I've been trying to work on using a metronome. I used one that was free online for a while and it was working fine, but then I tried to do 8th notes and I couldn't do it evenly. When I went to lessons, my teacher had an app on his phone that played a metronome and it would make a different sound on 8th notes and even 16th notes, so that they can be differentiated from 4th notes. It was really handy and it would help a lot, but I don't know where I can find one. I don't have a smart phone, so I'm not going to get the app. If there's a website with a metronome that does that and is free, that would be the most preferable. Does anyone know of such a website?
Don't use one, you're not fully developing your sense of time if you use one since the metronome is doing most of the work for you.

Suck it up and practice more.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by kratos379
I've been trying to work on using a metronome. I used one that was free online for a while and it was working fine, but then I tried to do 8th notes and I couldn't do it evenly. When I went to lessons, my teacher had an app on his phone that played a metronome and it would make a different sound on 8th notes and even 16th notes, so that they can be differentiated from 4th notes. It was really handy and it would help a lot, but I don't know where I can find one. I don't have a smart phone, so I'm not going to get the app. If there's a website with a metronome that does that and is free, that would be the most preferable. Does anyone know of such a website?

Do you tap your foot when you play along with a metronome? Also, you may want to try a drum machine, it has more "life" than a metronome.
Be careful of the app based metronomes depending on what else is happening on your phone in the background they can get out of time due to a chewed up processor or memory on your phone. I would only ever rely on a real metronome because it teaches you to count and forces you to concentrate a little more.
If you mean that the metronome is clicking for the "in between" notes as well, I wouldn't recommend it; as Zaphod said, the metronome is taking on most of the workload. You really do need to learn to subdivide the beat yourself - it takes work but it's worth it.
I have both an actual metronome and an app on my phone called "Mobile Metronome" and I find both useful. The app occasionally lags and loses time but it's very obvious when it does, so it's only a minor inconvenience.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
well I will try the drum machine. Thanks for the responses. Also I don't have a smart phone. I explicitly stated that, so none of those are a concern. The different sounds for the in between notes will help differentiate it for me at first, but once I have that sense of timing down, I'll work on doing it on my own. I understand that concern, but for now I'll work on being in time, then I'll work on the mental work of separating the notes and learning the beats with a regular metronome.
This is going to sound generic, but true. If you can't do 16th or 8th notes evenly, just go a bit slower. Its always good to be able to count the time yourself. What really helps in learning this, is to learn a song utilizing these beats so you can do it with feeling and not be bored rather than just play 1 note continuously to a metronome.
don't use one.

Think logically:

8th notes = 2 notes per beat.

Try the following:

1. Start a metronome with a comfortable bpm for you
2. Start tapping your foot to the metronome
3. Sing or at least hum the rhythm using 8th notes (the sequence you want to play)
4. When you get comfortable with that, start playing with your guitar
Just count the notes at a very slow pace, do not try to count them at a fast pace, it will hinder your progress at the beginning, this is hard to describe but you have to get used to what an 8th "feels" this is especially important for 5ths or a 3rds at fast tempos :P