I'm looking for some classical music, from a certain time period, just due to some research on an individual I'm doing because he interests me.
The individual is the Marquis De Sade, so if anyone knows some good, perhaps slightly, for want of a better work 'dark' classical music from his lifetime (1740 to 1814) i'd appreciate it
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen. It translates to "Hell's vengeance boils in my heart." Music starts at 2:10

Here's a translation of the aria:

Hell's vengeance boils in my heart;
Death and despair blaze around me!
If Sarastro does not feel the pain of death because of you,
Then you will be my daughter nevermore.

Disowned be forever,
Forsaken be forever,
Shattered be forever
All the bonds of nature
If Sarastro does not turn pale [in death] because of you!
Hear, gods of vengeance, hear the mother's oath!

EDIT: It's from Mozart's Zauberfloete (1791)

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Quote by Das_Skittles
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen. It translates to "Hell's vengeance boils in my heart." Music starts at 2:10

Here's a translation of the aria:

EDIT: It's from Mozart's Zauberfloete (1791)

Never tried opera before, although it does interest me. Particularly Motzart's and any from language I find pleasing to hear (french and Italian mainly).
Also, instrumental classical stuff too of the same era as Sade.
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Wow, 4 responses, not a single one of them by Xioxi
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

I'll look into Don Giovani and Zauberfloete (which I assume is The Magic Flute?).
Anyone know any french operas or classical from the period, as Sade himself was French and he has formed the crux of my interest
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
You might just be able to fit Beethoven in there, but I'm not entirely sure when his Romantic phase started.
Beethoven was more or less an inbetween from the Classical to Romantic eras. Some of his piano sonatas have a darker overtone to them, and all are brilliant.

Chopin's Prelude in E minor is a must, as is Stravinsky's music for Rite of Spring.

Schubert's Unfinished 8th Symphony (First movement) has lots of darker overtones as well

Mozart's 25th Symphony comes to mind as well, and a few movements of Vivaldi's Autumn and Winter violin concertos
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
Beethoven was more or less an inbetween from the Classical to Romantic eras. Some of his piano sonatas have a darker overtone to them, and all are brilliant.

Chopin's Prelude in E minor is a must, as is Stravinsky's music for Rite of Spring.

Schubert's Unfinished 8th Symphony (First movement) has lots of darker overtones as well

Mozart's 25th Symphony comes to mind as well, and a few movements of Vivaldi's Autumn and Winter violin concertos

Love this one.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Joey-Tribiani
Wow, 4 responses, not a single one of them by Xioxi

Hey, I have to sleep too you know

Also, I don't like giving recommendations. I like giving DIS-recommendations though. For one, Chopin isn't in that era, and two, he is a terrible composer whose music is drenched in disgusting amounts of over the top sentimentalism. Every time I hear Chopin I want to punch a donkey.
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Oct 3, 2011,
Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G minor... Also Rachmaninov's Concerto No 3 is epic

Chopin's Etude Op 10 No 4

Chopin's Ballade No. 1

Grieg's Concerto

And my all time favorite: Chopin's prelude in E minor

EDIT: I know this stuff isn't in the time period you requested, but I didn't fully read the OP I just wanted to post classical music....
Last edited by pwnerer at Oct 3, 2011,
...oops. Doesn't mean that he wasn't influenced by past pieces. Besides, he fits well in the Romantic era, and I see lots of Chopin. I rec'd Schubert as well. And Stravinsky.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Why the fuck is someone posting Stravinksy? His earliest pieces were written in 1900, and Rite of Spring is from 1913.

And Chopin? Really? That's music you put on to make some skank think you're romantic so she'll let you put it in her pooper. And Chopin didn't compose/perform until several decades after TS's request.

Did any of you actually read OP?

Also, if someone posts Wagner, I *will* hunt them down

EDIT:

Quote by Xiaoxi
For one, Chopin isn't in that era, and two, he is a terrible composer whose music is drenched in disgusting amounts of over the top sentimentalism. Every time I hear Chopin I want to punch a donkey.

You jelly, brah?

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Last edited by Das_Skittles at Oct 3, 2011,
Quote by Das_Skittles

You jelly, brah?

Nope. He'd have to be good in order for me to spread jelly all over my toast.
Well, aside from Don Giovani and Magic Flute, what operas from this time can people recommend, I suppose the language preference, just because I prefer the sound, would be Italian or French.
As long as they're not too long (I know, ridiculous thing to say about an opera haha) cause I'll need to fit the files on my computer :P
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91
Vivaldi, Chopin, Paganini, Mozart, Beethoven...
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
I probably should have said I'm looking for specific operas, not just composers.
My bad
Quote by craig-sansum

Quote by Sanitarium91