Poll: What medium are you using to get on UG at this very moment?
Poll Options
View poll results: What medium are you using to get on UG at this very moment?
Desktop
65 36%
Laptop
109 60%
Other
6 3%
Voters: 181.
Page 1 of 2
At this very moment, are you on UG from a laptop or a desktop? Or are you on from a totally different medium like a tablet or a smartphone?
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Laptop, because I can't afford a nice desktop. :\

It's a compaq too, it feels like it's going to blow up at any minute.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Oct 2, 2011,
I have to lie on my bed with my laptop because it hurts to sit because of my rather large breasts ....I have back problems because of this too...
I haz gotten gud
Quote by ApatheticMe
I have to lie on my bed with my laptop because it hurts to sit because of my rather large breasts ....I have back problems because of this too...

aaaaaand there's 1500 profile views right there.
Laptop. I have much more of a need for portability than performance.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Desktops > Laptops in my experience.

I don't need portability as of now :3
Professional lurker since 2009.
I'm on a tube screen tv that I have hooked into the interweb via a screw driver shoved into a phone jack with a few resistors and capacitors acting as my surge protector, and my key board is a assortment of scrabble pieces attached to strings that are attached to command switches on a super computer from the 1970's.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I'm on a tube screen tv that I have hooked into the interweb via a screw driver shoved into a phone jack with a few resistors and capacitors acting as my surge protector, and my key board is a assortment of scrabble pieces attached to strings that are attached to command switches on a super computer from the 1970's.

For a minute I legitimately thought "This guy is crafty." and then.....
My sig? Nice.
Quote by BurningTurkey
For a minute I legitimately thought "This guy is crafty." and then I read his username.

Fixed
pinga
Laptop, cause it's not 2007 anymore.

I do hate laptops though, I restrict what I do on it because i'm afraid it'll explode if it's on too long or something.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Laptop but only because I need one for Uni. I'm planning on buying a proper gaming desktop though.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Desktop, I'd really love to get a laptop though so I can use it on my bed lying down. I mean, the desktop is alright during the day and stuff, but at night I just wanna chill, and my chair sucks balls.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
Hey, Ts. The laptop is on me. *cackles madly*

:dancer:
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Laptop, as I didn't have the foresight to build a desktop when I needed a new computer.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
I'm actually typing this from my iPhone
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck." -Bob Brozman
I guess I'm a huge nerd and spend waaay too much time on my ass at the comp. Laptop is just to clumsy for me. PC=more screen real estate, heavier duty processing for less cash, and my ergonomically pleasing keyboard and mouse.

I really get grumpy when I have to work in different conditions, though if my screen wasn't big enough to have two open windows, I wouldn't be wasting time on UG while I should be writing, so I guess laptops have that advantage.
I assume most UG'ers are students and students mostly use laptops so...
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Spent 2006-2010 watching the computer market intently to decide whether to buy a high-end laptop or a high-end desktop(It took four years because I got a few thousand dollars sidetracked on guitars. ), and my observations have been that, if you want to do high-demand stuff all the time, or when you do need high performance, you genuinely need that top-tier, lightning-fast performance even under those demands, you'll want a desktop.

For most people though, laptops have evolved to the point they're a very viable option. HD screens, quality specs getting into them, larger-capacity hard drives, even in laptop drives, really unless you need the constant cooling, or, again, demand that highest calibre of power, you'll be just happy with a laptop you can take with you.

Now granted, the most processor-intensive things I've done on here are play Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, all with the graphics cranked, and record music, but the only time it's ever slowed down on any of those is Portal 2, and that was in online mode because of the connection, not the computer itself. Again though, the most demanding things I've run are games, which, while resource-hogging, aren't the most powerful things you can run, so I can't speak for those who genuinely do need that high power.

But for the mass majority of the market, a laptop is a preferable option in my mind, as long as you're willing to spring for a reasonably well-built and future-proof model, since you can't open it up and modify it unless you really know what you're doing(Last time I saw someone do it, they killed the wifi and the keyboard), so you really need that thing to come solid and lasting from the factory.

Other than that though, laptops > desktops for my needs, and I think most people's needs.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
Again though, the most demanding things I've run are games, which, while resource-hogging, aren't the most powerful things you can run, so I can't speak for those who genuinely do need that high power.

Try running multi-paneled Pro Tools or Digital Performer with 40-60+ tracks and busses with individual DSPs and automation plus 10GB+ instrument samples loaded into memory. It's like an assault on all of your components.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Try running multi-paneled Pro Tools or Digital Performer with 40-60+ tracks and busses with individual DSPs and automation plus 10GB+ instrument samples loaded into memory. It's like an assault on all of your components.

Now my crappy DAW, cheap MIDI keyboard, and laptop feel small and insignificant.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Page 1 of 2