Hey guys.

So i'm thinking having a 100w Marshall head plugged into a 4x12 is a little overkill for bedroom practice and jamming...

I'm after something that can be easily heard over a drummer in a practice and live setting, and that is extremely versatile. It needs to be able to handle metal (think of Blood Mountain era Mastodon for the amount of gain) and have accessible cleans aswell. I play all sorts of genres so versatility is a must.

I've been looking into the blackstar HT series, however i am unsure as to what wattage would best suit me and if there are other low wattage tube amps available that would suit me better.

Cheers guys, appreciated.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Budget?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Well once i sell my current rig i'll have 1200 AU.

But preferably around $500 max for a head or combo.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Can the Jet City's cut it for metal though? I do own a TS9 i just thought that they were more voiced for blues and/or rock.

Also, what would be the most suitable wattage to cut through over a drummer?
Quote by Mad Marius
Absolutely, they're based off Soldano's which are killer metal amps. Youtube some reviews. A TS9 isn't just voiced for blues/rock. It's also used a boost for your gain signal and to tighten up the sound.

20 watts valve is fine, might struggle to get some clean head room, but if you mic at gigs you'll be fine. The Rocker 30 would be more suitable.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Absolutely, they're based off Soldano's which are killer metal amps. Youtube some reviews. A TS9 isn't just voiced for blues/rock. It's also used a boost for your gain signal and to tighten up the sound.

20 watts valve is fine, might struggle to get some clean head room, but if you mic at gigs you'll be fine. The Rocker 30 would be more suitable.

Oh i had no idea they were based off of Soldanos, thats wicked. And i was talking about the amps being voiced for blues not the pedal but cheers man

I'll look into them, any other suggestions from anyone?
Quote by Mad Marius
Have you checked out the Orange Dark Terror?

I've got one and I absolutely love it. It's really versatile as well...not just high gain stuff. The cleans are surprisingly good as well.
The only real downside is that it's a single channel amp, so you won't do any switching from cleans to high gain on the fly.

Actually one more downside as well...the FX Loop is placed after the master volume, so anything in the FX loop goes up when you crank it as well. Not a big issue, but it did cause my mxr 10 band eq to clip when I dimed the master volume.
Usually I play with the master volume at just around 1 or below (1...not 1 o'clock) at home, so this is a non issue to me.

edit: Guitar World has a fairly recent video review of the Dark Terror that is worth checking out on their youtube channel.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass