A friend of mine in Canada recently had to sell her only guitar which was an Ibanez of some kind, and I'd like to try to replace it for her for Christmas. Her favorite guitar is the Ibanez JEM/UV in white with gold hardware. I was planning to try to get her favorite guitar but it's doubtful that I'll be able to save that much in that short a time. I'm planning to get a few of her friends together and maybe get something between us to increase the funds available. Right now we're probably looking at about $500 in Canadian dollars but this will hopefully increase. Doesn't really matter if it's used so long as it's in a decent condition.

Anyway I play a little but I'm primarily a bassist and don't know a whole lot about Ibanez guitars yet. I'd build one for her if I didn't think we'd get huge customs charges, and if we can't get something similar soon enough I might consider doing that later anyway. Can anyone suggest something similar that we can take a look at? Obviously other Ibanez guitars in general would be similar, but it'd be helpful to have a couple of specific models in mind if possible. Thanks in advance.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Are you looking at new guitars only? If so, I'd look at the Ibanez Premium line. They're made in Indonesia, but they're very nice guitars, and not too expensive either.

If you can go used, I'd try to find an Ibanez Prestige of some kind. You should be able to find one somewhere around your budget in good condition. They're Japanese made, and a step above the Premiums. Some of the Prestige models are pretty similar to the JEM, specs wise too.
Used is fine. Thanks I'll check them out.

Anyone know what the customs charges between Canada and the US are like btw?
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Last edited by GAPendragon at Oct 2, 2011,
if your just looking for a really nice looking guitar check out some schecters. the jem's are gorgeous and nothing will ever quite hold up to how great they look but you can find some really great looking stuff for not too much money.

check out:

schecter c1 custom
esp/ltd h series
gibson les pauls
ibanez rg series

and just thought about this, DEFINATLYE look into PRS. they are absolutely some of the best looking guitars i've ever seen and they play as good as they look

http://www.prsguitars.com/products/index.php
It'd be great if it looked good though I'm thinking more in terms of similarities. I'll check them out though. I've heard a lot of good things about PRS guitars on here.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Get a white Ibby prestige and then buy some inlay stickers from inlaystickers.com (or whatever) and you can get the cool tree of life thing happening.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
The JEM/UV series was the predecessor of the RG series. In other words, the RG design came from the JEM/UV. That said, any RG will look somewhat similar, it's just a matter of matching up as many features as you can from the RG series. The Prestige RG's are going to be closest in quality, but are fairly expensive, even used. My 1570, one of the lowest costing Prestiges was $700.00 used. If you can scrape that together, look for any used Prestige you can find and I'd bet she'd be happy. I've seen used and in good shape for $500.00 to $700.00 quite often. Good hunting...
Great thanks! I'll start hunting. And I did wonder about inlay stickers actually.

Out of interest though does anyone know what the customs charges are like from the US to the UK for blank unfinished guitar bodies/necks? I've just seen a matching body and neck for sale but they're in Illinois. I have friends there and also others in Canada but none of them have ever built before or have much confidence in their ability to learn.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
You buying from within the UK?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I could either buy from the UK or send the money to a friend to buy with elsewhere if it'll make much of a difference to the amount.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
er so what are you doing?

sorry i'm not following...

EDIT: Right I'm with you now...

Send the guy in Canada the $500 and make them buy a 2nd hand RG550.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Oct 3, 2011,
I could do that if we're buying an already constructed guitar, I was just wondering if charges were any less for guitar parts than for full guitars since it'd cost a lot less to build one myself and I can get hold of a body and neck that match the JEM/UV.

And thanks for the link but that's probably too close to cost much less than the UV.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
I doubt it tbh unless your very good at building them.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by GAPendragon
I could do that if we're buying an already constructed guitar, I was just wondering if charges were any less for guitar parts than for full guitars since it'd cost a lot less to build one myself and I can get hold of a body and neck that match the JEM/UV.

And thanks for the link but that's probably too close to cost much less than the UV.

If you're using replacement parts, you make one cheap. eBay has a ton of people selling cheap JEM bodies and necks, but they aren't the real deal, and the quality will reflect that.

Now if you're trying to buy used Ibanez parts and assemble a guitar, that will probably cost as much as the guitar itself, if not more.
I've just started to build a couple of basses and haven't had any problems so far. of course it wouldn't be exactly the same but if I have the right parts follow the instructions and generally use my common sense it should at least function as a guitar. I've made other things before, used a soldering iron etc.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
RG550s are good because they are so abundant and are a solid guitar. But don't stop at 550s. also look for 750s and 770s. I watched a mint RG750 sell almost instantly on eBay for about $450 last week. I also see people incorrectly list guitars, so watch out, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. It's very good when you see a, RG570 listed as an RG470.

I personally would not bother with building one, unless you can get the parts cheap. I've found building a guitar is rarely cheaper.
but Warpig does make some great points, only reason i say 550 is:

the 550 is the one most easily made into a JEM...

they also go cheaper and have no pickguard, original edge and you can get them in white all the time,.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Sorry, missed W4RP1G's first post. We must have hit reply at about the same time. Noted, thanks. I decided to build a couple at first to learn more about how they're put together, learn how to repair etc. and I thought it might be worth looking at since I have some of the stuff needed already, but if it's going to be about the same price then yeah I might as well just buy one.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Quote by GAPendragon
Sorry, missed W4RP1G's first post. We must have hit reply at about the same time. Noted, thanks. I decided to build a couple at first to learn more about how they're put together, learn how to repair etc. and I thought it might be worth looking at since I have some of the stuff needed already, but if it's going to be about the same price then yeah I might as well just buy one.

Well, JEMs are so damn expensive, you won't find original parts cheap. But if you find a reputable manufacturer on eBay, I'm sure you can get a replacement body that will rival a real JEM body. As far necks go, it would probably be best to find a real RG neck in good condition and roll with it, unless you want to try your luck with a replacement neck. You could possibly have the vine inlays added to it, if you get a 570 neck or something else with dots, but I don't know how much professionals charge for inlay work. You'd have to make sure the neck heel is for the AANJ joint though.
Just did a bit of quick searching and a few sums out of interest and it looks like one can be made using the DiMarzio Evolution pickups, but generic gold hardware for about $620US / $650CA with a generic double locking Floyd Rose, or $870US / $913CA with a Lo-Pro Edge Tremolo, including the body and neck I've seen for sale, customs charges on those and the lacquer to finish it. The body is only routed for HH though rather than HSH. Still less than the cost of the UV by more than I expected. With a HSH routed body, we'd need to add another $77US / $80 CA for the third pickup.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Last edited by GAPendragon at Oct 3, 2011,
Sorry for the double post. I figured it'd be better than making a new one for the same subject. Does anyone know if I were to find a decent Jem-like guitar in the UK, how much the customs charges might be to ship it into Canada? I know it depends on the country of manufacture but I can't find any kind of solid list or formula to follow. Obviously I'd want to cover it myself so she doesn't have to pay to get a gift so I need to make sure I budget for it. Thanks.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
wouldnt be much of a reissue then though

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Thanks for the links.

I know customs is usually on the other side but I'd like to be able to either pay for it in advance if possible, or at least be able to send her the money to cover it at the other end.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
Quote by Tom 1.0
wouldnt be much of a reissue then though

Well, technically they used a 5-piece neck so they already changed it.

I want a violet RG670 now
Aye true, but then again didnt the original necks warp quite often?

Quote by GAPendragon
Thanks for the links.

I know customs is usually on the other side but I'd like to be able to either pay for it in advance if possible, or at least be able to send her the money to cover it at the other end.

no not really, only thing you could do is mark it as a gift and then put the value really really low... but then you better make sure its really well packaged and wrapped.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Gifts worth less than about £40 are exempt from charges I think but I'm not sure if I can get away with marking it that low when the hard case would probably be that much on its own. I guess it depends on how much the customs guys know about guitars.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
they will only see a box?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Yeah, I won't ever complain about a 5 piece neck, they are sweet. I just love me some AANJ.

TS, my suggestion is just find a cheap Japanese Ibanez(not an RG470, unless you plan to block or swap the trem) make it play like a dream and enjoy it for what it is. Then buy a Jem later on when you find a good deal and have the cash. Spending extra money to try an make something that resembles a JEM will be nowhere near as good a the real thing.
Well if he can snag an old 5XX he should be alright tbh.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
They might only see a box but you have to declare what's in it and they might choose to x-ray it when it arrives. It might not even be an issue, it was a just-in-case question really. I'd just feel bad if someone I sent a gift to had to pay for it. I'll have a dig around anyway and see what I can find.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat
just say its worth like 150 dollars?

i got a guitar shipped to me in the uk with a value of $50, you know how harsh uk customs are, i wouldnt sweat it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Just got a reply from the CBSA. They sent me this:

CLICK

Looked everywhere for a page like that and didn't find it. Anyway they also said that guitars were subject to an additional 6%, that they don't take payments in advance directly, but that I might be able to make an arrangement to pay through a courier.

Posting for the benefit of anyone else who might be looking for it / future searchers.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Ziphoblat