I'm going to get a wah soon and I reckon I'll probably get either the 535Q, Original Crybaby or Vox v847. The thing that's bugging me is the debate over true bypass. I've been reading all these horror stories about your tone being completely ruined without the aid of true bypass. What is everybody's opinion on this, is true bypass paramount when getting a wah pedal?

I don't know if I should bite the bullet and invest in a 535Q for the extra settings at the expense of true bypass, or grab a crybaby/v847 (could I get a little help deciding between those two aswell) and modding it. Furthermore, I don't know the first thing about modding, I'm not sure if I even have a solder available.
West Ham United
Non true bypass wahs roll off a lot of your high end. Normally I'd tell you to **** bypass considerations but if you aren't up for modding it, you'll either have to deal with the high roll off or buy a true bypass wah.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
buffers are fine, as long as they are good quality buffers. buffers inside crybabies = shithouse. seriously, true bypass that shit.

as for myself, my entire board is true bypass, with a buffer at the front and the buffer on my delay (which is in the loop) switched on.
With a Wah, True bypass is a must, it destroys your high end otherwise. I got mine modded, simply because it sounded like a blanket was on my amp.
I think I would much prefer modding it. Rather than looking for a definitive wah that I can stick with, this is more of a case of me looking for my first wah to mess around with. For now I'm not doing any gigging with it so would it be advisable to just get one of the cheap wahs and get around to modding it later on? I actually like that idea because when I eventually get sick of it destroying my tone, I could mod it and not feel devastated incase I do wreck it in a poor attempt.

Also, while we're at it - the dunlop or vox?
West Ham United
I use a Vox V845 which isn't too far removed from the V847 IIRC. Works for me, but I'm not a heavy wah user. If you want a more tweakable sound I'd go for the 535Q.

EDIT: If you want to mod, steer clear of Vox. Only really able to be modded for true bypass, and that's it.
Last edited by telemetal at Oct 3, 2011,
I doubt I would really delve into modding any further than true bypass. It's not my territory and it would feel sketchy as hell. I'm leaning towards the Vox, it's a little cheaper too.
West Ham United
They're good wah's I think. Not insanely special, but they do what they're meant to well enough.
Yeah in comparison videos I can hardly hear a difference. Either one isn't going to sound brilliant without a mod. Eh, tough choice.

While we're on the topic of modding, what retailer would sell the components I need? I just looked up modding. I need a solder, wires and a 3PDT... I think? Complete noob at this.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Oct 3, 2011,
Yes. Wah eats up your sound like crazy. The better your amp, the more noticeable it is. I got my 535Q bypassed and couldn't be happier. Also, the 535Q is for guys like me who actually use the tweaking options. I'd tell you to get it, coz I like it.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
I was in the same boat...so I just got a pro to do it That's all you'd need I'm pretty sure if you were to do it yourself, but if you wanted to get it done by someone else, check out Toyroom FX, an Aussie user from UG has his own little company going on and does mod work for great prices.
Look up greeny23. I think I just saw a post- he true bypassed a Vox and added an LED for one of the guys on here "down under".

Hit him up.

^he is toyroomfx
That guy was me Hence me giving him a shameless plug.

Look him up if you want someone else to do the mod work, Tim's a great guy, really solid work and easy to deal with.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
Yeah, Tim at ToyromFx is awesome. He did the true bypass mod on my Digitech Whammy, and he's just finished up making me a custom looper.

This. Tim will make your pedal sound awesome, and look awesome. I'd send all my mod work to him if he wasn't so damn far away.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Oh wow why didn't I think about getting a pro to do it? Yeah I'll definitely look into him. Before I do that I'll probably ask my local music store if they can do it, a little easier than having to ship it off.
West Ham United
You know you'd rather support a UGer than a shop. All the cool kids are doing it. And Toyroom has t-shirts, but I never got one, even though I was his first customer.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

After seeing his posts in the building and customizing threads I can tell you that I would rather have him work on it then some yahoo at a local shop. Some shops have people that will take the time, but not often. You will be lucky if they even know what you are talking about.
Quote by R45VT
After seeing his posts in the building and customizing threads I can tell you that I would rather have him work on it then some yahoo at a local shop. Some shops have people that will take the time, but not often. You will be lucky if they even know what you are talking about.

mojostompboxes.com