Last edited by phoenix_crush at Oct 2, 2011,
Neither one of your links work.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
VIA host controllers may work, but TI is still recommended.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Your firewire host controller can be very finnicky in what it interfaces with. Some interfaces will only work with a Texas INstruments controller. VIA is the other recommended (thought not over TI) chipset

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by phoenix_crush
I have no idea what that means.

Each firewire card/port has a set chipset type - different cards give different efficiencies and some deal with latency better than others based on these chipset types, ergo less efficient in design chipsets will give you problems. Basically the chipset on a card is who the core features have been designed by and thus an indication of reliability or lack thereof.

It's generally considered the best bet to get a Firewire card that has a Texas Instruments chipset because they one of the collective companies that designed the standard along with Apple, other chipset types are variable in performance based usually how the audio interface in question takes to them - whilst one interface may like a VIA chipset others may not.

The chipset on this is a VIA model of which Presonus lists a few of which as being compatible but not this one directly. What I'm saying is you should google the model number of the chipset I gave you in the previous post - the one you are considering buying and see if anyone else is having any major problems.

Sorry if this is complicated but bear in mind that Firewire isn't as standardised as USB and I will be the first one to put my hand up and say that it is a huge pain in the ass.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Agreed, FW can be a huge PITA. I've had nothing but flawless sessions with it though

I'd stay away from PreSonus if you're on windows.........I have a FP10 and and it's back in it's box until I get my imac in a few months............

see my link for my website and my gear review playlist as I did a product review on this unit, not too happy.

If you REALLY want to stay on PC, go with a firewire card that has the TI chipset (texas instruments chipset seems to be the most stable).
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by moody07747
I'd stay away from PreSonus if you're on windows.........I have a FP10 and and it's back in it's box until I get my imac in a few months............

see my link for my website and my gear review playlist as I did a product review on this unit, not too happy.

If you REALLY want to stay on PC, go with a firewire card that has the TI chipset (texas instruments chipset seems to be the most stable).

What are you running in your computer?

I had an FP10 a year or two ago ago and it had issues running on Windows 7 with audio dropouts (though it was rock solid on XP), but after a driver update they released a few months later, it worked perfectly fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What are you running in your computer?

I had an FP10 a year or two ago ago and it had issues running on Windows 7 with audio dropouts (though it was rock solid on XP), but after a driver update they released a few months later, it worked perfectly fine.

I've had nothing but issues with mine on Vista, windows 7 and windows 8 pre-beta.
I heard it works far better on mac but right now I get dropouts like crazy.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11734693&postcount=1

All I know is I've heard nothing but complains from 90% of PreSonus users out there....most on windows, some on mac. From what I've heard from Tech Support, they think it's a windows issue and also the drivers are really old now being this is a discontinued product.

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/14098.page
Last edited by moody07747 at Oct 7, 2011,
Quote by moody07747
I've had nothing but issues with mine on Vista, windows 7 and windows 8 pre-beta.
I heard it works far better on mac but right now I get dropouts like crazy.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11734693&postcount=1

All I know is I've heard nothing but complains from 90% of PreSonus users out there....most on windows, some on mac. From what I've heard from Tech Support, they think it's a windows issue and also the drivers are really old now being this is a discontinued product.

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/14098.page

Interesting.

Mine didn't work well on Vista, but on Windows 7, once the update was released, it worked significantly better. Still a few dropouts here and there, but nothing like before when I was getting them every 30 seconds of recording. I did end up selling it though and now i run a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, which is much more stable than the Presonus ever was, and only cost me about $100 more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by phoenix_crush
What would you guys recommend around the same price range then?

How many inputs do you need?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Interesting.

Mine didn't work well on Vista, but on Windows 7, once the update was released, it worked significantly better. Still a few dropouts here and there, but nothing like before when I was getting them every 30 seconds of recording. I did end up selling it though and now i run a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, which is much more stable than the Presonus ever was, and only cost me about $100 more.

Yea the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is exactly what I was looking to get and WILL get if the PreSonus does not work well on my iMac..........only time will tell.
Quote by phoenix_crush
hrm... at least 6 or 7 I guess.

So, you're planning on recording a drumset then?

What's your absolute max budget? The FP10 is great, but there are some compatibility issues, and the fact that it's been discontinued, would leave me a little weary about buying one if you're running a newer system.

For ~$100-160 more, you could pick up a B-Stock Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 on eBay that will last you a very long time and they are absolutely rock solid on Windows and Mac.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I want to be able to record a drumset with the Glyn Johns method and track live with a guitar.

I don't have a set budget since this isn't something I'm going to purchasing right now, it's more of a "as soon as I have the money" type deal, but I'm trying to go as low I can(<$300 if possible).
Quote by phoenix_crush
I want to be able to record a drumset with the Glyn Johns method and track live with a guitar.

I don't have a set budget since this isn't something I'm going to purchasing right now, it's more of a "as soon as I have the money" type deal, but I'm trying to go as low I can(<$300 if possible).

Well, honestly for $50 more than what you want to spend, you could get the Focusrite, which is, frankly, a huge step up from anything else out there, unless you happen to find something really cheap. It is seriously the best interface under a grand.

You could settle for something of lesser quality, but if you're serious about recording, you'll eventually want to upgrade, which is probably going to be to the Focusrite, or something similar in its price range. You'll save yourself money in the long run if you just buy something that's going to last you a long time now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 8, 2011,
Quote by MatrixClaw
the Focusrite, which is, frankly, a huge step up from anything else out there, unless you happen to find something really cheap. It is seriously the best interface under a grand.

Interesting that you make that claim. I was, indeed, looking for what you describe as "the best interface under a grand" and after a TON of research, came up with the Steinberg MR816.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/hardware/mr816/why_mr816.html

About chipsets: Yeah, it often makes a huge difference. Firewire can be really picky. It took me a week of screwing around to get my interface up and running. I had to get a new firewire card with a TI chipset before I had any success.

Now that it is up and running, it is amazing.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Geez, I think the one I got was just a generic card. It had even been previously opened, but the store warranted it with the receipt. The big deal was that the chipset was TI.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
Interesting that you make that claim. I was, indeed, looking for what you describe as "the best interface under a grand" and after a TON of research, came up with the Steinberg MR816.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/hardware/mr816/why_mr816.html

About chipsets: Yeah, it often makes a huge difference. Firewire can be really picky. It took me a week of screwing around to get my interface up and running. I had to get a new firewire card with a TI chipset before I had any success.

Now that it is up and running, it is amazing.

CT

Ah, I always forget about the Steinberg units.

They are good from what I've heard. I've heard some comparisons that really make me second-guess the high end RME interfaces that are twice the price, but I'm still hesitant about them, because of certain reliability issues I've heard with them. Plus, Steinberg's customer support is horrible and should anything go wrong with it, I wouldn't want to deal with them.

I guess if I were using Cubase, I would really love them, but a lot of the features it has are built specifically for Cubase, which is a shame. They also don't have MIDI connections, which saddens me.

Definitely would like to try one though. If they fix the issues and Steinberg actually stands behind their product, then it's definitely a good option, but it's also significantly more expensive than the Saffire ($600 on B-Stock, vs. $360 for the Saffire). I've heard the preamps are just as good, if not better than the RME Fireface and the converters are easily on-par, which is pretty crazy for the price. I just wish it was made by a more reliable company who doesn't run the chance of dropping the product and its support at any moment.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 9, 2011,
I'll definitely second Focusrite. Great gear! I also use the Siig TI fw card in my notebook and it has worked flawlessly with my Pro 40

Quote by MatrixClaw
Ah, I always forget about the Steinberg units.

They are good from what I've heard. I've heard some comparisons that really make me second-guess the high end RME interfaces that are twice the price, but I'm still hesitant about them, because of certain reliability issues I've heard with them.

I love mine. I upgraded from a Delta 1010, and the difference is significant. (was also using a Behringer mixer to feed the preamps....) It was a bitch to set up, but once past that hurdle, I have had no reliability issues whatsoever.

Quote by MatrixClaw

Plus, Steinberg's customer support is horrible and should anything go wrong with it, I wouldn't want to deal with them.

I think maybe it varies from country to country. I haven't dealt with them since before they were taken over by Yamaha, but the one time I did have to deal with Steinberg Canada customer support, they were fantastic. That was about 6 years ago, though...

Quote by MatrixClaw

I guess if I were using Cubase, I would really love them, but a lot of the features it has are built specifically for Cubase, which is a shame.

True enough. For me, using Cubase, it was a significant part of the appeal.

Quote by MatrixClaw

They also don't have MIDI connections, which saddens me.

True that. For a unit that cost me almost a grand, it was a bit of a piss-off that it wouldn't at least have midi I/O. I had to get another separate midi device.

CT

Quote by moody07747
Most SIIG cards are TI chipset based.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150092

That one has a TI chip for sure....although I personally have not used it.

How the hell would I put that in my laptop? I think I need an expresscard, but who knows...
Quote by axemanchris
I love mine. I upgraded from a Delta 1010, and the difference is significant. (was also using a Behringer mixer to feed the preamps....) It was a bitch to set up, but once past that hurdle, I have had no reliability issues whatsoever.

Interesting. I've heard they sound amazing for the price, but I've heard the drivers are pretty much a hit or miss for some people, which kinda scares me. I guess if I was running a Mac, it'd be one thing, but I can't risk spending that kind of cash on something that may or may not work on my system, which sucks, cause the shootouts I've heard of them are insane at the price point.

Quote by axemanchris
I think maybe it varies from country to country. I haven't dealt with them since before they were taken over by Yamaha, but the one time I did have to deal with Steinberg Canada customer support, they were fantastic. That was about 6 years ago, though...

Neither have I, but I haven't heard any news about their customer support improving since the horror stories I've heard in the past. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with them myself, but I've also avoided them for the most part. If it weren't for Steinberg consistently failing to address user's complaints within Cubase, I would be running it right now. I really like Cubase, I just don't have the time to deal with Steinberg if things go wrong.

Quote by axemanchris
True enough. For me, using Cubase, it was a significant part of the appeal.

Yeah, I mean, it makes sense for them to integrate Cubase-only features, since they make Cubase, but the really cool features that it can control on Cubase, are lost on other DAWs, so you're pretty much stuck with Cubase for life

Quote by axemanchris
True that. For a unit that cost me almost a grand, it was a bit of a piss-off that it wouldn't at least have midi I/O. I had to get another separate midi device.

Yeah, that's kind of the deal breaker in the specs for me at this point. I have MIDI to USB interface, but having everything in one unit is so much more convenient. Why Steinberg wouldn't include it is beyond me

Quote by phoenix_crush
How the hell would I put that in my laptop? I think I need an expresscard, but who knows...

Yes, you need an expresscard.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Oct 11, 2011,