breakstuff
UG Board King
4,941 IQ
What guitars have you found were worth investing in their obscurity. For example, some UGers previously bought Emperion guitars, and based on feedback from one of them, things did not go smoothly. There was trouble with something (pickups/wiring) can't remember exactly. He had to go through a big hassle to get what he wanted.

So basically I am trying to generate a list of obscure or nonmainstream brands that were worth investing in and maybe we can compile a useful list for reference. Please indicate what you felt was your favorite aspect of the guitar, what genre(s) you play, and price for comparability.
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
I know they are well known amongst many guitarists, but Samick makes a good guitar. They own the factory that makes many of the Korean brands, and their own guitars are just as good. They can usually be found for dirt cheap in pawn shops, and often have good tuners and pickups. You won't see them in Guitar Center though, except maybe used.

I play mostly metal, and Samicks range from around $500 to $200 usually depending on whether you go new or used.
Mr. B.
American
103 IQ
I own a Laguna and I must say that it is a dam fine guitar.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
breakstuff
UG Board King
4,941 IQ
Sorry I created a duplicate thread by mistake; it contained the 2 following posts:

chadreed32 wrote:

DeVries

......errm maybe not

But I keep hearing about Samick and the likes, people seem to be happy with them

Kirky boy wrote:

At least at a budget level (can't say for their higher end stuff) Aria, I have the joy of owning one and it is an excellent guitar or about £200, the floyd on it is excellent, despite being licensed, and othrs that I have played also feel good.

Last edited by breakstuff at Oct 3, 2011,
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Heratige guitars. Grossly underrated.

"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
breakstuff
UG Board King
4,941 IQ
Quote by FatalGear41
Heratige guitars. Grossly underrated.

I would know, it's the brand Alex Skolnick plays, and he loves them to death. I Would love to try them one day.

warmachine169
127 IQ
I bought a Barracuda LP Copy 2 years ago. It looks very very similar to Ace Frehley's...minus the middle pickup. I bought and added a Dimarzio Super Distortion Pickup to her and now...I wouldn't trade or sell her for anything. People always compliment me on my LP and wonder what year she is...hahaha The guitar plays and sounds exactly how I want it to. \,,/
BreeBreeMiikey
807 IQ
Vester, hondo, westone, tokai...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Enix165
He's such a psycho!~
785 IQ
Quote by W4RP1G
I know they are well known amongst many guitarists, but Samick makes a good guitar. They own the factory that makes many of the Korean brands, and their own guitars are just as good. They can usually be found for dirt cheap in pawn shops, and often have good tuners and pickups. You won't see them in Guitar Center though, except maybe used.

I play mostly metal, and Samicks range from around $500 to $200 usually depending on whether you go new or used.

I've found Samick to be a very mixed brand. I tried two Samick Strat knockoffs and they both had shoddy tuners and one had a really bad jack, but my brother owned a J-bass knockoff which he gave to me and I think that sounds just as good as, if not better than a Fender MiM J-Bass, and it was $200 new. Some are duds, but some, like my brother's bass, are gems. xD

Reverend guitars are rather solidly-built, the pickups are a little muddy but they're just as good for the money as Epiphones IMO, and they seem to be more retro-oriented anyways, so I doubt you'd buy one for playing Slayer or Possessed.

Also, there's a brand called Renegade that makes knockoffs of Strats, LPs and Teles for cheap prices(the Tele I saw was $300, the LP I saw was $400 and I don't know how much the Strat I saw was)and I can't find them online(I found a brand with the same name but it's some guy selling handmade Strats for upwards of $1000), nor have I heard anything about them aside from my experience with them, but my friend's owned a Renegade Tele for about 2 years now, and he's played just about everything from Sublime to Sepultura on it and it's taken it all nicely, and it plays very nicely.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Arch1119
UG's Wii
348 IQ
First Act guitars. If you flame this, then you should go to their website and look at the real First Act guitars. A lot of people think that they only put out super low end guitars, but that was just to keep their custom shop going considering the cost of anything from their custom shop is pretty high
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by Arch1119
First Act guitars. If you flame this, then you should go to their website and look at the real First Act guitars. A lot of people think that they only put out super low end guitars, but that was just to keep their custom shop going considering the cost of anything from their custom shop is pretty high

So you think the First Act custom shop is underrated but the cost is pretty high?

I honestly don't see how a custom shop can be in this list.
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist
921 IQ
I used a really nice vintage cort electric for years. I've gone through a dozen guitars but that one will always be with me. Recently, I picked up an old madeira lp dc copy with p90s that has become my fav. I was astonished at the quality difference between it and the brand new gibson equivalent. I'll keep my Madeira and shame on gibson
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Sanox Sound Creator, they are pretty rare, but I belive they are Matsumoto (or however you spell it) made from the late 70's early 80's. Great build for a cheaper guitar.

I see them every once in a while for $300-$600 on Ebay, Craigslist, Kijiji
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
monwobobbo
608 IQ
Vineyard. these are getting pretty hard to find and i'm not sure what happened to them. i have a Strat copy and honestly it's still my fav guitar (despite owning a high end fender strat). the guitar stays in tune even with whammy abuse and plays great. the stock pickups have that cool vintage strat sound with just a little more umph.
Joey Radical
unleash focking burgers
1,462 IQ
Does OLP count as unknown? If so, OLP. They made (the brand is now obsolete) really great copies of Music Man Guitars.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Allow me to add Moonstone Guitars:

Expensive and rare as hell, but very good indeed.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
metalhead352
UG's bacon strips
535 IQ
Crestwood guitars. Cheap, but my old les paul style had the most beautiful finish, and the pickups had more bite than anything else I'd ever played.
*insert witty statement here*
zomgguitarz1234
Everything you love sucks
2,920 IQ
I got my N.J. warlock for 100 from a friend, which had a few problems such as minor chips no one who wasn't playing it would notice, and the post was ruined.

Still considering the fact these went for 400-500 at the time.... totally worth it.
breakstuff
UG Board King
4,941 IQ
I have heard about Mayonais guitars, but never actually played them. They are polish and some say they have great quality/build.

PsiGuy60
UG's Least Wanted
603 IQ
I'd like to take a step back in my guitar playing life and add VGS to the list. Great build quality, awesome bridges on the midrange guitars. Select series VGS... Still good build quality, but most of them need a little attention from someone willing to modify them.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,170 IQ
Quote by breakstuff
I have heard about Mayonais guitars, but never actually played them. They are polish and some say they have great quality/build.

Mayones* They're amazing, and they should be for THAT much money.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

breakstuff
UG Board King
4,941 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
Mayones* They're amazing, and they should be for THAT much money.

Actually its Mayonnaise......JK.

Care to shed some light on what you liked about them; what type of music you played as well?

GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,310 IQ
I've found a few recently which are definitely part of this list:

1 - Gould. I have their Les Paul copy (GLP100 Eagle) and it's excellent. Paid about £60 for it, they're only about £150 new but it's better than any Epiphone I've played.

2 - Aston. Never heard of them before, but I've bought 2 of their guitars for less than £50 each, purely on looks because the pics made them look different and interesting. It turned out they were pretty good, definitely in the ranks of mid-range guitars. Just a shame I can't find out who makes them.

3 - Wesley. Again, I've got 2 of their guitars purchased cheap on eBay. Realistically they're only starter guitars, but they're good starter guitars.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
a_hub10
761 IQ
Vintage by Trev Wilkinson. I'm more than satisfied with my tele copy V62. Well worth $350 new. Great Wilkinson hardware and surprising wood quality. I'm buying another.
Roberj
10 IQ
How about the Gould Acoustics made in Israel? I have a 12 string with slot head, beautiful build and sound, Just found a Gould F150, solid spruce top, mahogany back sides and neck with ebony fret board paid $125 including shipping. It needs set up and might change out the saddle and nut, but already has very good sound, lots of overtones. I have tried to research these and so far only found out that they were imported over 30 years ago to the Chicago area. If you see one in a pawn shop check it out.
Roberj
10 IQ
S101 has a resonator that is pretty cool, I bought one for $200. It is the loudest i've ever heard, much louder than my Dobro. The action is high and the build quality is a bit suspect, I kept waiting for it to explode into pieces during a set but it has remained stable. I was using it strictly for slide and the string height was not an issue, thinking now that I might try and tweek the neck a bit.
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,270 IQ
This thread is 2 years old.

Close it.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
yeah but it's a good idea.

maybe make another one?
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,310 IQ
Seems to me like this is the sort of thread that should be kept open & necrobumped when someone has something to add, rather than having a new thread every time someone thinks of another one which is then rapidly filled up with all the same suggestions as previous threads.

The searchbar exists for threads like this.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Roc8995
2,050 IQ
Only if it's kept alive, though. A thread that just gets a random bump two years later can't really be called useful or active, especially because most of the time it's a brand new user who just wants to list their gear. We have threads like this all the time, it would be a nightmare if they all got bumped whenever a new user did a search.