Recorders, recommend me some good monitors!

Budget, $300.

Thinking of the samson studio GT as its a soundcard too, not too fussed about 24 bit data needed to go in as I have a tascam for that.

anyone seen the samson GT / Studio dock / Media one? Can anyone vouch for their quality?
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
I have KRK Rokit 5's. They're supposedly really good for the price, but I'm no expert.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
In the past I've done all the mixing on shitty PC speakers, and to be fair, a few of my mixes have translated pretty good, some are shockers... WAY too much bass compensation etc.

If the samsons were a 5" monitor, I'd snap them up as they come with sonar too.

My mate runs m-audio 5's. If things were cheaper here in Oz, I'd consider those for sure and a fastrack sound card too.

They have rockit 5 and 6 were I teach, the rocket 6 seem really exagerated on the bass, we spent ages trying to calm down an acoustic guitar that was booming!
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by jer-bear5212

Pretty sure those are the ones with the 'gaming speakers' reputation... wouldn't be my choice if they are. Either way, I wouldn't go cheaper than KRK Rokit 5's.

Also, I have Rokit 6's and they hype the low end a tiny bit, but the rest of their spectrum is much better than the others in this price range - the 6's (and moreso the 8's) also have a much flatter frequency response than the 5's.

Either way, you learn the speakers you use - if you think they're too bassy, just compensate by mixing with less bass... no speaker design is perfect, and listening on different systems before mixdown allows you to correct any final misjudgements based on your main system not being ideal.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Oct 2, 2011,
yeah, I really like the KRK, I was blown away when I first heard them, it sounds real! I'm sure theres some sort of EQ adjustment anyway right?

At the end of the day, It's all going to be nearfield monitoring as I'm renting and it's terrible acoustics in every room except the living room. I was thinking of buying a PC desk and modifying it with a false backboard of plywood with absorbtion foam, making both a high absorbtion and bass trap if a couple of inches off the wall.... pretty clever eh? *eyebrows*
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Yea you can tweak them quite a bit on the back panel. I really should get myself a pair of monitors myself, (been saying I will for years now LOL) But I don't really mix music much anymore so I guess they are no longer a high priority.

The desk idea sounds good, I would also get those studio monitor wedges as they help a bit too.
Yeah thats the thing, I'm planning on doing this for small videos and demo recordings etc. Nothing top end pro. In anycase, I have access to a set of genlec and huge JBL's if i need to do some serious mastering.. Might just keep my eyes open for a set of samsons cheap, or hope my mate gets back to me. He runs a shop. It's a hobby, but I still like the idea of the desk.
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Check out the Yamaha HS50m - they're more frequently used by the pros as a pair of smaller testing speakers than the RP5's.
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
mmm, wish I had the money for those! budget..
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
I'm thinking of getting some studio monitors too, as I also have been mixing using a combination of PC speakers, my home stereo and some headphones.

Having read this and a couple of other threads, it looks like active speakers are the way to go, but I have a question:
Does impedance & output level matter? The monitor output on my Tascam is 100ohm, but most monitors I'm finding are no higher than 8 ohm. What about the nominal & maximum dBu?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Definitely go with the KRKs, they are easily the best in their price range, unless you happen to find some M-Audio DSM1s for that price (they are $400 for the pair on AudioMIDI).

I've never tried those specific Samsons, but I've tried others and they're not much better than computer speakers IMO. The same goes for those cheap M-Audios, they are generally known to be pretty poor studio monitors.

P.S. You might want to change your location, because it says you're in the UK, but your profile says Australia
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just an update. Bought some Tascam VLA4's. Apperntly, in the 4 inch monitor range, the only unit that is equal or slightly better is the yamaha MSP3 which is twice the price! They're 35 watts a piece and are completely independent of each other with active crossovers and not some whimsy crossover attached with a piece of bell wire from one speaker to another. They're not very common as they've been discontinued, but from what everything I've read the pro guys say they're flat.

I'm only doing amateur mixes at the minute, but KRK's and a nice USB are on my christmas list. I like the idea of the samsons, but the interface is only 16 bit, and it doesn't have a solid ASIO driver.
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
^Feed the audio output to your poweramp, then feed your poweramp to the speakers?
Owen - Sound Engineer - Mixing & Editing Available, PM for details.
Quote by Beefmo
^Feed the audio output to your poweramp, then feed your poweramp to the speakers?

My ''poweramp'' would be a mixer, What do I need to connect it to my soundcard outputs ? And which input of my mixer should I use to go with the soundcard outputs ? (btw the soundcard has both balanced and unbalanced outputs).
if you're mixer has speakers outs, then just hook it up. If it says "2 x 8ohms" or similar, it might have an amp in there too.
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
Quote by nick dixon
if you're mixer has speakers outs, then just hook it up. If it says "2 x 8ohms" or similar, it might have an amp in there too.

It does say ''2 x 8ohms'' (it's a powermixer). I'm afraid I don't get your suggestion...the 2 mixer speakers outs are already taken by the two passive monitors; I still don't get which inputs (cd/tape ? in ? send ? return ?) on the back of my mixer I should use to connect the mixer to the soundcard.
Quote by GaryBillington
Does impedance & output level matter? The monitor output on my Tascam is 100ohm, but most monitors I'm finding are no higher than 8 ohm. What about the nominal & maximum dBu?

I wouldn't even worry about it Gary!
Quote by kyle62
I wouldn't even worry about it Gary!

Perfect - I like not worrying about things!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
just got the monitors in the post this morning. awesome, plugged them in and got a nice balanced sound, seems very flat and accurate. certainly better than trying to pull a mix out of a pair of mushy hifi speakers.
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass