my budget, especially used. And yes, 6 string is totally an option even though i dont like dream theater lol
Quote by shecter guy
hmm if i could find the Squier used i would go for it and upgrade it. I'm seriously considering an Ibanez. Just not sure what models would fit my budget, especially used. And yes, 6 string is totally an option even though i dont like dream theater lol

Ibanez sr300 or sr400 is achievable brand new. Used you can get the sr500/505/506 which is one of the best basses i've ever played
Quote by Bass First
Rump, a P-bass delivers a rump in the sound such that, similar to the rump on an African American woman, it is the highlight of the tone.
I second the SR suggestion, especially the SR505, one of the best 5 strings on the market
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
so the 505 would be solid? I'll look up prices on eBay and hope i can find a good price. Also, i was leaning towards Ibanez because i have more experience with them and i know i like the neck profiles, not to mention the guitarists in the band use Ibanez as well
I wouldn't wipe my arse with a SR505 but most people on here disagree with me about them, I think they're horrible. Mostly personal stuff.
Just because you've played and liked Ibanez guitars doesn't mean you'll like their basses, and why does it matter that the band's guitarists use Ibanez?
I'd go with the Squier personally, I can't really think of anything I'd bother upgrading on my VM, it's solid as hell, I'll pick it up and it'll still be in tune after two weeks of letting it collect dust. I own and have owned basses more than five times the price of the VM and I in no way look down my nose at it.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I preffer the Squier Deluxe Active 5 to the VM 5...

In general, i preffer active 5'ers to passive 5'ers.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Don't rule out these. I've heard these in person and they kick butt for an inexpensive bass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dean-Hillsboro-5-String-J-Bass-Lightweight-Case-/390309965565?pt=Guitar&hash=item5ae0496efd
1981 G&L L 1000
Dean Razor NT5
Dean Hardtail 5
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Ash
Dean Sledge Hammer 5 Mahogany
Dean Edge 1-5
Dean Edge Q-6 string
Dean Rhapsody 4
Axle Acoustic bass
MiniStar 5 string bass
Dean DOA Caddilac
Dean V-Wing acoustic
the neck profile on the SR505 is much thinner then that of a Squier, and personally i'd rule ou Schecter 5s. I find the glossy necks they have kinda gross feeling after a few minutes of playing.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Quote by consecutive e
I wouldn't wipe my arse with a SR505 but most people on here disagree with me about them, I think they're horrible. Mostly personal stuff.
Just because you've played and liked Ibanez guitars doesn't mean you'll like their basses, and why does it matter that the band's guitarists use Ibanez?
I'd go with the Squier personally, I can't really think of anything I'd bother upgrading on my VM, it's solid as hell, I'll pick it up and it'll still be in tune after two weeks of letting it collect dust. I own and have owned basses more than five times the price of the VM and I in no way look down my nose at it.

Total disagreement here. Since the TS has played guitar a P neck and possibly a J neck would seem like a baseball bat. The ibanez SR neck would be a good adjustment.
Quote by Bass First
Ever played a Schecter guitar? Necks on those are baseball bats anyway. I wouldn't say the SR neck is thinner than a Jazz neck either.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'm an SR guy so clearly I'm a little biased but for good reason

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

What would the drawbacks if any be to starting out with a 5-string bass as opposed to a 4-string? It seems that the extra B -> E would be useful especially if the music is complemented by a keyboard. The A0 on an 88-key piano or synthesizer is only one step behind the B-string, so you pretty much gain the extra ground.
Quote by consecutive e
Ever played a Schecter guitar? Necks on those are baseball bats anyway.

They really aren't

I wouldn't say the SR neck is thinner than a Jazz neck either.

They really are.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Ok, i have a Schecter Damien 6 and used to have a C-7 Hellraiser and neither of those necks bothered me. When i said i have played several Ibanez's, i meant basses, not guitars. It's not like I've never played before. I've been with jazz bands, marching bands, rock, metal, praise and country groups in the 4 years i've been playing. I was looking at Schecter because i really like their guitars. But I've really been looking at the Ibanez SR505. I do appreciate the help though I'm gonna try to head over to a shop Friday that's about an hour away and try out a few Ibanez and LTD basses. Let you know what i decide later lol

EDIT: also, i've been playing a friends Fender jazz bass for rehearsals and i love the neck. I'm a kinda big guy so bass necks don't bother me. I used to play a 5 string Jackson bass but it got traded a couple years back because i didn't really think i would be needing a 5 string ever. My P bass neck is comfortable too, but it doesn't really cut through like i need it too, thus the reason of me looking for a new bass, 5 string was something i just wanted though
Last edited by shecter guy at Oct 5, 2011,